About bastardy and inheritage.

So let’s say thay Lord XY had premarital relationship with his fiancée Lady XX and she gets with child and the child was born before their marriage (for any reason) and they later married. The child will still be a bastard even if he is the child of two people who have married?

Well, they would probably try to rush the marriage, unless they get separated by war or something. And even then, they might get married by proxy - that seems easy to annul, but in this situation, they won't want to annul it.

Well, they would probably try to rush the marriage, unless they get separated by war or something. And even then, they might get married by proxy - that seems easy to annul, but in this situation, they won't want to annul it.

seems the most likely solution for such a situation to me.

And even if not, what King would object to legitimise the "bastard"?

Logistically, I'd imagine a majority of those types of situations would insist a marriage take place as quickly as possible (first sign of pregnancy). If it's going to happen, I can't see the people waiting until the child is born. They would either do everything to make sure situation was legit ASAP, or just deal with a bastard.

There would be a shotgun wedding before things reached the baby is born.

Or a spear-point wedding. In any event, the child would be a "seven-months child" *cough* and everyone would accept the fiction and the child as legitimate.

"Premature" children and shotgun weddings were extremely common in days gone by - somewhere I read that 1/3 of Puritan (!) brides were pregnant at their wedding; the history book Albion's Seed notes that some 90% of brides in Appalachia were pregnant at the altar. Of course, these were all amongst the common people; aristocratic women were more supervised and guarded. But if, for instance, Hoster Tully had allowed Lysa to marry Petyr after she became pregnant, the child would most likely be a "legitimate" but "premature" child.

Archived