Scott Lynch, The Lies of Locke Lamora

Olaf

Ashara: "Uhm, is there some sort of a date for a Canadian (or USA) release?"

Well, the USA release was a week ago; the Canadian date is a bit weirder. For some reason, the UK version of the book won't be formally arriving up there until September. The US edition, at stores that have arranged to carry it, should be available now. I have no idea why Canada has such a weird situation concerning this book release...

Lann the Clever: "How do the dates work? I noticed that it would be the "seventy-seventh year of *blabbity bla*" then the "seventy-seventh year of *bibbity-boo*." How does that work?"

I mean to put a little article up on my website about this, but I can summarize here. The thing about the Therin calendar is that they mark time in increments of twleve years, one year for each of their twelve (official) gods. Their first officially-recorded year ever would have been "The First Year of God One," followed by "The First Year of God Two," followed by "The First Year of God Three," and so on. After twelve years, you're on to "The Second Year of God One," and so forth.

In Locke's time, the Therin people have been using this screwed-up calendar for 77 x 12 years plus a few, so about 920+ years (more precise dates become known in later books, heh). The Vadrans, much more sensibly, keep track of the years as we do. The present Vadran year (in the main plot of TLOLL) is 560.

I used this system because I wanted to sort of represent the fact that local customs are often illogical and hard to fathom. ;) Same reason the Camorri currency system isn't a straightforward roleplaying game-style "ten coppers equals one silver" sort of affair.

Chataya: "Fuck Bakker. Fuck Erikson. Read Scott Lynch!!!!"

Dammit, what are those guys doing right that they get all the sex, while all people want to do with me is read my books? ;P

Xray the Enforcer: "Somehow, I just don't see a Lynch vs. Erikson thread making it, either."

You guys should at least give me a chance to read Gardens of the Moon first, so I could follow along. ;) (Stares guiltily at the nice hardcover of GotM he picked up at KeyCon that is now sitting beside his desk under a pile of author copies of TLOLL...)

aeu: "Scott, you need to get into the actual ASOIAF forums sometime if you're the diehard the rest of us are. It's addictive as crack complete with actual physical withdrawal symptoms when your computer crashes (but stay away from the Goodkind threads, we don't want you to get infected)."

Ahhh, god, you have no idea how much these Goodkind threads tickle me. If you read and enjoy Goodkind, hell, go for it-- I've got nothing against you. It's just that... there are a lot of writers whose work I regard as crap, but Goodkind is the only one I know of who goes out of his way to constantly insult and belittle his readers (and the artistic heritage of the genre I love). I consider that beyond the pale.

I will definitely get into other threads, time permitting. ;)

Victor Bazzleschenko: "Even authors should be allowed to browse the internet. We shouldn't expect them to work 60+ hours a week just to satisfy us*.

* Except GRRM. Crack the whip!

Poor George. At this point, the guy just can't win. If his house were burning down, the first team of firefighters to enter would be muttering, "Must find the manuscript! Must find the manuscript!" If he were to announce online that he had a week to live, fandom at large would be like: "He has to finish the whole series in less than a week! Yay!" ;)

I think George and I do share one major annual productivity sink, which is to say-- football season.

Cheers!

SL

Also, Linda-- I'm sorry the book didn't really do it for you. Authors have to live with the fact that we can't possibly please everyone, but it's much easier to live with in theory than to see it personified. ;)

I'm glad that at least some of it was amusing and diverting, and it was very nice of you to be so polite while dissecting it!

Cheers and best,

SL

If I may be so bold, I have two questions regarding magic:

- Is magic something that can be taught to everyone or is it more of an inborn ability that is brought forth b proper training?

- How do the bondsmages ensure their monopoly in the more distant countries and cities?

Alarich: "- Is magic something that can be taught to everyone or is it more of an inborn ability that is brought forth b proper training?

The ability to manipulate magical energy is a rare, non-heritable genetic trait, like having perfect pitch. It manifests itself in many subtle ways when untrained, but needs years of focus and discipline to advance it to a truly useful and dangerous level. Trained magicians are generally able to sense the 'quality of magic' in one another, and in the untrained.

