Scott Lynch, The Lies of Locke Lamora

Olaf

Actually, the UK trade paperback version I picked up is only about £4 more expensive than the MMP will be and has such a great cover I gladly paid the extra.

I've got a feeling that this could be the next Big Fantasy Series (as in one that actually gets really popular, rather than just critically acclaimed with modest sales like Bakker and Erikson), so thus grabbing a first edition now could be a really good idea (suddenly realises I've been listening to Stego too long).

than the MMP will be and has such a great cover I gladly paid the extra.

I was very pleased to find out a few months ago that Bantam retained the same cover as the UK cover. A nice classy cover to a fun fantasy book IMHO.

It's on my to read list but I'm waiting for the cheap paperback version.

Don't forget (sometimes I forget myself) our second drawing of an autographed copy is active until July!

Having just started the second Prince of Nothing book (Warrior Prophet) after finishing Lies, I realise how much more I enjoyed Lies of Lamora in comparison. Baker feels very pretentious whereas as Lies had a lightness of touch and natural exhilaration completely missing from Prince of Nothing. I know they are completely different in tone but Martin aswell doesn't give you this feeling of hitting you over the head with how clever he thinks he is. I find it slightly grating in Baker. Roll on Red Seas.

I agree great cover.

As usual, I would be grateful if somebody compared the UK and US editions. What I am interested in is the size, especially the thickness. US Amazon, for the Spectra edition, lists 1.3 inches and 1.83 pounds. I would appreciate it if a UK based reader could measure the Gollancz hardcover. Moreover, how is the binding in these two editions? I expect the UK edition to be cut and glued to the spine, but how about Spectra? FfC was half-way decent (folded and glued, as far as I can tell, but good paper).

As usual, I would be grateful if somebody compared the UK and US editions. What I am interested in is the size, especially the thickness. US Amazon, for the Spectra edition, lists 1.3 inches and 1.83 pounds. I would appreciate it if a UK based reader could measure the Gollancz hardcover. Moreover, how is the binding in these two editions? I expect the UK edition to be cut and glued to the spine, but how about Spectra? FfC was half-way decent (folded and glued, as far as I can tell, but good paper).

Sorry about the tardiness, I just got a UK edition as it would appear on the shelf today, (with a very cool personalized autograph too!) afer having various copies (both from the Uk and U.S) for a like a year now - finally a finished product! :D and it's looking good! The UK Harcover is 1.6 inches thick from cover to cover (which BTW has a bit of a shine to its luster). Sorry my scales aren't sufficient, I don't smoke in that quantity anymore thus don't know where my big digital is: :(

This is a damn handsome product!

I'll reserve judgement after the Erikson/Bakker fiasco I've recently put myself through. Also because Martin likes it means nothing. I bought a couple of books once by a guy named Bentley Little, who Steven King raved about. Since I loved King at the time I figure Little had to be good. But man was I wrong. Some of the worst writing I've ever seen.

We'll see, but I won't get my expectations up for this either.

I'll reserve judgement after the Erikson/Bakker fiasco I've recently put myself through.

You reserve your judgment until which point? Until all seven books are published, or until you have read this book? If the latter, that's probably a sound decision. ;)

You reserve your judgment until which point? Until all seven books are published, or until you have read this book? If the latter, that's probably a sound decision. ;)

It would be the latter. I was saying I wouldn't get my hopes up like I have done in the past. I wouldn't let my imagination get carried away about some great new author until I read them and decide they are great. I won't let the anticipation of reading this series become unbearable. I will read some reviews after it comes out and maybe check it out at a library in a few years.

It would be the latter. I was saying I wouldn't get my hopes up like I have done in the past. I wouldn't let my imagination get carried away about some great new author until I read them and decide they are great. I won't let the anticipation of reading this series become unbearable. I will read some reviews after it comes out and maybe check it out at a library in a few years.

