Scott Lynch, The Lies of Locke Lamora

Olaf

I finally finished reading TLOLL this week-end, and I have to add my voice to the praising chorus.

The book is fun to read, the characters are a delight and except for the first that confused me, I really like the interlude structuration: they integrate well between the cliffhanger and the next chapter, they are actually relevant to what's to come and they flesh out the story a great deal. I'm not sure it would have had the same impact if the informations had been laid out linearily and we had actually known the background before the action started. It's a nice evolution from the usual gnomic utterances, anyhow, and could make for a tarantino style sequenced movie easily.

Anyway, I hope all this praise won't go too much to Mr Scott Lynch's head, and that the next books will be as nice or even better than Lies. I'm already shaking with anticipation. (We get to see Sabetha, too?) ;)

Rhelly: "P.S. Scott Lynch is a cheesehead, not a proper Minnesoootan"

Hey! I spent 26+ years in Minnesota, and have spent less than two in Wisconsin... I know that makes me a mutant, but I haven't yet converted to a full cheesehead. You're not a full cheesehead until you start willingly watching Brewers games. We live just a few miles too far to the east to get Twins games on FSN, and as far as I'm concerned Brewers games are worse than no baseball at all. Bwahaha! :P

Cheers,

SL

Scott, you need to move a couple miles west - these kids (Liriano, Mauer, Morneau, Tyner) are making it fun to watch again.

See you at Dreamhaven (crossing my fingers and hoping my wife doesn't change plans)

Scott, you need to move a couple miles west - these kids (Liriano, Mauer, Morneau, Tyner) are making it fun to watch again.

See you at Dreamhaven (crossing my fingers and hoping my wife doesn't change plans)

Hope to see you as well! Oh, I'm paying attention to the Twins as best I can... just a damn pity they're in a division with the ChiSox and the Tigers (full props to the latter for their rebirth from the bums of just a few seasons ago), with a record that would put them in first or strong wild-card contention in nearly any other division in the game. Ah, well... almost half a season still to go.

Cheers!

S

Scott:

Welcome aboard. On the plane flight out to Los Angeles a week ago (a 1-way flight, as I've taken the plunge to move out here and try to make a living at this screenwriting stuff that has been taking up my life for the last 6 years), I read about half of LoLL -- fantastic stuff. I haven't been engaged by any fantasy since ASOIAF, so that says a lot.

Keep them coming and continued success. If you ever need someone to help you adapt LoLL for the screen... just shine the spotlight into the sky.

Whew. I am up waaay too late... hopefully, I'll see some of you at Dreamhaven this evening. If you're there, don't hesitate to mention that you're here on the ASOIAF board. I'm curious.

The Halfhand: Thanks for the kind words. :) Making flights pass less painfully is the sacred charge of authors everywhere. I would have gnawed somebody's arm off to have something really entertaining with me on my last flight back from England... but I'd read all the good stuff I brought on the flight over.

Errant Bard: "We get to see Sabetha, too?"

SPOILER: Gentleman Bastard Sequence
Locke and Jean talk a bit about her in RSURS. You won't actually meet her until Book III, The Republic of Thieves, which is more or less all about her, in flashback and in the present. ;)

Xray: "Finally -- when the HELL are you going to get to the East Coast (aka NYC or Boston?!) Because we got hospitality, too..."

*Gulp* Now I'm scared -not- to come out... um, honestly, I don't know when I'm going to get out east. I'll be in Austin, TX in November for the World Fantasy Con and I'm going to be in Chicago doing at least one public event some time in September/October... as for 2007, I can't say yet.

Okay. Now, for Ran, in response to your questions:

SPOILER: The Lies of Locke Lamora

The common yellowjackets are vaguely aware of the peace; they know that the crooks of the city are NOT to mess with them or take their things, and that there are certain neighborhoods that they just sort of leave alone, and that the Right People routinely rat out their worst (in every sense of the word). As far as they're concerned, it just makes their job that much easier... they don't need to poke around and do too much actual work, and for the most part they don't need to worry about getting victimized by crime themselves.

As for Locke returning to Camorr, yes, he will eventually return, but not before Book V* in the sequence. :) As for the criminal landscape after he and Jean leave the city, well, I haven't yet ruled out the possibility of writing a few fill-in or side-event novella not featuring the main cast. Bwahahaha...

*(Except in flashbacks)

Cheers!

SL

If I didn't know better, I'd say you got a whole lot of books in that head of yours, Scott.

As for your travel plans, with the US East Coast having to wait so long, I'd assume that the Norwegian West Coast have to wait until at least the end of next year before you grace us with your presence?;)

Whelp, I started TLoLL over the weekend, and just finished it in a little over 36 hours (which is a minor miracle for me). Very much liked it! Most of my questions have already been asked (and answered by Scott himself), but I don't think I've heard this question asked yet: were the character-building flashbacks at all inspired by the Kill Bill movies? I couldn't help but picture Pai Mei teaching Uma the five point palm-exploding heart technique when reading the flashbacks of Jean Tannen's fighter training. The storyline about the whores retaliating against their pimps reminded me of Sin City, too. I know, I watch too many movies.

Already been mentioned multiple times, but I loved the descriptions of the food (alcohol oranges? Where can I get me some of those?!), and hybrid creatures such as the scorpion falcon,devilfish, etc.

Oh, I'm paying attention to the Twins as best I can... just a damn pity they're in a division with the ChiSox and the Tigers (full props to the latter for their rebirth from the bums of just a few seasons ago), with a record that would put them in first or strong wild-card contention in nearly any other division in the game. Ah, well... almost half a season still to go.

