Scott Lynch, The Lies of Locke Lamora

Olaf

I picked up an ARC after reading all the pre-publishing hype surrounding it, so I know I went into LoLL expecting a lot. I thought overall it was a great book. It's a total change of pace from the more typical epic series out there (I read Erikson and Wolfe before Lies).

The plot was fast-paced and the characters were likeable and well-written. Some unexpected twists throughout, which is also good.

I'm interested to see where Scott takes it from here though. Seven books for a non-epic fantasy series is fairly ambitious (at least I think it is). If he can keep them all up at the same level that Lies is at, I think he'll be a very successful man. And he'll be keeping a lot of fantasy readers happy for the forseeable future.

I've thought of something that I'd like to ask though. For some reason, I've been thinking that by the end of these 'Gentlemen Bastards' books we're going to have a completely different cast of characters from those that started out in LoLL. Any opinions on this?

And about the Bondsmagi, I couldn't take them very seriously because I saw a certain SNL sketch as I was reading the book and couldn't shake the image whenever the character came up. If you've seen it, you'd understand.

Just picked it up yesterday, with more than an ounce of glee. I'll be reviewing it on my site this week, not that anyone needs further praise.

I've only read a few chapters, but would like to point out that Lynch 'hooks' you at the beginning as well as anyone I've ever read.

Amazon Germany couldn't deliver the Bantam–Spectra edition after all, so I ordered via Clarkeworld instead, based on the enthusiastic recommendations of many board members here. Certainly not the first choice for ordering across the pond (because of shipping—Amazon.de is a much better option, provided they stock the US edition), but it allows me to order a signed edition.

Amazon Germany couldn't deliver the Bantam–Spectra edition after all, so I ordered via Clarkeworld instead, based on the enthusiastic recommendations of many board members here. Certainly not the first choice for ordering across the pond (because of shipping—Amazon.de is a much better option, provided they stock the US edition), but it allows me to order a signed edition.

Just today my Bantam edition of LIES OF LOCKE LAMORA arrived via Amazon.de. Wonder why they did not manage to get one for you?

I've thought of something that I'd like to ask though. For some reason, I've been thinking that by the end of these 'Gentlemen Bastards' books we're going to have a completely different cast of characters from those that started out in LoLL. Any opinions on this?

Possibly. My guess is that since the whole series is called The Gentlemen Bastards, new members will be recruited and old ones will die as the series progresses.

Btw, from what Scott's being saying, the story will expand in later novels. The first novel is somewhat stand-alone, but the later ones will feature larger, multi-volume plot threads which will move the series into the 'epic fantasy' stable. Apparently, though, we should abandon any hopes of meeting a Dark Lord (thank God!). An analogy might be the way the first book of Stephen Donaldson's Gap Series is a very slim, self-contained story about two groups of space travellers engaging in a feud in a bar and suddenly the series explodes out into a galaxy-spanning story of interstellar intrigue and revenge.

Just today my Bantam edition of LIES OF LOCKE LAMORA arrived via Amazon.de. Wonder why they did not manage to get one for you?

Probably because you got the last one.

(Goes off to prepare horrible death for Olaf. He will be trapped and slowly strangled by very small beech saplings.)

Possibly. My guess is that since the whole series is called The Gentlemen Bastards, new members will be recruited and old ones will die as the series progresses.

Yeah,

That's exactly what I was thinking. It's also good to hear about the multi-volume plot possibilities. Stand-alone novels are great but they can get fairly repetitive after a few books dealing with the same characters.

Haven't read Donaldson's 'Gap' series. Is it any good? I was going to read them but after having to force myself to finish the Thomas Covenant books, I've put it off (for years).

In case anyone's interested, there's a synopsis up for 'Red Seas Under Red Skies' at Amazon.

Sounds much more like Ocean's 11 than LoLL was.

Mind Elemental: "An author who pops in here and registers to check out the discussion? Awesome."

Yep, some of us young whippersnappers don't hide from the internet as much as the old fogies do. ;) Besides, I'm a slobbering ASOIAF fan, too, and I think I like this place...

Lord Baelish: "And how long until we meet Sabetha? I've been wanting to meet her since the first time she was mentioned. Judging from the titles of the next few books, are they going to be set mostly outside of Camorr?

Ahh, the Sabetha question, heh. The deal is-- Sabetha is such a big, important, special character that I decided it was wrong to have her show up in a cameo in TLOLL, which already had enough stuff going on in its pages. I wanted her introduction to be equally special, as much as I could make it. So, we'll finally meet her, past and present, in Book III, The Republic of Thieves.

And yes, the next few books, with the exception of lengthy flashback sequences in Book III and Book V, are going to be set outside of Camorr.

Werthead: "I'm guessing then that the plan is to keep the books' lengths relatively similar to LLL?"

Yes. RSURS may be a wee bit shorter, TROT may be a wee bit longer, but in general, that's the length I'm aiming for. Just long enough that the books are big, but don't need to get chopped in half for publication or reprinting...

Cuarenta y dos Bannon de la Raza: "I'm also pleased to see that you are from the Twin Cities. Are you planning on doing any local signings?