Ah, ok :)

Not to hype you, but it is really good, well written (but with some rough edges still), likeable characters, interesting world, no "big evil Dark Lord" lurking in the background, no big armies clashing, no prophecies fullfilling, no all powerful main character, just a small story of a couple of thieves in a city, which resembles Renaissance Venice with a bit of Rome, Florence and Paris mixed in. A lot more like Martin's style than Erikson's or Bakker's, in both regards of dialogue, and writing style, with very fun passages but also very bleak and gritty ones. And like Martin, as soon as you take something as granted and think you have found out how the story works, who is "save" and who isn't, Scott Lynch's imagination literally punches you in the gut, takes your money and laughs at you. ;)

Just finished this - really, really enjoyed it, Like a lot of people have said it's similar to Martin's work in tone, a bit lighter though (even after you-know-what happens). Much easier to get through than most current fantasy - just a fun read all round :)

Did have a couple of problems with certain events. Some of the stuff Locke got away with just seemed a bit too preposterous. Oh and....*spoiler question*

SPOILER: LLL
Does anyone know why the bondsmage couldn't use his magic when Locke & Jean had him tied up? Did I miss something here? Did he really need to use his hands? It seemed to be more verbal before.

That website is cool as it has a map of frickin' Camorr on it. Something that would have helped a little bit in the actual book ( :mad: ). I'm a bit mystified as to why the US edition has it and not the UK one. That said, the book didn't suffer from lacking the map, which is the important thing. Also, the cover for Red Seas Under Red Skies looks superb. Shame we have to wait 12 months for it.

As for the spoiler question

SPOILER: LLL
It's not described every time, but when the Bondsmage is casting spells he does use gestures, such as curling his hand into a claw when he tries to kill Locke the last time (before Jean slaps him down). So my guess is that being tied up, coupled with the emotional shock of his familiar being killed, not to mention good old-fashioned terror, prevented the Bondsmage from doing much to escape his situation.

Jay, thanks for the data. I ordered the US (Bantam–Spectra) edition via Amazon Germany. Should arrive in a few weeks. (Which is a bit of a bummer because I will be leaving for Venice just before the book arrives and it would have been nice to read it in the "proper" setting...)

That website is cool as it has a map of frickin' Camorr on it. Something that would have helped a little bit in the actual book ( :mad: ). I'm a bit mystified as to why the US edition has it and not the UK one.

Scott said somewhere in his Livejournal that it was a decision of the UK publisher. He suggested a map on the last page, but they said that books with maps get automatically sorted into a certain category of books - High cheesy Fantasy is my guess :D

The US publisher didn't have such fears it seems.

Guest Ser Jaime

Yeah, apparently fantasy books with maps in them get shunted off to the farthest recesses of the bookstores, near the erotica and Star Trek tie-in paperbacks.

I think they're going for more respectability with this series. At least publishing it without a map gives it a chance of being taken seriously by people who normally wouldn't pick up a fantasy novel.

I printed out a map and tucked it into my copy of the book, so it's the best of both worlds -- leave the map in when I'm feeling naughty, take it out when I want to feel classy and highbrow.

I love the new website. In case anyone didn't notice, Scott reveals the titles for Books 3-5 as well. No titles announced yet for Books 6 and 7.

Book III: The Republic of Thieves

Book IV: The Thorn of Emberlain

Book V: The Ministry of Necessity

Pretty cool.

Hey, all---

Werthead: Ten points and a cookie for spotting the *Rise of a Merchant Prince* homage in TLOLL... hell yes, I must be one of about four people on earth who truly loves the only fantasy novel in existence with a plot that hinges on speculation in grain futures... anyhow, go you!

And *many* thanks for all your kind words, too. I'm delighted you enjoyed the book so much.

Aguila: Insofar as I know, the decision to move *Red Seas* to June '07 was because a) my publisher wanted TLOLL to have as much time as possible to build up momentum and word-of-mouth; B) dumping two fairly expensive books on readers in a six-month span right off the bat might not be all that sound of an idea at second glance... hopefully, later on the series will be known enough and read widely enough that it can bear that publication rate. Also, c) because they really want to do a bang-up job with the ARCs of RSURS, for which demand is *nuts.* And it gives me a wee bit of time, but not much, to put a final bit of polish on. ARCs are not all that far off, relatively speaking.

Blue Roses: Thanks. :)

Dajamieson: In answer to your spoiler question, Werthead pretty much has it. How can I create those little patches of blackness, by the way?

Ser Jaime: Glad you like the website. Nice to know my HTML and Photoshop skills haven't completely degraded over the years...

Cheers and best,

SL

:o An author who pops in here and registers to check out the discussion? Awesome.

Mr Lynch, I haven't read your book yet, but I intend to check it out next time I get to the bookstore (hopefully it'll be in TPB, not HC -- my budget won't cover the latter :( -- I'm in Australia, if that helps). From what everyone else is saying, it will be my perfect cup of tea. :)

Archived