Does anyone like Catelyn?

The Crow

I like Catelyn very much (though I hate her resurrection as Stoneheart.) It's refreshing to read the point of view of a mature woman, a wife and a mother, who is complex and flawed. Not a minor figure in the background, or a calm and wise sage, but a real woman taking an active part (not in an action-figure way) making decisions, good and bad. A woman with virtues, strengths, blind spots, flaws and fears.

I liked Catelyn alot when she was alive. Now that she's dead? Awesome!

Honestly one of the only characters who actually gets what justice is in Westeros (specifically, the riverlands) now. To you guys who think she corrupted the Brotherhood, I urge you to go back and reread every Arya chapter up until she leaves for Bravos and think about the people who did the things in those chapters who are still walking and talking and plotting their little plots with so little to gain and who are now bending the knee to the Lannister iron throne. Personally, I think if Westeros is to have real justice, the population will probably have to be cut in half.

I also think Nymeria is another arbiter of real justice in the world.

She's one of the most well-written characters in the book in my opinion, very human; an intelligent and caring mother who nonetheless could never find it in herself to be a human for Jon, holds smallfolk in some contempt and her wisdom often fails her in moments of grief.

That makes her interesting, dynamic and no paragon or person to emulate as a whole- yet she does have many admirable characteristics. I like that she's complex and neither hero nor villain, and that I can sympathize with her but also find certain things about her reprehensible.

Yes, Catelyn is one of the strongest and most moral characters in the books right there alongside Ned. Yet, despite this goodness she is still displayed with real flaws and emotions as she is made to deal with her world falling apart around her.

I Like Cat. That is not to say she is not without flaws. Her treatment of Jon is shameful and her seizure of Tyrion was rash as it was certain to plunge Westeros into war. Her defence of Bran and her facing down of Lord Karstark was courageous. She was an invaluable envoy in the early stages of the war and brokered the agreement with Renly and the Frey's. Her advise as to the Westerlings went unheaded.

I'm quite firmly in the Cat dislike camp but you're by no means alone. There are many posters on this forum who like her, I know Eadoin's (pretty sure I've spelt it wrong) signature has something like 'Shameless Cat Stan' and I've been in a couple of threads where opinions have become quite heated.

She's one of those characters that's right on the line, you either love her or you hate her.

Lol, it's not an easy name to spell.

And yes, OP, there are some Cat lovers around. :cool4:

Thing is, she is a mother. Her motherhood has been her identity since Robb was born, and before that she played the wife, and before that the dutiful lord's daughter. That is who she is. And much like King Robb, we don't like to be pestered by that mother figure in the middle of war.

I personally lost respect for her from the beginning with how cold she was to Jon Snow. It's one thing to be jealous that your husband fathered a child with another woman, but quite another to forgive the husband and take out your rage on the son who had little to do with the initial infidelity.

• 2 weeks later...

The only issue I had with Catelyn is that I felt that almost every chapter of hers that I read, I was reading the same thing. The red wedding was probably the most shocking and tragic part of book three, but I really wish it had ended in a different way. The Cateltn chapters kind of felt like they were building up too insanity, which I suppose they did, but I so wanted to see more come out of her mental breakdown, eg her actually killing Lord Frey, and not just some random character that we were introduced about 4 pages ago. Still an amazing way to end things though.

As for Cersei, I can't wait to start reading her chapters. She's one of favourite characters.

I like Catelyn, I found her to be a very believable character (well, obviously before she became a zombie), I liked the fact that she got irritated with her (bonkers) sister and worried endlessly about her Dad and her kids, I felt that was what any ordinary woman would do in her situation. I got the impression that what she really wanted to do throughout "Clash of Kings" was run away and hide and have a jolly good cry, but felt she couldn't because it would leave Robb unprotected or let him down. What's more she's forced into a role that she's not equipped to carry out. Catelyn was meant to be a wife, mother and homemaker, not meddle in politics or military tactics.

Cersei on the other hand is superb at politics. Do i like Cersei? yes and no, sometimes I want to slap her, sometimes I want to hug her, sometimes I can't wait till somebody sticks her head on a spike. She's manipulative, proud, arrogant and ruthless, but I can see why she is and that she really has to be very good at what she does. I respect Cersei for being the number one woman in a world ruled by men and for trying to protect her kids no matter what, even when they are Joffrey. On the other hand she's pretty darned cruel to two of my favourite characters, her brothers, which I rather object to. But yeah, Cersei chapters are never boring.

I hate her. I was happy she was killed and disappointed when she was resurrected. Seizing Tyrion got the war rolling, and for nothing, she was wrong. Releasing Jamie created a clusterfuck and alienated the Karstarks, and for nothing, were Sansa and Arya returned? What right did she have to make those power moves? None, she should know her role. She doesn't and she causes catastrophes from it. I could forgive all of it though, all of it based on her being a mother and her decisions swayed by emotions from her children. But she's horrible to Jon, so I say she's not a good mom. I have a step daughter and my wife is step mom to my older kids. Our kids are all brothers and sisters. I wouldn't accept my wife treating my other kids differently, let alone cruel. Fuck that bitch.

Archived