Most underrated Swordsman

King of Winters

Brienne. I dont care if he was shackled and winded, she still took down Jaime, pretty easily too (on the show, at least). I'll also throw out tv Stannis. While book Stannis commanded from the back like Tywin (this has been discussed ad nauseum), we all had to suspend our disbelief a little when he ran in front on the shores of Blackwater. It was a little bit of tv magic that he never got scratched. Even so, Stannis reminded me a lot of Brad Pitt's Achillies, first up the latter, mowing down his opponents.

Brienne. I dont care if he was shackled and winded, she still took down Jaime, pretty easily too (on the show, at least). I'll also throw out tv Stannis. While book Stannis commanded from the back like Tywin (this has been discussed ad nauseum), we all had to suspend our disbelief a little when he ran in front on the shores of Blackwater. It was a little bit of tv magic that he never got scratched. Even so, Stannis reminded me a lot of Brad Pitt's Achillies, first up the latter, mowing down his opponents.

I thought about posting her name, i totally agree with you.

even when biter attacked her it wasnt like she lost a fight.

I also think Ned is underrated. Most people just go on about how he was a good leader in battle but he had to have some significant skill to survive it all. Mance seems to pretty great too but don't know about underrated.

Bronn is underrated...dude is scrappy.

In the books? Jon Snow. Many men who don't get along with him give the impression they think they'd wipe the floor with him. Jon himself doesn't hold himself in much high regard; but I think there are less men in the Watch, Stannis' men, and the Wildlings combined than Qhorin has fingers that could match Jon. In fact I'd go so far as to say even without Longclaw, he's in the top 3 swordsmen in the North at the end of DwD, and thats really only with Tormund and Stannis in mind.

Depends whether you mean in- or out of- character. Garlan Tyrell is a relatively obscure character in-world, but on this forum I wonder if he's actually overrated given that I not infrequently see him mentioned as a rival to Jaime Lannister.

Brienne probably doesn't get the credit she deserves, though. Mance Rayder, too, although I suspect that's largely down to obscurity. While not in the same class, I think Lothor Brune is, looking at his accomplishments in the stories, a very formidable warrior, but he's always overshadowed by the more glory-hungry.

Out-of-character, Lyn Corbray, perhaps? But then we don't know how good he actually is, and he could actually be enormously overrated in-character. He could be awesome, or he could have just got lucky once and been living off that ever since.

I also wonder how Randyll Tarly is with Heartsbane. He's probably not top-tier, but since he's never mentioned at all either in the books or the fandom as a decent swordsman he could be substantially underrated. I have no evidence for that, though.

I was thinking only this morning about the Trial of Seven in the Dunk and Egg stories and came to the conclusion that Daeron II's Kingsguard must have been something pretty special. To fight under those conditions (effectively six against seven, with other restrictions) against an array of the best knights in Westeros and still come out ahead in terms of the score is mightily impressive, although much of that seemed to be with the lance rather than the sword. I have a feeling that (although he probably has more to learn) Dunk himself will end up as an excellent swordsman, though.

Nobody knows excactly how good Ned was in his prime. He wasn´t a showoff that did tournaments.

He might have beaten Jaime if someone hadn´t interfered but let´s keep in mind that by that time Eddard was getting old. If Howland Reed ever pops up to tell people about what happened at TOJ maybe the story will prove Ned to be the best swordsman of his generation.

But, it might not. We don´t really know if he is underrated. He is not underrated by the readers and the fans amongst them, but he is definitely underrated by westeros.

Nobody knows excactly how good Ned was in his prime. He wasn´t a showoff that did tournaments.

He might have beaten Jaime if someone hadn´t interfered but let´s keep in mind that by that time Eddard was getting old. If Howland Reed ever pops up to tell people about what happened at TOJ maybe the story will prove Ned to be the best swordsman of his generation.

But, it might not. We don´t really know if he is underrated. He is not underrated by the readers and the fans amongst them, but he is definitely underrated by westeros.

Well Ned only fought Jaime in the show so that doesn't really count in my book. I wish we can know more about Ned's skill with Ice...he sure could chop a head off cleanly.

Aye, that duel was show-only. It also rather distorts the ages of the fighters: in book terms, both Eddard and Jaime were in their 30s (although Jaime is a couple of years younger).

From what I understand, when questioned about how good Ned was, GRRM commented that he was capable enough, but that Brandon was the real swordsman in the family.

You're thinking of the show, in the books his horse dies and he gets his leg crushed, that's it. They seem to have beefed up Ned in the show, he may be good but Barristan views Jaime as an absolute paragon of a swordsman. The TOJ Ned says himself that Arthur Dayne would have killed him if not of Howland, and then given they were 7 against 3 and Arthur still almost killed Ned, it doesn't look too great for Ned's skill.

I'd say on the forum Ned, Bronn, Jon and Garlan are overrated. Brienne is underrated on the forum and in the world.

Archived