This is a long shot, but if you're a big sports fan Scott, you should join the Fantasy Baseball and Fantasy Football leagues set up here in Forum Games. They're fun as hell, and we'd all love the chance to kick your ass week in and week out. ;)

Iceman of the North: "As for your travel plans, with the US East Coast having to wait so long, I'd assume that the Norwegian West Coast have to wait until at least the end of next year before you grace us with your presence?"

Hey, man, send me two round-trip plane tickets and I'll send you an author and his lovely fiancee. ;) Incidentally, the rights to a Norwegian edition of TLOLL were just sold last week... to a publishing outfit called Damm(?). Does that right any bells?

MakahaBoy: "were the character-building flashbacks at all inspired by the Kill Bill movies?"

Not by the Kill Bill movies in particular, but by Tarantino's work in general-- definitely. The unconventional chronology of Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction made a big impression on me.

"This is a long shot, but if you're a big sports fan Scott, you should join the Fantasy Baseball and Fantasy Football leagues set up here in Forum Games. They're fun as hell, and we'd all love the chance to kick your ass week in and week out."

I played in a fantasy baseball league last summer, and got my ass kicked up between my teeth. Repeatedly. I scored a pile of killer pitchers in the draft and based my team around the bullpen, not realizing that such a setup required the most delicate and timely adjustments to my fantasy lineup... something I couldn't give it for 160+ days. I'm still walking funny from the experience. :)

Cheers!

SL

Hey, man, send me two round-trip plane tickets and I'll send you an author and his lovely fiancee. ;)

With the cash starting to flow in to your account following the tremendous sale of TLOLL, money should surely be no problem? ;)

Incidentally, the rights to a Norwegian edition of TLOLL were just sold last week... to a publishing outfit called Damm(?). Does that right any bells?

Cool. I have to admit that I don’t know too much about Damm, beyond them being a publishing house, and the publisher of the Norwegian edition of some books by a Scottish author called Rowling or something. To be fair, it’s been a long time since the last time I read a Norwegian edition of an English book.

One last reminder.

6:30 tonight

Dreamhaven

Lake Street Uptown Minneapolis

Scott will be reading and signing, and perhaps even singing his book

Apparently there will be fruit and fizzy drinks available as well :P

I will be there

Rhelle will be there

Dagger Is coming

R'holler Coaster is probable.

Cmon the rest of you.

It will be fun, We are planning a drink or two afterwards.

Scott, if you are free we'd love the chance to buy you a beer or other beverage.

*Gulp* Now I'm scared -not- to come out... um, honestly, I don't know when I'm going to get out east. I'll be in Austin, TX in November for the World Fantasy Con and I'm going to be in Chicago doing at least one public event some time in September/October... as for 2007, I can't say yet.

Well then, make sure you give the details for your trips. Especially Chicago!

Race -- Report?

*Gulp* Now I'm scared -not- to come out... um, honestly, I don't know when I'm going to get out east. I'll be in Austin, TX in November for the World Fantasy Con

Scott -- We're nice, I swear. Ask Iceman. We left him a bloody hungover wreck only one day of his multiple-day stay in our Fair City. In any case, we hope to make it to WFC in November, so perhaps we can render you a bloody hungover wreck just prior to your first panel with a belligerent Tor editor. ;)

I hadn't picked up on the Tarantino influence, but now that everyone mentions it... (hey, I'm not much of a film person. I'd rather have a book clutched in one hand and a cocktail clutched in the other.)

Just finished "Lies" last night, it gets a big thumbs up solely for a certain punch to a certain Dona:) I really enjoyed this book and I have to say that my enjoyment has now been compounded by the fact that Locke Lamora is indeed named after Locke Cole. I wonder if Sabetha will have any similarities to one Celes Chere?

Locke Lamora is indeed named after Locke Cole. I wonder if Sabetha will have any similarities to one Celes Chere?
Hey, why not Terra? it would open worlds of possibilities, including her transforming and lifting off in front of a bewildered Locke. Maybe wrong hair color (tho, who knows), but still :P

Anyway, what do we know about Sabetha? She's not blond, but likely a redhead, she probably worked for that whorehouse Locke goes, she's often absent and likely to be in, erm, "a city of thieves", and she's dubbed the queen of all charmers, where charmer can also mean a pickpocket type thief, and of course she crushed the heart of the defenseless main character. I wonder what RPG girl could correspond.

She reminds me more of kiera the thief from the Vlad Taltos novels considering the description, so far ;)

Edit: details.

I made my six year-old watch SpongeBob for two hours while I finished up TLOLL yesterday. Is that wrong? :unsure:

Anyway, my favorite part:

SPOILER: TLOLL
Locke hanging on to the Grey King, laughing maniacally. When I realized what he was doing, I wanted to stand up and fucking cheer. Such a well done moment with, as Ran mentioned, a well done setup.

I also loved the mysterious nature and history of the Elderglass. I'm wondering if we'll ever learn more about its creators. Anyway, Scott, thanks for a couple of weeks of sheer enjoyment.

R'holler Coaster is probable.

Unfortunately, I won't be there.

But my heart's with ya!

This is a long shot, but if you're a big sports fan Scott, you should join the Fantasy Baseball and Fantasy Football leagues set up here in Forum Games. They're fun as hell, and we'd all love the chance to kick your ass week in and week out. ;)

Ah, he can beat on Jaxom's cave-people for some self-esteem.

The signing was great. Sorry you couldn't make it RC. It was nice to meet Dagger and Mrs. Dagger at least.

I did a brief write up in my blog

Also Jaxom... I laughed my ass off at how he inscribed your book. I made sure to tell him you were the guy who told him to get a haircut. He said OH! chuckled then muttered putz. ;)

Also Jaxom... I laughed my ass off at how he inscribed your book. I made sure to tell him you were the guy who told him to get a haircut. He said OH! chuckled then muttered putz. ;)

Sweet and classy. :rofl:

Archived