"- How do the bondsmages ensure their monopoly in the more distant countries and cities?"

It's possible that in some cases they don't. ;) But in previous centuries, they mounted a number of utterly ruthless expeditions to distant nations to strengthen their monopoly. As I mentioned above, the thing about magic in Locke's world is that practice makes perfect, and practice is much easier when you have a capable teacher to guide you. When the Bondsmagi carried out various acts of mass murder overseas, they effectively stunted the future development of magic in those places for quite a long while...

The Bondsmagi will come into close focus in Book III of the sequence. Saying more borders on ruining the fun. ;)

Ciao!

SL

Thanks a lot for your answers! :)

The Bondsmagi will come into close focus in Book III of the sequence. Saying more borders on ruining the fun.

Book three it is then... I'll wait in eager anticipation! :)

Oh, and one last question (last one - for today... ;) ): I already mentioned that I really liked the role alchemy plays in Lockes world, I was just wondering why they had invented formulas for all sorts of wonderous hybrid plants and the like but not for gunpowder (or at least they didn't put it to military use)? My theory was that maybe the smelting technology is not far enough advanced to produce barrels that can resist the pressure from exploding gunpowder.

LoLL is a good but not phenomenal book.

The flow of the story is constantly interrupted by interludes and I sort of expected more from the main character after hearing how awesome he is. And because of the nature of Locke's profession I thought that the plot would be more complex and have more twists. I have to admit that Grey King's use of Locke in his plan (

SPOILER: LoLL
as a tool for faking his death
) is genious. There are also numerous memorable scenes and the setting is interesting.

The dialogues are always hilarious and extremely well written. Every conversation feels natural and because of this the characters seem very real.

There is no reason to compare the book to Scott Bakker's work simply because they are so very, very different.

Also, Linda-- I'm sorry the book didn't really do it for you. Authors have to live with the fact that we can't possibly please everyone, but it's much easier to live with in theory than to see it personified. wink.gif

I'm glad that at least some of it was amusing and diverting, and it was very nice of you to be so polite while dissecting it!

I can definitely see why most everyone else have enjoyed it a lot, so I am putting it down to primarily a quirk in my sometimes very girly tastes. ;)

Now, if a future book (because I do plan to keep reading) has plenty of (unGentled -- and btw, Gentled is such a scary concept, which creeped me out about as much as Hobb's Forged people) horses, it would certainly be a bonus that would grab my attention. ;)

The Bondsmagi will come into close focus in Book III of the sequence. Saying more borders on ruining the fun.

When Bondsmagi are concerned, I am not sure 'fun' is the right word. Well, at least not 'fun' for everyone. Creepy guys. :)

I mean to put a little article up on my website about this, but I can summarize here. The thing about the Therin calendar is that they mark time in increments of twleve years, one year for each of their twelve (official) gods.

Thank you Scott for answering this question (and thanks to Lann for asking). I was also curious/confused by the system, but this clears that issue up a bit.

Chataya: "Fuck Bakker. Fuck Erikson. Read Scott Lynch!!!!"

Dammit, what are those guys doing right that *they* get all the sex, while all people want to do with me is read my books? ;P

Cheeky, cheeky. :P Now, it's all well and good when the ladies like Chataya and I get all giggly. But are you sure you're ready for the man-crushes?

You guys should at least give me a chance to read Gardens of the Moon first, so I could follow along. ;)

That makes two of us. Although I'm having a hard time imagining a "natural" Lynch nemesis in the way that Erikson vs. Bakker has played out. You're kind of in your own niche right now.

In any case, thank you for all the answers and comments!

Attention : Anyone in the Twin Cities area.. Scott is doing a reading/ signing at Dreamhaven on Tuesday July 18th at 6:30.

Anyone besides me going?

Thinking about it, I'll check my schedule.

