Scott Lynch, The Lies of Locke Lamora

Olaf

The reading/signing was great. Scott was pretty funny, and pretty informative on how things are working in the publishing world, which is always good info for me. Several times my wife looked at me with that "did you hear that" look that meant something he said confirmed what she thought about writing/publishing. Damn you Scott.

It was great meeting Race and Rhelle, wish we had more time. But we had a new stove to assess and the infamous Mrs. Dagger's back started giving out during the signing line. Which is just as well, otherwise she would have strangled the weird geek that cranked off a loud fart when he sat down in front of her. Do not trifle with Mrs. Dagger. She may look slight, but she could stare down Sandor.

Another thought on the discussion of who might be a natural Lynch nemesis from a few pages back:

It's true that he doesn't seem to have a "natural" enemy in the vein of Erikson vs. Bakker, which the board seems pretty split on, but since Lynch seems to be the most highly regarded writer on this board other than GRRM himself, why not pit him against the least highly regarded writer, namely Terry Goodkind.

Come on. Just look at their respective author pictures and tell me they weren't meant to be enemies.

Also, Locke seems like just the kind of person who hates moral clarity. :lol:

Another thought on the discussion of who might be a natural Lynch nemesis from a few pages back:

It's true that he doesn't seem to have a "natural" enemy in the vein of Erikson vs. Bakker, which the board seems pretty split on, but since Lynch seems to be the most highly regarded writer on this board other than GRRM himself, why not pit him against the least highly regarded writer, namely Terry Goodkind.

Come on. Just look at their respective author pictures and tell me they weren't meant to be enemies.

Also, Locke seems like just the kind of person who hates moral clarity. :lol:

Or as implicity stated in your post: will Lynch rival our beloved GRRM himself, splitting the board?

Or as implicity stated in your post: will Lynch rival our beloved GRRM himself, splitting the board?

To war! :fence:

I have so far read the first...100? pages since I got it an hour ago. I'm loving it so far, and from what I've read on the board, it gets better. Excellent.

Hey, why not Terra? it would open worlds of possibilities, including her transforming and lifting off in front of a bewildered Locke. Maybe wrong hair color (tho, who knows), but still tongue.gif

Anyway, what do we know about Sabetha?

Actually the FF6 gals don't really match up with Sabetha's description so far, do they? It would be cool to have transformation sequence nonetheless ;)

I do wonder about Sabetha, I was waiting for her grand entrance and then got half way thru and realized it wasn't going to happen. Ah well, lady thievery and heartbreak down the line.

I played in a fantasy baseball league last summer, and got my ass kicked up between my teeth. Repeatedly. I scored a pile of killer pitchers in the draft and based my team around the bullpen, not realizing that such a setup required the most delicate and timely adjustments to my fantasy lineup... something I couldn't give it for 160+ days. I'm still walking funny from the experience. :)

Haha. Well, if you ever change your mind you should check it out. There are others in this thread besides me that also play: Race, Jaxom and RollerBoy come to mind (well, in Jaxom's case, "playing" is a loose definition :P). You'd have fun.

I actually did have one little problem towards the end of the book. I don't this was mentioned in here yet:

SPOILER: little problem

I thought that Dona Vorchenza giving Don and Dona Salvara the co-title of the Spider was a little odd. They may be brilliant in their chosen field of study (especially the Dona), but I thought they bumbled and stumbled their way around most of the time. They were completely cuckolded by Locke and his alter-ego Midnighter. They had no idea that Vorchenza was the Spider; IIRC, they were completely flummoxed. I can't see any reason Vorchenza would choose them to succeed her. Not that big of a deal, though. It just crossed my mind as strange.

edited for spelling

Haha. Well, if you ever change your mind you should check it out. There are others in this thread besides me that also play: Race, Jaxom and RollerBoy come to mind (well, in Jaxom's case, "playing" is a loose definition ). You'd have fun.

Yeah yeah...just you wait, Maelys...

As to your little issue in black: While in some ways it did seem a little out of left field, it also didn't seem like that bad of an idea...Dona Vorchenza seems to be working with a plan throughout...

MakahaBoy,

SPOILER: TLoLL
They had no idea that Vorchenza was the Spider; IIRC, they were completely flummoxed.

Actually, the Doña pipes up, "See, I told you so!" or something like that when it's revealed. She had her suspicions.

The Spider needed someone to follow her, and perhaps they're simply the best suited. As you say, both are very bright in their particular areas (lets not under-sell the Don -- he quadrupled his House's treasury or something such in his short time as its head) and they show some quick wits and courage when it comes to a pinch. They're trainable.

Today I visited Forbidden Planet in London to meet the mighty Bakker, but I was taken aback by the stacks of hardback copies of LLL (I've never seen the hardback anywhere before), signed. I nearly grabbed a copy before I came to my senses, much to my wallet's relief.

I enjoyed the read. Very refreshing setting and a nice action-packed plot.

My only worry is that Locke could become the almighty master thief who totally succeeds in everything. That would get boring pretty fast. But on the other hand there were quite a few setbacks and failures in the first book. I think Scott might be enough of a sadist to chop a few fingers off Locke's hand, send him through hell or something.

I enjoyed the read. Very refreshing setting and a nice action-packed plot.

My only worry is that Locke could become the almighty master thief who totally succeeds in everything. That would get boring pretty fast. But on the other hand there were quite a few setbacks and failures in the first book. I think Scott might be enough of a sadist to chop a few fingers off Locke's hand, send him through hell or something.

I don't know...I think Locke kinda went through the ringer in Book 1 already, don't you? I certainly don't think that he got everything he wanted this time out either...

I don't know...I think Locke kinda went through the ringer in Book 1 already, don't you? I certainly don't think that he got everything he wanted this time out either...

Yes, I agree. He didn't get everything he wanted but there were also plenty of things which wondrously worked out for him. And at the end the outcome is decisive.

It is more a concern for future books. I think there were a few events that showed the tendency towards the almighty thief who can get away with everything. But as long as Locke has to pay certain price and it is as enternaining and fun as this time, it is ok with me. My hope is that Scott eventually disposes of Locke in a great tragic heroic death which teaches us and all the world a great many things about morality and the sense of life ;)

I have faith in Scott and eagerly await the release of the next book. The first book was a great start for sure.

It is more a concern for future books. I think there were a few events that showed the tendency towards the almighty thief who can get away with everything.

I'm a bit concerned with

SPOILER: LLL
the way he will recover from the gruesome wounds he gets fighting Raza. We get detailled description on how his muscles are severed and whatnot, but he's back on his feet (so to speak) in really short order with probably no real lasting ill-effects.

I don't want a cripple main character, but unless Camorri healing is developped later to be more efficient than real world medecine, it'd be nice to have either less heavy wounds or to have them have real consequences.

This is speculation of course, just a thought on how main characters usually avoid consequences.

SPOILER: LLL
For the rest, when I read the scene where Capa barsavi explain how Nazca was sent back, I first thought "No way, there's magic, she'll be ressurected or something" then a bit later "dammit, he's as bad as GRRM". It was then that the frail confidence I had built concerning the survival of all the Gentlemen Bastards, disregarding consciously all the foreshadowings, was shattered. A truly "Oh shit" moment.

Archived