How we'll see Asshai and will we ever visit Valyria?

King of Winters

GRRM said we won't see Asshai except in memory of a POV character, but that we might see Valyria.

Do you have a reference? I remember it as GRRM stating we won't see Asshai on-screen at all, and if anything would be in flashbacks or described by characters who had been there (but definitely not confirmed). Would be exicting to get some first-hand knowledge of the place though.

Valyria I expect we'll see once some our happy Essosers work their merry way back to Westeros via Valyria.

GRRM said we won't see Asshai except in memory of a POV character, but that we might see Valyria.

Short of a reference to him actually saying that, I tend to be believe we will see Asshai in the upcoming books. My speculation is that Dany will indeed go east through Asshai.

Short of a reference to him actually saying that, I tend to be believe we will see Asshai in the upcoming books. My speculation is that Dany will indeed go east through Asshai.

I kind of agree with this theory. GRRM did say we were going to go alot father north in the next book. I think that Westeros connects to Essos through the land beyond the wall. We have never seen the entire map so I think those two continents connect there. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Danaerys and her dragons fight with the Others against Westeros.

Quaithe did tell Danaerys in A Clash of Kings that you need to go to Asshai to find "Truth". Therefore, we will most likely see Asshai, as Quaithe is meant to be a prophetic individual.

I kind of agree with this theory. GRRM did say we were going to go alot father north in the next book. I think that Westeros connects to Essos through the land beyond the wall. We have never seen the entire map so I think those two continents connect there. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Danaerys and her dragons fight with the Others against Westeros.

Quaithe did tell Danaerys in A Clash of Kings that you need to go to Asshai to find "Truth". Therefore, we will most likely see Asshai, as Quaithe is meant to be a prophetic individual.

Wow, you just blew my mind. "Dany and The Others" would be a great name for a band, but I am not so sure that it is going to happen in aSoIaF.

Again he didn't say that. He was asked in an interview if we would be seeing any POV go to Asshai in the upcomming book and he answered "we definitely won't be seeing Asshai."

The upcomming book he was asked about was A Feast for Crows.

ETA: Didn't see you post with interview. But still that is a long way from a confirmation that we will never go to Asshai.

I'll put my money on not seeing Asshai POV.

It's been too heavily foreshadowed from the aGoT all the way through to aDwD for it to amount to nothing. Bran sees dragon's waking in the Shadow Lands, Quaith specifically tells Dany to go there to find "truth", the Azor Ahai prophecy comes from there and Melisandre names it as one of the magical hinges of the world.

I don't see how any sort of resolution or balance can be achieved if the only thing dealt with is the Ice theatre and nothing is done to deal with Fire.

It's been too heavily foreshadowed from the aGoT all the way through to aDwD for it to amount to nothing. Bran sees dragon's waking in the Shadow Lands, Quaith specifically tells Dany to go there to find "truth", the Azor Ahai prophecy comes from there and Melisandre names it as one of the magical hinges of the world.

I don't see how any sort of resolution or balance can be achieved if the only thing dealt with is the Ice theatre and nothing is done to deal with Fire.

I don't think anyone actually going to Asshai/Shadow Lands has been 'heavily foreshadowed' aside from one comment from Quaithe. Sure that place has been mentioned plenty of times, but I don't see any reason for a character to actually go there.

I don't think anyone actually going to Asshai/Shadow Lands has been 'heavily foreshadowed' aside from one comment from Quaithe. Sure that place has been mentioned plenty of times, but I don't see any reason for a character to actually go there.

It hasn't just been mentioned several times, it's been mentioned several times as being very important. On top of that we have someone from Asshai manipulating Dany into going there.

and on top of that we have GRRM interview saying no to Asshai.

No he didn't he was asked if we would see Asshai in the upcomming book and he he said definitely not. The Upcomming book in question was aFfC.

In which book did Bran see Dragons rising in the Shadow lands? Osha tells him the Comet means Dragons in S2 ep 1 of the HBO series, but that's all I remember.

In which book did Bran see Dragons rising in the Shadow lands? Osha tells him the Comet means Dragons in S2 ep 1 of the HBO series, but that's all I remember.

It's in AGoT, when he's in a coma.

He lifted his eyes and saw clear across the narrow sea, to the Free Cities and the green Dothraki sea and beyond, to Vaes Dothrak under its mountain, to the fabled lands of the Jade Sea, to Asshai by the Shadow, where dragons stirred beneath the sunrise.

Archived