That makes two of us. Although I'm having a hard time imagining a "natural" Lynch nemesis in the way that Erikson vs. Bakker has played out. You're kind of in your own niche right now.

Maybe Scott (middle) and Joe Abercrombie (far left) could fake a long-running internet battle to the death for gross commercial purposes (sort of Blur vs. Oasis)? If they connive to release future installments of their respective series at the same time this would increase publicity. Imagine VGSF posters everywhere screaming, "WHICH IS BETTER? BUY BOTH AND DECIDE!" Everyone's a winner.

EDIT1: There's also a discussion of the book going on on the SFX Forum here.

EDIT2: Mr. Lynch now seems to have a Wiki page on him. :thumbsup: Always good.

He has also just had the ultimate SF/F accolade given to him - he's being included in the infamous Thog's Masterclass at http://news.ansible.co.uk/a228.html (it is quite a long way down the page)

Neat Tricks Dept. `The priest's richer, deeper voice chased the Thiefmaker's objection right back down his throat.' `The Thiefmaker tried to let a vaguely sincere expression scurry onto his face, where it froze in evident discomfort.' (Scott Lynch, The Lies of Locke Lamora, 2006) [RGP]

You know you've succeeded in the SF/F world when you've been included there.

Awesome. Langford is The Man. Even Jordan took a few books to start getting mentioned on there. And then he was mentioned every other month for about three years.

Well, the USA release was a week ago; the Canadian date is a bit weirder. For some reason, the UK version of the book won't be formally arriving up there until September. The US edition, at stores that have arranged to carry it, should be available now. I have no idea why Canada has such a weird situation concerning this book release...

Now, that must be our own unique way to get the worst of the two worlds or something. For once we got included in the Commonwealth (usually we are with US), but by whatever reason did not get the "early release" advantage of it.... And with UK probably being the "official" one, library would have probably ordered that one. :rofl:

Thank you for replying. I hope to read it once it makes it all the way to the Wild West. :mellow:

Hey Scott,

I'm still waiting for my bribe money. ;) What's up with that!?! And so are Stego and Jay, if I'm not mistaken. . .

I don't understand. I write a good review, do an interview, and I'm even trying to get you a French interview. So what gives!?!

Pay up, or I'll have no choice but to tell everyone that Goodkind's chicken that is not a chicken is in truth Locke's father! :P

No but seriously, it's nice to see how well-received the book has been on both sides of the Atlantic Ocean! :D Keep up the good work!

Patrick

Well, I stayed up until 3am to finish reading the book, which is always a good sign. To echo the thoughts of others it's always nice to go in with high expectations and have them more then met. I especially enjoyed the little 'interlude' chapters for background information. I wonder if this was just employed because it was the first book, or if it will carry over in the later ones.

It's also refreshing to have the first novel of a planned series be pretty damn independant and self contained. Well done, Scott and I'll look forward to your future books!

Indeed. Those flashbacks were reminiscent of Lost, actually, although I doubt we'll see polar bears playing a major role in the plot. I also liked the fact that one character was repeatedly mentioned but we never meet her, leading me to assume that we'll see her in flashbacks and 'in-book' at some future time.

-Lots of talk about The Lies of Locke Lamora at Readercon. Larry Smith is always the guy for new books at conventions, and he's pushing this one pretty hard. "New and good, you say? The Lies of Locke Lamora!"

He then went on to quote a few lines from the book. "I don't know where he came from, but this kid is something special."

All the while I'm nodding enthusiastically. The lady he was speaking to yawned and asked if he had the new Mike Resnick.

Sigh.

-It seems Dylanfantatic emailed Scott Bakker a link to the debate we were having about him over here, and he was tickled at it. I told him he needs to start posting like Scott Lynch, and he seems keen on the idea.

It does seem to that to be a critically acclaimed modern epic (-ish) fantasy author, you get bonus points for being called Scott. On the other hand, if you want sales but don't mind being critically mauled, then you should call yourself Terry.

(resolves to change name to Scott Terry, cackles evilly)

Archived