Most underrated Swordsman

King of Winters

I'm not sure if anyone in the book works could reasonably think Ned wasnt a good sword fighter. Martin says he is capable but the real sword was Brandon but I doubt anyone would doubt that The Lord of Winterfell is a trained man at arms. Not being in the same league as Jaime or Barristan doesn't make someone a non-factor.

Out of world I havn't seen many say that Ned is terrible. If anything I think he might get overrated. People say he held his cards close as if he was secretly some sort've awesome knight but Martin clearly contradicts this. As I said though, a capable knight trained at Winterfell isn't a joke

In-Universe: Strong Belwas, Ser Garlan, Brienne, Mance.

By the Fandom: No clue, probably Lyn Corbay, Victarion or Bronze Yohn Royce. People also tend to downplay Jaime's achievements.

Overrated by the fandom: Jon Snow, Rhaegar, and Eddard.

In-Universe: Strong Belwas, Ser Garlan, Brienne, Mance.

By the Fandom: No clue, probably Lyn Corbay, Victarion or Bronze Yohn Royce. People also tend to downplay Jaime's achievements.

Overrated by the fandom: Jon Snow, Rhaegar, and Eddard.

About Rhaegar, are Jaime and Barristan considered "fandom"? He was certainly not within the best swordsman but he was still considerably good, like Ned.

I do wonder about Ramsay. Roose is pretty disdainful of him, but then he appears to loathe Ramsay (with good reason.) But I kind of get the impression that his brute force and ferocity tend to 'get the job done.' In plate this might make him more dangerous than he might seem on paper.

Then again maybe not, I'm just far to used to Martin hacking my hopes up.

Ser Balon Swann is waay underrated as a swordsman, although he prefers the Mace. He is an excellent archer coming second in the hands Tourney and fought valiantly on the Blackwater. I reckon in a fair one on one fight with Darkstar he would win, but I doubt Darkstar will fight fair.

Brienne is highly underrated both by fans and in the story universe. I think we've seen her fight the most of any character and she's taken down some fearsome opponents.

Garlan seems to be underrated in Westeros as well but I think his recognition will come soon. On the flip side, he seems to be a bit overrated by fans.

Other characters underrated by fans: Jorah, Drogo, Thoros, and Gregor (I know, you're thinking "What?!?!" but really everyone seems to think he only did well because of his size)

I'm surprised how many people have said Garlan is under-rated. He's mentioned as a great swordsman all the time on these threads despite us only having his performance at Blackwater and Loras' word to go on.

I'd say we're all well aware of his skill.

I'm surprised how many people have said Garlan is under-rated. He's mentioned as a great swordsman all the time on these threads despite us only having his performance at Blackwater and Loras' word to go on.

Agreed. It is like saying Radiohead is underrated. we all may not like it but we hear about it too much for it to be underrated.

Brienne- woman in a mans world of course she is underrated.

Jon Snow- Spends most of his time training at arms.

Mance-on here not so much in his world I believe he is pretty well respected.

Gendry? For a bastard with no training he seems to do ok.

Oh and Jorah dude is a bear. Would you want to fight a bear?

I think we mean within the story. I feel he's overrated by fans.

Thoros is a good one. He has won Melees and was the first through the breach at Pyke during the Greyjoy rebellion and still came out alive. Flaming sword or not he is a definite bad ass.

Exactly, most people seem to forget this.

In universe:

• Garlan - Obviously because Loras is the one more in the public eye stealing all his thunder
  • Jorah - His performance in that tourney was pretty damn impressive, I'd say most Northern swordsmen in general are underrated by Westeros at large
  • Stannis - I'm not just saying this because of his TV portrayal, even in the books he does fight, we just never actually see it.
  • Brienne - For fairly obvious reasons.
  • Ned - Again, not even influenced by his TV portrayal, anyone who could even hold their own against Arthur Dayne is worthy of praise.

By fans:

• Rolland Storm - Kept Stannis' rearguard together during Blackwater, even the normally proud up her own ass Cersei considers him a "seasoned killer", that really says something imo.
  • Jason Mallister - This guy seems to be hot shit in the books but as a character we haven't got to know him too well, making it understandable why people forget him, but within the series he seems to be really well respected.
  • Greatjon Umber - Though he's obviously a very well liked character, it surprises me how rarely people mention him among the best warriors in Westeros - Jaime considered him on par with the Clegane brothers.
  • Blackfish - Another popular and well liked character whos skills as a warrior don't get enough credit. Because he's old? He was Jaime Lannisters idol. That should speak for itself.
  • Ned - See above.

Archived