Willem Darry death?

Njell

I've just started my first re-read of the books, and when I was reading the first Dany chapter I suddenly thought "Wait a minute, that seems like a weird amount of detail to go into while not explaining how he died."

Anyway I don't have the book to hand but it basically talked about how Willem Darry died on a "sick bed" and was "half blind".

The thing is, wasn't Willem Darry the one who agreed to the whole Viserys-Arianne wedding pact? And who did he meet with to agree to this? Oberyn Martell.

And what is Oberyn Martell famed for doing? Poisoning people.

So this got me thinking, could Oberyn have killed Darry? If so, why? Have I missed something here? As I say I'm only just re-reading the books, so maybe I've forgotten something important from the later books.

I think it was his age and whatnot that killed him in the end, no foul play imo. Its a shame what's happened to House Darry, they really have had some tough luck..

It's not a bad theory, but I thought he just died of old age. Plus, Oberyn would have no reason to poison him

I have to agree. The idea of your theory is plausible, but there doesn't seem to be any reasoning behind Oberyn poisoning Darry. After all, he wanted Arianne to wed Viserys did he not?

I've just started my first re-read of the books, and when I was reading the first Dany chapter I suddenly thought "Wait a minute, that seems like a weird amount of detail to go into while not explaining how he died."

Anyway I don't have the book to hand but it basically talked about how Willem Darry died on a "sick bed" and was "half blind".

The thing is, wasn't Willem Darry the one who agreed to the whole Viserys-Arianne wedding pact? And who did he meet with to agree to this? Oberyn Martell.

And what is Oberyn Martell famed for doing? Poisoning people.

So this got me thinking, could Oberyn have killed Darry? If so, why? Have I missed something here? As I say I'm only just re-reading to books, so maybe I've forgotten something important from the later books.

I think that Doran's plan was to wait and strike against Robert when the time was ready. Oberyn's visit served a purpose. Since Ser Willem was the guardian of the last Targaryens, it was essential for him to know that the Martells planned to avenge Elia and her children, and that those plans included Viserys. Doran said that he was the grass and Oberyn the snake hiding. I think that the two brothers trusted each other, there is no reason for Oberyn to kill Ser Willem. I don't think that Oberyn was like Ramsay or Gregor, he doesn't kill people unless he has a good reason.

The only reason I could see for Oberyn poisoning him is to get controll of Viserys and start a rebellion prematurely.

I believe that Darry died of age but here comes a crackpot theory(Dont hate on me):

Oberyn tried to raise dorne for Viserys directly after Roberts rebellion but this was calmed by Jon Arryn and Doran.

But then, a few years later, he gets the chance to get ahold of Viserys AND his sister. All he needs to do is kill Darry.

Then he can bring them to Dorne, by then Doran has two choices.

1. Send Viserys to Robert and give up the thoughts of usuing them to claim vengeance

2. Marry him to Arienne.

Sending viserys back is not an option, viserys himself would never take it and if he did he would never join with them again in the future.

So Oberyn poisons Darry.

But only with a small amount first. Before he can do anything more Doran intervenes. Oberyn goes back home and Darry lives awhile longer. The poison was a very small dose and slow working in that amount.

Darry dies by a combination of age and poison. The children flee from city to city.

And Oberyn lost his second chance to raise Dorne for Viserys.

There's also the possibility that Darry, as a confidant of the Sealord, was a victim of the change of the guard after the last Sealord's death.

This is where I get very, very suspicious .. Braavosi politics are due for a big reveal. I hope at least part of which will be coming in the next book.

The various descriptions make me feel like the house with the red door was some sort of state residence ( or run by one branch of the state , if Braavos turns out to be triarchy of IB , FM and Sealord ) When the Sealord dies , the knives will come out .. so I've always felt that when we know when the current Sealord came into power it just might coincide with when Dany and Viserys were turned out. That they were turned out by the servants really sounds like a shift in the balance of power to me..

I'm really not suspicious of Oberyn .. but if the House of the Red Hands is the centre for Braavosi healers, could that somehow be connected to the red door ? Could Darry's health have been being guarded, and then suddenly ..not ? Was he given a special gift ?

And what's up with the current Sealord ? Sounds like he's known to have been dying for some time...Natural causes , or political ? When did he become ill ? Does it in any way coincide with dragons being hatched ?

If it was an official decision to stop supporting Dany and Viserys, we might see some serious backpedalling.

Archived