How we'll see Asshai and will we ever visit Valyria?

King of Winters

Short of a reference to him actually saying that, I tend to be believe we will see Asshai in the upcoming books. My speculation is that Dany will indeed go east through Asshai.

I could see this too. 'to go west, go east' or something. There's enemy fleets approaching from from the west... so with Vic's ships they could go east.. through/near the "shadow" or whatever... and circumnavigate the globe a la Magellan, at which point GRRM is all "I own all your history books."

And we'd see this from some flashback as they're stuck on some big sea making for the west coast of westeros.

but even then i'd only give this maybe 20% chance of happening this way.

It hasn't just been mentioned several times, it's been mentioned several times as being very important. On top of that we have someone from Asshai manipulating Dany into going there.

It's been mentioned that mysterious things come from that area. Actually going to that region for any reason has not been stated as being important, aside from that one comment from Quaithe to Dany.

No he didn't he was asked if we would see Asshai in the upcomming book and he he said definitely not. The Upcomming book in question was aFfC.

No, the link to the interview was from July 2011, which was right before ADWD came out, 6 years after AFFC. If you had bothered to click the link, you would see this.

• 3 months later...

Martin confirmed that we will only see Asshai from flashbacks, if at all. The quote that has been bounced around says it all. The question was VERY direct, and there was no way to take that out of context.

[Will we see Asshai?]

Only in flasback and memory, if at all.

It doesnt get any more clear than that. That's like asking him "Is Jon dead?" and him saying "Yes." That answer seems very, very final to me.

That said, we could see Asshai in a flashback. Melisandre was a PoV character in DwD, so its quite possible that she could be one again.

As to Valyria: Dany and crew are all kind of right there; it would make sense that they somehow end up on the old island. I personally think that whatever the Doom was is going to turn out to be very important to the storyline.

I agree we'll get to see Asshai, via Mel, remembering, but it won't be a trip for tourists : She'll probably ponder on things that the Wall story demands, books of prophecies, the attitude of the knowing people in Asshai, why was it that Mel had been sent to Westeros etc. Asshai will remain a mystery.

As for Valyria, maybe something on its history, Marwyn has Aemon's books after all, maybe a glimpse of the Valyrian scenery from afar, like in ADwD; Maybe something from Arya's chapters and Kindly Man's lessons; Moqorro commenting. Other that, no, not really.

• 1 year later...

I'm guessing not-too-distant past because while no one can sail there, a few dragon riders could potentially do a flyover. My big question is will they find Gerion Lannister sitting on a blackened beach with Brightroar and sipping a mai tai?

Yea I predict Dany or Tyrion will fly there by dragons, I wonder if they find a civilization there that Gerion has been living with.

It's been mentioned that mysterious things come from that area. Actually going to that region for any reason has not been stated as being important, aside from that one comment from Quaithe to Dany.

<snip

Remember though that Quaithe never told Dany to go to Asshai. That was Dany's interpretation but that's not necessarily what Quaithe was saying. The main points were that the route to where you want to go is not always straight and forward, and that she wasn't going to find any truth in Qarth.

Archived