Syria: End Game

Kouran

Well, I think that if the rebels had kept doing well then the US would have left well enough alone. But one way or another there will be regime change in Syria I think.

This article suggests that they plan to supply anti-tank weapons, not anti-air (at least not in the shorter term). I doubt that will make a decisive change, but may make it easier for various rebel elements down there to grind on. I don't think this will end anytime soon without some external actor going all in and invading the country on behalf of some group in Syria, that is- some nation not less powerful than Turkey. I don't see that happening anytime soon, unless Erdogan finds that a fullblown war would be a good way of turning attention away from domestic troubles...

Pretty much. Without anti-aircraft missiles it's more of the same.

Though Erdogan jumping into the Syrian quagmire to defuse domestic unrest would be like fighting a termite infestation with polonium.

• 2 months later...

This is a good thread on the syrian conflict going back several months.

Rereading this thread, I'm quite amused with snake's hypothesis that the Obama administration wanted an invasion of syria all along, and all they needed was public support for it. And apparently that has just arrived in the form of the recent gas attacks on civilians.

What do you think snake, was it the CIA who orchestrated the gassing of civilians for casus belli? Do you even have a stance at all or are you just parroting news headlines?

Archived