Most underrated Swordsman

King of Winters

Tyrion. Look what he did at Blackwater Bay!

Jokes, and Tyrion transforming into a Tolkien Dwarf, aside; Brienne is pretty good, but I thought the show really pointed out something I thought was portrayed in the books: She's an excellent brawler.

Tyrion Oakenshield! Oh, yeah!

In the series I think that Bronn was pretty underrated, also Lothor Brune, Thoros of Myr, Jason Mallister and of course Brienne.

I'm surprised how many people have said Garlan is under-rated. He's mentioned as a great swordsman all the time on these threads despite us only having his performance at Blackwater and Loras' word to go on.

I'd say we're all well aware of his skill.

I agree. People keep bringing up the fact that Loras said that Garlan was better than him, but that doesn`t mean anything, Loras could say that only out of courtesy, I`m not that convinced that Garlan is the invincible beast most of the forum considers him. We don`t know enough about him to know how good he is, as opposed to Loras who killed to members of Renly`s Rainbow Guard and apparently he took Dragonstone.

Underrated from the in-world perspective or fan perspective?

In world? Clearly, Brienne and Bronn. Both are consistently underestimated due to bias and prejudice of their male/knightly competitors.

Brienne's prowess is not just underestimated it's flat out dismissed because she is a woman. And she continues to be dismissed, despite knocking many of Westeros' finest flat on their butts.

And Bronn has transcended his lowly birth to survive in war and single combat against men that have been trained, armed and armored by their noble parents since birth.

Garlan Tyrell is extremely underrated. He practices against 3 people at once, is unknown because unlike Loras he doesn't seek fame in tourneys, Loras, a skilled swordsman who boasts of himself also admits that Garlan is better.

One of my favorite minor characters. Hope to see much more of him soon.

I do wonder about Ramsay. Roose is pretty disdainful of him, but then he appears to loathe Ramsay (with good reason.) But I kind of get the impression that his brute force and ferocity tend to 'get the job done.' In plate this might make him more dangerous than he might seem on paper.

Then again maybe not, I'm just far to used to Martin hacking my hopes up.

Brute force and ferocity works well in surprise attacks, on peasents, and girls. Walking into a battle against a foe who knows you're going to try and kill them is another matter. Ramsey has yet to fight a real battle.

Garlan Tyrell as obvious. Less obvious; Darkstar. I think people were so annoyed by him and assumed he was overrated so much that he became something of a joke, and alternate meanings were given for 'most dangerous man in Dorne', but apparently GRRM was very confused by that reaction, so I am assuming he meant Dayne to actually be a serious bad ass. Edit: whoops, someone already made this point.

Garlan Tyrell as obvious. Less obvious; Darkstar. I think people were so annoyed by him and assumed he was overrated so much that he became something of a joke, and alternate meanings were given for 'most dangerous man in Dorne', but apparently GRRM was very confused by that reaction, so I am assuming he meant Dayne to actually be a serious bad ass. Edit: whoops, someone already made this point.

Don't get me wrong, I actually like Darkstar (moreso for the over the top douchey elements of his character though, which I find humorous), but I think a lot of the reason people don't buy the surface explanation of him being the "most dangerous man in Dorne" stems from his failure to kill an unarmed little girl. He's going to have to do something pretty damn drastic, like kill Balon Swann or pull a Lothor Brune and cut through a ton of men at arms at once before I consider him even close to the top tier of Westerosi sword fighters.

I go with Syrio Forel I mean he took down men of the Kingsguard with a wooden sword. Also Brienne and Bronn.

Well he took down Lannister Men at Arms, the KG just cut his sword in half and killed him. If he'd had a real sword he might have done very well though.

Bronn isnt. At least not in the show. I sit watching the scene in the first episode thinking "Wow Cersei just saved her Kingsguard", and the same when Tyrion saved the hill tribes from Bronn.

I think he is like Tywin, because he is a BAMF every now and again, we see them as some magical godlike beings.

But Garlan is underrated, and I think Lord Royce is, as Ned was always apparently battered by him according to Sansa

Archived