[Book Spoilers] Yara / Victarion merger?

teratomatastic

A fanatical priest of the drowned god, that is respected by literally every person on the Iron Islands except his exiled older brother, shouldn't be too difficult to grasp.

The problem with casting Aeron Damphair as I see it is that aside from calling the Kingsmoot, he's thus far done little else.

I think the most significant problem is HE'S BORING AS FUCK

But your right that he's done nothing. We could of done with more that two chapters in two books if we're meant to care about him!

They cast Balon who hasn't done much and didn't even have him appear this season. Merging or cutting POV characters isn't something HBO should even consider.

What, even Arys Oakheart? Do we really need him? Same goes for Quentyn, surely someone else can release the dragons, and there can be another reason for possible antagonism between Dany and Dorne.

They should be considering it, because these two books are going be a nightmare to adapt.

If done properly the seizing of the Shield Isles could be an epic action scene for season 5 (or maybe even as early as season 4). I can't wait to see Vic jumping onto a burning ship to fight several knights at once. Pure, simple-minded badassery.

Pretty sure Shield Isles will be cut. Too expensive for a side-plot. The important thing is Vic coming to Slaver's Bay, but they might have him pick up Jorah & Tyrion on the way since the sellswords are being simplified. Tyrion would really have to watch his mouth around Vic, though.

The shield island-storyarc don't make sense per itself for the show, I agree. What is important from a storyarc point of view there is that Euron unites the Ironborn via plundering and wants them to sail to Dany to take a dragon and get back (set-up). However, the Ironborn rebel a little and make it clear that they won't go to Dany and back when the plunder is right here in Westeros (clash), so Euron sends Victarion to fetch Dany (solution). That is about a arc for one episode and certainly doesn't need the "shield islands" to work. I do hope however that we can have a ship fight as a replacement.

All the other scenes for the Ironborn work on the Pyke (and maybe Kingsmoot) sets, or generic beach scenes ("Asha's/Yara's wedding"). And later on ships, so that works as well and they did already have quite a few ship scenes...

A fanatical priest of the drowned god, that is respected by literally every person on the Iron Islands except his exiled older brother, shouldn't be too difficult to grasp.

The problem with casting Aeron Damphair as I see it is that aside from calling the Kingsmoot, he's thus far done little else.

His chapters hint at molestation from Euron in childhood. The Actor would have to act fearless against Euron, while subtly showing fear from the same guy - Euron. The actor who played drowned priest acted like Aeron in my opinion. There was certain hint to melancholy in his brief performance.

What, even Arys Oakheart? Do we really need him? Same goes for Quentyn, surely someone else can release the dragons, and there can be another reason for possible antagonism between Dany and Dorne.

They should be considering it, because these two books are going be a nightmare to adapt.

They can keep Arys around, they just don't need to flesh him out. Ditto for Quentyn, since he's far more important. What they should do is cut out all his useless mercenary travelogues.

I did notice the other day in the hbo game of thrones season 2 coffee table book that the greyjoy family tree had only euron as balon's brother with no Victarion, Tyrion said "uncles" to Theon though in season 1 when he was talking about who was responsible for the lannisport attack during the greyjoy rebellion so who knows.

When Aeron arrived at the kingsmoot, he could not help but shake his dreadlocks with disgust at all the soft lords from the green lands, with their "clothes" and their "armor". Such things did not come from the sea, and were therefore creations of the storm god by default. Aeron was a godly man, and had no need for such. He garbed himself simply for the kingsmoot, wearing a codpiece made of driftwood, fastened with a piece of seaweed. It was rough and splintery, but he did not mind; every splinter in his manhood was the drowned god's reminder that life was hard. "no godless man must sit the seastone chair!!" he cried out, to nobody in particular. I must needs cleanse myself of the sight of these heathens, Aeron thought, so he sprayed himself in the face with seawater. The seawater stung his eyes, but Aeron was grateful, as it was the drowned god's reminder that spraying oneself in the face with seawater stings the eyes. Aeron felt much better now, thanks to the drowned god.

That was greatness.

Because all of his chapters are like:

Aeron walked down to the sea, where the drowned god lived, because he loved the sea, and the drowned god. As the waves that the drowned god sent crashed over him, he said a silent prayer to the drowned god. "I love you, drowned god", he said. Then, he left the sea, but didn't dry off, because being covered in seawater was a gift from the drowned god. Covered in water, he ate the clams that the drowned god gave him, saying another silent prayer to the drowned god. But then, two men om horseback approached him. Aeron didn't like horses, because they were NOT a gift from the drowned god. "don't bother me, I'm praying to the drowned god", he told the heathens who rode their non- sea horses.

and on and on and on just like that. To each their own I guess, but to me, his chapters are as interesting as watching paint dry.

Hilarious. It's almost worth Aeron existing in the first place just to read these posts. You should consider creating just a Aeron Damphair alter ego just to interrupt other threads with his thoughts on everything.

• 3 weeks later...

Look I know what I'm talking about I don't need cite a source.

Have you read all five books? How can you say Greyjoy story isnt relevant to the books? If anything Victarion's journey to Meereen is massively important, along with character of Euron, since his mission is on such a massive scale with the dragon horns and whatnot. The Greyjoy uncles are completley necessary and only time will tell if Aeron is necessary. After season four, i dont see why pov characters have to merge or not be included at all. we will be losing tons of major characters after season four, some possibly the highest paid actors, so why is it such a difficulty to include the greyjoys and martells, who dont necesarrily have a ton of page time in a feast for crows and a dance with dragons, besides victarions chapters and Arianne's. i meant to respond to the person you replied to. lol sorry first time using this site

Oh heavens please no! Not another "creative" change!

Show's Asha is a disappointment already. I generally liked a lot how the show toned down the "glamour factor" although I didn't like how they did Cat but I believe it is some personal perference to show good, idealistic and family-loving Cat as motherly, incompetent and clueless rather than driven, principled, strong and still attractive. For other characters it worked really well though - ditching the comic-book-like descriptions from the novels. However Asha is supposed to be the attractive chick that refuses to rely on her looks to get a husband and instead is this warrior princess. Again she is supposed to be the attractive woman. And I mean attractive even covered in mud and blood. And that is something that largely drives the relationships she has with others. Instead we get Gemma Whelan who is not the first person that comes to mind when you think "sexy chick" in the most de-feminized portrayal of any character in the series. Save perhaps for Osha. What is on with that??? She looks older and sometimes not very much like a woman altogether. I thought we had Brienne filling that particular vacancy.

I believe they already showed Aeron ( in "What is dead may never die"). Victarion is a crucial character considering what we know from the spoiler chapters of TWoW. I do not know about Euron though... but he is a great villain so why not keep him. Let alone that he has the dragonbinder which is supposedly able to control the beasts so... why get rid of that? I was disappointed that they dropped the horn of Joramund in the north. That would be nice to keep.

Archived