How Stannis will win the Iron Throne

Spoilers from GRRM + WoW follow.

IMPORTANT UPDATE - you might want to read the whole topic then come back to this bit.

Someone clever noticed that the ship Sansa and Littlefinger leave Kings Landing on had, on its sails a MERMAN, BLOWING A GREAT SEASHELL - yes, exactly like Patchface predicted. This is a very strong hint that Stannis and the Vale will become one cause, either with Stannis behind Sansa Stark, or Sansa Stark behind Stannis.

Stannis is in the North. GRRM said many different people would rump their asses on the IT before the end. Stannis is likely to be among them. To do said rumping, he needs to get South. His armies are not big enough to travel across a continent full of hate for poor old Stannis, so the obvious route is via sea. To do this, he needs a fleet of war galleys so as not to end up on the wrong side of a vengeful Iron fleet, or Redwyne galley fodder. Unfortunately, War dromonds dont just materialise.

This is the textual evidence bit, we have already been told how Stannis gets his royal rumpus to the place he needs to be to be doing the royal rumping. I think we all have a fond spot for westeros most irritating prophet, yes, Patchface has told us already.

“We will march into the sea and out again. Under the waves we will ride seahorses, and mermaids will blow seashells to announce our coming, oh, oh, oh.”

Sounds unintelligable, well think about this. Aurane Waters, Cerseis grand Admiral recently went rogue with her fleet of brand, spanking new War dromonds, including a 3 decked warship - We are told there is a new pirate king of torturers deep in WoW spoiler chapter with a brand spanking new fleet of war dromonds led by a 3 decked warship naming himself Lord of the Waters. (I have a hunch, they are the same person, if you dont get the same hunch Im amazed you got this far to begin with), Aurane Waters is the Bastard of Driftmark, the Bastard son of House Velaryon - who fought for Stannis in the Blackwater as one of his admirals - AND - Velaryons house sigil, is a Seahorse. Look at the prophecy again, Riding seahorses is code for riding in Auranes fleet of dromonds, once again loyal to Stannis.

i dont know why Aurane would turn back to Stannis, maybe out of old loyalty from Battle of the Blackwater (unlikely) or maybe Stannis will legitimise him like he offered to Jon Snow for his assistance, maybe Gold or maybe lands and titles - this bit is pure speculation, but the theory remains solid in my opinion. Mermaids blowing seashells is unintelligable to me for the moment, if anyone has any theories By all means, share.

Take Winterfell and then wait. Let all the Southern armies smash each other (Aegon, Lannister/Tyrell, Ironborn, possibly Dany). Then march south with Braavos backing practically unopposed.

Actually I see him having to deal with the False Aegeon first, then Dany will show up right around when the Others breach the wall, so she and Stannis have to team up, his wife will kick the bucket and together they'll fufill the prophecy (or take credit for it) and marry "for love".

True, he could just have a fail blackwater 2.0 and like 1.0 :) But I honestly see Stannis character ark ending the way it has lived, sort of like Iron, completing the task he has set out to do, eg. Capturing the throne, then dying, or being assassinated, or deposed, or stepping down a day or so later - breaking rather than bending as it were, like we were outright told by poor old Ned.

Actually I see him having to deal with the False Aegeon first, then Dany will show up right around when the Others breach the wall, so she and Stannis have to team up, his wife will kick the bucket and together they'll fufill the prophecy (or take credit for it) and marry "for love".

Ugh. Dany and Stannis? I should be quite cross...

Stannis wont side with a Targaryen, he is all about rights - Baratheon won the throne via right of Conquest. He will have Dany burned for a traitor, and she will have him burned as a traitor. And Aegon might not even be Targaryen at all - so :/ Neither of them will be allying anytime soon according to character profiles.

Never really thought about it until I saw this thread, but maybe Patchface's song means stannis will take over pike after the battle of winterfell. Sending the message under the sea for those who worship the drowned god, I dunno just a thought

also he seems to be working towards revenge for the north, so pike would be without a doubt a good place to go next

Wouldn't it make more sense to also make use of Manderly's Fleet? Maybe a combo of the both will happen since mermaids are Manderly's sigil right?

This is brilliant! Before reading this post i had doubts but now, i am a beliver of this theory.

But i belive Great Northern Consipary too. :( I hope this one is true.

But you said "His armies are not big enough to travel across a continent full of hate for poor old Stannis"

Who hates Stannis? Northmen backed him, riverlanders has no reason to hate him (except Freys) and some Crowlanders also backed him.

Stannis is in the North. GRRM said many different people would rump their asses on the IT before the end. Stannis is likely to be among them. To do said rumping, he needs to get South. His armies are not big enough to travel across a continent full of hate for poor old Stannis, so the obvious route is via sea. To do this, he needs a fleet of war galleys so as not to end up on the wrong side of a vengeful Iron fleet, or Redwyne galley fodder. Unfortunately, War dromonds dont just materialise.

This is the textual evidence bit, we have already been told how Stannis gets his royal rumpus to the place he needs to be to be doing the royal rumping. I think we all have a fond spot for westeros most irritating prophet, yes, Patchface has told us already.

“We will march into the sea and out again. Under the waves we will ride seahorses, and mermaids will blow seashells to announce our coming, oh, oh, oh.”

Sounds unintelligable, well think about this. Aurane Waters, Cerseis grand Admiral recently went rogue with her fleet of brand, spanking new War dromonds, including a 3 decked warship - We are told there is a new pirate king of torturers deep in WoW spoiler chapter with a brand spanking new fleet of war dromonds led by a 3 decked warship naming himself Lord of the Waters. (I have a hunch, they are the same person, if you dont get the same hunch Im amazed you got this far to begin with), Aurane Waters is the Bastard of Driftmark, the Bastard son of House Velaryon - who fought for Stannis in the Blackwater as one of his admirals - AND - Velaryons house sigil, is a Seahorse. Look at the prophecy again, Riding seahorses is code for riding in Auranes fleet of dromonds, once again loyal to Stannis.

i dont know why Aurane would turn back to Stannis, maybe out of old loyalty from Battle of the Blackwater (unlikely) or maybe Stannis will legitimise him like he offered to Jon Snow for his assistance, maybe Gold or maybe lands and titles - this bit is pure speculation, but the theory remains solid in my opinion. Mermaids blowing seashells is unintelligable to me for the moment, if anyone has any theories By all means, share.

Manderly. The merman is their sigil. If Stannis is going to go south, he's going to use Manderly's fleet to do it. That's really the only sort of option available to him. As is, we've seen the difficulties he's been having in traversing the North. A march all the way down to King's Landing would be the end of his army.

If Auranne joined him along the way or such, that would pretty much cover the 'seahorses and mermaids' bit.

This is so bloody cool.

Imagine that, King's Landing sitting in wait of Aegon, and then Stannis' drums start playing and his ships appear from the horizon.

But what about Manderly as an option? He was building a fleet wasn't he? And with him out in the snow with Freys he pretty much has turned cloak from Bolton already.

Archived