I'll be reading and signing (or so the plan is) at Dreamhaven on the night of Tuesday, July 18th. I'll be signing stock, at least, at Uncle Hugo's (working on arranging that right now, in fact), maybe some of the local B&Ns and Borders, and I'll also be at Convergence, as I have been for the last seven years... it's my summer relaxation con.

Cheers!

SL

Guest Ser Jaime

It sounds like the first four books will be more stand-alone, with each book taking place in a different part of the world.

My guess is the last three books will kind of tie things together, with a more far-reaching storyline.

Scott has also said he plans to write a 7-book follow-up series taking place 20 years later, in the same world with a mostly different cast of characters.

]Yep, some of us young whippersnappers don't hide from the internet as much as the old fogies do. Besides, I'm a slobbering ASOIAF fan, too, and I think I like this place...

As well as you should. Honestly, people nowadays just don’t appreciate the l33tness of the board like they used to. We can always use some fresh celebrities (nudge, nudge, wink, wink) so…Welcome!

And don’t give anything to MMM. He’s like that kid who got beat up for his lunch money, and whom now wields a chainsaw, grinning madly, as he tries to take revenge upon all whom he perceives have slighted him, whilst making funny noises from the armpit area. You know the type. Ignoring is the key.

On far important matters…you wouldn’t happen to know when/if your work (which I’m sooo getting based on recommendations of these fine people) will be licensed/translated to…err...ehm...Serbian? :blush:

I'll be reading and signing (or so the plan is) at Dreamhaven on the night of Tuesday, July 18th. I'll be signing stock, at least, at Uncle Hugo's (working on arranging that right now, in fact), maybe some of the local B&Ns and Borders, and I'll also be at Convergence, as I have been for the last seven years... it's my summer relaxation con.

Cheers!

SL

Great! I'll be looking forward to meeting you. Probably at Dreamhaven. I just got back from Uncle Hugo's. Went to get a Laurell Hamilton sig, but I didnt have time to wait around for 3 hours.

Looks like Neil at Clarkesworld is getting his stock signed, so I'm still waiting for it to show :)

Looks like Neil at Clarkesworld is getting his stock signed, so I'm still waiting for it to show :)

damn him..

and I wonder who is to blame for my buying a book.. then buying it again from Neil so that I have a signed copy...

its getting to be a bit out of hand :D

Just finished the book, and I think it was GREAT! Buy it! You will like it! Consider it an investment, I think this is the beginning of something big and you should be able to unload a first edition for a small profit on Ebay in a few years even if you are underwhelmed, but I bet you keep it.

Very fun, relentless pacing, asses that deserve to be kicked are kicked in satisfying fashion, some friends are lost in touching scenes, the city comes alive in your mind, the scams original and exciting, and the language refreshingly not clunky fantasy pretension.

I'll be snapping up each further book in the series on the day of publication, and recommending it to friends.

This is a great book to recommend to friends who don't like fantasy, or don't like to get bogged down in fantasy series. It works fine as a stand alone -- it doesn't end with the heroes resolving to put a Dark Lord down.

Since Mr. Lynch is reading, couple of side comments and questions:

Gentled animals are creepy. I'm going to have nightmares about immoble goats.

Will there be one or more prequels? Concerning the fate of a certain mentor, and maybe some of the earlier scams? There's a big gap of potentially interesting stuff between young Locke and the Locke of the main plot.

Oh, and what were those last syllables one of the characters whispered at the end? You can tell us, we keep secrets well. It will never leave this website.

The reviews from the posters on this website are quite impressive. Outside of GRRM, even the most highly regarded fantasy authors seem to divide our community here -- Bakker and Erikson each seem to divide posters 50/50, Jordan is even less regarded, and of course Goodkind is an object of derision.

So to have such universally positive response from I believe is a highly intelligent and knowledgable body of readers if very impressive. I will definitely, absolutely be getting a copy based on the recommendations here.

So Scott, I've checked your website and you state that you'll sign and return a copy mailed to you (assuming we include a stamped box). I think I'll take advantage!

I appreciate the attitude you are showing to fans, both on this site and in your policies stated on your own site. You seem to be well on the way to building a loyal following.

Thanks for visiting us, feel free to jump in on other threads if you have the time. Too bad GRRM won't join us . . . (but I understand his reasons).

HE, I just ordered the last copy of the US-edition. :P After having to deal with the absolutely crappy binding of some UK-editions, I'll stick to the US copies.

All those reviews here have really watered my mouth, so yeah - my espectations are running high now.

So you go on the list as well. What do you chose: strangulation by sapling, suffocation by pollen, or oxygen overdose?

Hmm, it really looks like it sucks to be you :)

I got my copy yesterday and haven't had a chance to start reading it yet. I was even considering letting my fiancee read it first (I got her hooked on ASOIAF some time ago), but she declined the offer... Now I may have to reconsider this whole wedding thing, you know :)

I may have to take up the offer of the mailing in the book for a signature as well, actually. Sounds like a good idea to me.

Archived