[Book Spoilers] Yara / Victarion merger?

teratomatastic

Now that I think about it, I also think we'll get Aeron. I'd forgotten that he was a favorite character of Bryan Cogman, which I'm sure will play some part in determining whether or not he appears. I'm pretty excited about the idea of seeing the story line on the Iron Islands play out. She may not be how I pictured Asha, but Gemma Whelan played Yara very well in her short amount of screen time (especially the scene between her and Theon at Winterfell), and I'd like to see more. If they can fill out the remaining characters with great actors, I feel pretty confident that the Iron Islands story line will work really well on screen.

I can't see how such a thing could work without ruining either of their plots (which take them to opposite ends of the world!!!!). It's just not possible IMO, and I don't see the point in even trying to do that. Asha (Yara) needs to be in the North to run into Theon and be captured by Stannis. Victarion needs to be on his mission to go to Meeren. TWoW is very dependent on these two storyliens being where they are from what I gather.

That said, I can see Damphair getting cut, and Euron possibly being the one to merge with Victarion, but I don't even actually see that happening. Euron is likely to play a big part, and harbor many secrets that need to be his own.

They can't 'merge' Aeron and Victarion. The latter can't lead the Kingsmoot and be elected himself. I don't think we need 'Aeron' in particular. They need a 'crazy ass' priest that calls the Kingsmoot and then later goes on to do whatever Aeron's gonna do in TWOW. The thing is, that character doesn't need to be Balon's brother and he doesn't need much introduction. So it's a very minor role.

Victarion and Euron on the other hand interact. They can f.e. chose to merge them and make that persona go fetch Dany. But it's largely dependent on what's going to hapen to them in their later character arcs. Which we dont know about so it's pointless to speculate, no?

Question: Can we have phonetically speaking Aeron and Euron? Do those two sound too similar for the show? If so, which Ironborn 'replacement' name would you prefer for either of them?

I think we'll get both Euron and Victarion, but not Aeron. And I also think that a lot of readers will be surprised at how engaging the Iron Islands story line can be, assuming they cast charismatic and magnetic actors for these roles (Ray Stevenson for Vic!).

Yes, it could be... If they didn't already have a dozen other storylines to focus on. Great way to lose the tv audience would be to throw all the Greyjoy and Martell storylines onto them in S5 and beyond.

Now that I think about it, I also think we'll get Aeron. I'd forgotten that he was a favorite character of Bryan Cogman, which I'm sure will play some part in determining whether or not he appears. I'm pretty excited about the idea of seeing the story line on the Iron Islands play out. She may not be how I pictured Asha, but Gemma Whelan played Yara very well in her short amount of screen time (especially the scene between her and Theon at Winterfell), and I'd like to see more. If they can fill out the remaining characters with great actors, I feel pretty confident that the Iron Islands story line will work really well on screen.

Being a fan favorite of the writers is not a guarentee the character will appear. Remember, D&D still call the shots over Cogman. Aeron had a chance to appear in S2 (in fact it would have been his most prominent appearance, based on the books) and he didn't, which tells me that he's cut. If he does appear due to fan appeasement (which is how the Blackfish and Edmure appeared), he would be significantly minor.

Yes, it could be... If they didn't already have a dozen other storylines to focus on. Great way to lose the tv audience would be to throw all the Greyjoy and Martell storylines onto them in S5 and beyond.

Being a fan favorite of the writers is not a guarentee the character will appear. Remember, D&D still call the shots over Cogman. Aeron had a chance to appear in S2 (in fact it would have been his most prominent appearance, based on the books) and he didn't, which tells me that he's cut. If he does appear due to fan appeasement (which is how the Blackfish and Edmure appeared), he would be significantly minor.

The show is very adept at handling multiple story lines, so I'm not so sure it'll be much of an issue to introduce the additional Iron Islands characters in season four (which is when the Kingsmoot takes place, chronologically). Beyond Oberyn and Arianne (who I believe will accompany Oberyn to King's Landing), I wouldn't expect to see many of the Dornish characters in season four. Doran and the rest (who make the cut) will likely be introduced in season five.

And seeing as how the show will be losing some prominent characters both this season and next (not to mention the story lines where characters are consolidated, such as with Jon and Stannis at the Wall), I'm sure there will be plenty of time for these new story lines and characters to have an impact.

