[Book Spoilers] Yara / Victarion merger?

teratomatastic

I'm on record supporting a merger of Victarion and Aeron, or writing out Aeron all together

Aren't we all? I mean honestly, who actually enjoys Aeron as a character?

I actually don't envy the showrunners at all. Trying to salvage enough material from two books to make a good season of television, and with so many story lines is going to be incredibly challenging. I think that season 5 will be the season where the show really proves itself, if it manages to continue it's current quality well into Season 5.

Um maybe I'm pointing out the obvious but... we don't know which of the Greyjoys will be important in future books, so writing one of them out willy nilly is a BAD idea. Hopefully they talk to GRRM about his future plans before making that kind of decision.

Aren't we all? I mean honestly, who actually enjoys Aeron as a character?

I actually don't envy the showrunners at all. Trying to salvage enough material from two books to make a good season of television, and with so many story lines is going to be incredibly challenging. I think that season 5 will be the season where the show really proves itself, if it manages to continue it's current quality well into Season 5.

http://winteriscoming.net/2012/10/bryan-cogman-talks-season-3-and-adaptation/

I don't know why anyone would think any of these characters would be merged, because they are all completely different and serve totally different and separate functions in the story. Nothing would be gained by combining any of them.

I don't know why anyone would think any of these characters would be merged, because they are all completely different and serve totally different and separate functions in the story. Nothing would be gained by combining any of them.

What none of us know, and the show runners probably do: the function of those characters in the story. If they play an important part in the endgame, whatever that turns out to be, they'll be kept in somehow - but perhaps not introduced until much later; if they don't play a part, they may not appear.

For example, the to-me-obvious cut is everything involving the guy who got burnt up by the dragons (not a Greyjoy, I know): I spent the whole book trying but failing to care about him, and then at the end felt relieved that I had never succeeded in caring. That whole arc can be replaced by one night and a couple of drunk Meereenese kids. The guy's arc appeared, looked interesting, and flamed out (pun intentional and included with only mild regrets) in just one book; we don't yet know what's going to happen with Victarion et al, and if their character doesn't really help the plot, then they may be ditched. For example, Dany may just find a "magical horn to control dragons" in the dungeons of Meereen: perhaps that's the only purpose for the Greyjoys, and if so, they should be cut.

What none of us know, and the show runners probably do: the function of those characters in the story. If they play an important part in the endgame, whatever that turns out to be, they'll be kept in somehow - but perhaps not introduced until much later; if they don't play a part, they may not appear.

Well, no matter the deviations, Dave and Dan have sort-of, kind-of, kept the over all outline of the SoIaF.

I can't see them cutting it down to two Greyjoys.

Even tho I don't know how the hell they are going to restructure it , seems they keep Theon, Asha, and Victorian.

Asha/Yara - Theon story on Westeros.

New character Victorian on the way to big hullabaloo at Meereen.

It's those kind of touches of GRRM that the show runner like to keep.

I think we'll get both Euron and Victarion, but not Aeron. And I also think that a lot of readers will be surprised at how engaging the Iron Islands story line can be, assuming they cast charismatic and magnetic actors for these roles (Ray Stevenson for Vic!).

Can't agree more. Ray Stevenson MUST play Victarion.

No, I doubt they'll merge any of the uncles nor Yara. Maybe Aeron will be least featured in the season, but that's all. The show will mostly pay attention to the Asha storyline in the North and Victarion in Meereen vs Euron's follies. The Kingsmoot won't be such a long scene I'd imagine

Now, the Martells, that'll be a tough deal. Either they'll merge some of the Sand Snakes and Arianne, or drop entirely Ellaria. Can't even imagine what they'll do with Arys Oakheart if he wasn't in the first season at all.

Doran, Quentyn and Areo will stay definitely. So will Trystane, if anything to explain Myrcella's presence in Dorne for the non-readers...Will Darkstar appear?

Well we know the function that they have in the story that we've read even though we don't know exactly where they are going, and we know enough that they serve completely separate functions. Combining them would gain nothing, leaving them (or one or two of them) out would be better.

How could Aeron be anyone's favourite character?

I think they'll eschew Balon's death, and therefore probably scrap Euron. And hopefully they'll merge Victarion and Aeron. It really depends what relevance those three characters have later on. They haven't exactly portrayed Iron Islanders besides Theon and "Yara" in a positive light, so I can't imagine them trying to soften up the culture of people who adduct and rape women.

Merging Shireen with patchface is different than merging Asha with Vic, Neither Shireen nor Patchface is really doing anything and they are in the same area all the time. Asha and Vic are doing two totally separate things and are thousands of miles apart..

I could see them getting rid of a greyjoy brother though.

Archived