And I realize that D&D are the two who ultimately run things, but I'd imagine that it's a very elastic working environment, and that Cogman's input is very important to them and the show itself. The fact that Aeron "had a shot" to appear in season two means nothing. It wouldn't have made sense to cast an actor for Aeron, only to have him disappear for twomcomplete seasons. Ramsay, Jojen & Meera, Selyse, Shireen, Edmure, and the Blackfish were all pushed back from earlier seasons to this current one, as it was deemed that this is the point in the story where it would be best to do so. No one is cast for "fan appeasement". Seeing as D&D and Cogman know more about where this story is heading than any one of us, I'm inclined to believe that we'll get an idea of who is important to the end game by who they decide to cut from the story. If Aeron is cut (or that entire story line altogether), then I guess we'll have our answer. I believe that Victarion and Euron are practically locks, though.

Makes sense. There's no way they're going to follow ALL of the Greyjoy POVs and with Damphair cut, it would make sense to cut Victarion as well.

I love how people post stuff like this without citing any source.

And why would you even put the Greyjoy brothers on the same level as that of the Starks or Lannisters? And there have been a LOT of Lannisters that were cut.

Simply put, the Greyjoy storylines are some of the least relevant to the overall story of ASoIaF, so it makes sense to do as much trimming with them as possible. Same thing with the Martells.

Look I know what I'm talking about I don't need cite a source.

I have to admit it would explain a lot about the Yara/Asha's character in the show. That said, I think it would be a mistake. Asha's role in the North is pretty important, and I expect it will gain even more importance in TWOW.

As for a possible Aeron/Victarion merger, I really, really hope they don't. I'm one of the few that actually thinks Aeron's character is interesting, and I think he could have a very important role in the next two books. If so, maybe Martin can dissuade them from doing it.

If they take out any of the Ironborn I will be happy. Except for The Reader, I hope he at least gets a cameo. Unfortunately I do think we will have to suffer through Aeron and Victarion both. But a Victarion/Yara merger would be extremely interesting.

If they made Yara a lesbian that would also make me very happy.

Aeron, if introduced at all, will certainly get a different name. They avoided having both Asha and Osha, so I can't see them having Aeron, Aegon, Aemon and Euron under those names. Aeron's name is the one most easily changed, and it sounds way too Targaryian not to be confusing on a Greyjoy.

Aeron appeared during Theon's baptism scene, no?

Nah that was just a generic priest. Some others think that means he's gonna be cut, but I'm not so sure. Even if they're gonna cast him it would make no sense for him to show up for 5 minutes then disappear for 3 seasons.

They can't 'merge' Aeron and Victarion. The latter can't lead the Kingsmoot and be elected himself. I don't think we need 'Aeron' in particular. They need a 'crazy ass' priest that calls the Kingsmoot and then later goes on to do whatever Aeron's gonna do in TWOW. The thing is, that character doesn't need to be Balon's brother and he doesn't need much introduction. So it's a very minor role.

They can merge the Aeron who shudders at the memory of a door creaking and thinks "Euron..." with Victarion. Give him traits of Aeron, not necessarily his storyline.

I think it's far more likely that Victarion and Aeron will be merged.

Merged as in Aeron disappearing entirely. I don't think religious fundie Victarion would be a good mix. Vic might get some of Aeronb's lines like: no woman can sit the Seastone Chair.

I don't see Yara and Vic combining, more likely that Euron and Vic will combine in that Euron will head off to enslave Dany's dragons himself. As of DwD both Vic's and Asha's stories are kind of in limbo and we don't really know if they have anything significant to do.

They'd merge all three of Theon's uncles into one before doing that.

Aeron Damphair was shown, but not mentioned in Season 2. Maybe that was a priest of the downed god standin, but since I read the books before season 2, I knew who he was supposed to be at Theon's much watered down baptism. :D Check that, his 'jug of water on face' baptism in the show versus the 'being drowned and then resusitated' baptism in the book.

Aeron, if introduced at all, will certainly get a different name. They avoided having both Asha and Osha, so I can't see them having Aeron, Aegon, Aemon and Euron under those names. Aeron's name is the one most easily changed, and it sounds way too Targaryian not to be confusing on a Greyjoy.

May I suggest 'Aaron' :)

My book purism extends only through Season Four. As of five, I wish they would dump Aeron, Victarion AND Euron, who all suck, in my opinion and completely re-write the Greyjoy storyline altogether. Same goes to a much lesser extent for the Martells. Keep Doran, fix Arianne (she just does NOT work for me at all - too much this stereotypical Mediterranean fiery sexy princess), focus on preserving the aspects of the storyline that are most poignant - "vengeance for Elia" etc... - while dumping everything that is, again, borderline caricature (but NOTHING will ever be as caricature as the Greyjoy uncles). Same goes again for Essos and Daenerys' storyline but I actually think there is a more solid foundation there; it's just the details that are off and they've already shown they can and will tone that stuff down.

Archived