The most insignificant detail I just can't let go

CptSpaulding

How did the 3EC get to the cave?

I think it is safe to say the 3EC is Bloodraven.(is this still just a theory?) He was born in 175 and left for the wall with Maester Aemon in 233. That puts him at 58 years old. He eventually becomes lord commander, this is where the details get a little fuzzy. According to the wiki he held the position till 283. That makes him 108 years old! How does someone that old make it through hundreds of miles of harsh weather to get there?

I realize this is fantasy with dragons, ice zombies, magic, and such. But I cant let it go. I don't even know why it bothers me so much.

Any thoughts?

Maybe the Children Of The Forest called to him as he did to Bran, or perhaps he discovered some yet-to-be-revealed secret regarding the prophecies that led him to seek them out.

Or perhaps he just got fed up took the long walk, Judge Dredd style. Told the Watch "I'm going hunting ranging" and never came back.

Firstly Welcome to the Forum :cheers:

I think that he might have been contacted by the COTF and asked to help them as he was a Greenseer, and maybe a more powerful one than theirs, or he dreamt he had to help them and left one day to help them.

Actually, if the Jojen-Paste Theory is correct then Bloodraven should also have had at least one normal human traveling together with him when he headed north, whose blood he could later drink to activate his powers. Said human might also have been helping him make the journey possible.

I suppose its not exactly insignificant, but I find it so frustrating that the Stark kids don't try to explore their wolf connections more.

Robb and Jon know there's something significant there, they see what happens with Summer howling making Bran stronger when recovering from his fall.

They, along with Arya, are having these dreams, yet they never seek answers or further information from anyone (although Arya has no-one to talk to).

I realise it's probably GRRM trying to keep things mysterious, but when we get to see all their thoughts, it's hard to believe that they don't spend more time thinking about it.

OP, first, welcome to the forum :cheers: . Second, extremly interesting question.

If I were to guess, I would say Coldhands. Most likely he was sent to bring him to the cave.

Wow, I didn't know he was 108 either. Maybe the Wall was keeping him strong, like it was with Aemon. Still doesn't explain how he was able to make it so far North at that age. Maybe he went on a ranging and was declared missing after some time and it took a while to elect a new LC?

I thought of the tunnels but all I can picture is the COTF kidnapping him in the middle of night and shoving him into a wheelbarrow or something then pushing him all the way up there. But the caves should be very hard to navigate, not just a straight tunnel.

Bloodraven was Lord Commander of NW in 283 AD? That is interesting. If that's true some black brothers would know him and it is odd that nobody speaks of him, he probably should be one of the most famous Lord Commanders

And it is also interesting that he left NW in teh year of Robert's rebellion

I think it is safe to say the 3EC is Bloodraven.(is this still just a theory?) He was born in 175 and left for the wall with Maester Aemon in 233. That puts him at 58 years old. He eventually becomes lord commander, this is where the details get a little fuzzy. According to the wiki he held the position till 283. That makes him 108 years old! How does someone that old make it through hundreds of miles of harsh weather to get there?

I realize this is fantasy with dragons, ice zombies, magic, and such. But I cant let it go. I don't even know why it bothers me so much.

Any thoughts?

The weather could have been nice.

Seriously, Westeros has summers that sometimes last 5 or 10 years. Even north of the wall the wildlings plant crops during the summer, and even in the land of always winter they could have weeks in a row of relatively nice weather. You can certainly travel if daily low temperatures are in the -10°C (15°F) range just wearing a light jacket. It's been harsh for Bran and his companions because Winter is Coming.

Actually, if the Jojen-Paste Theory is correct then Bloodraven should also have had at least one normal human traveling together with him when he headed north, whose blood he could later drink to activate his powers. Said human might also have been helping him make the journey possible.

OMG, why does anyone believe this Jojen paste nonsense? The paste is made from weirwood seeds, which are red. Weirwoods have red leaves as well, and red sap. The fact that the paste is blood red means NOTHING!

(.. I sincerely hope.) ;)

Just had a slightly crazy theory but when Maester Aemon leaves the wall and starts dying he either (I can't remember) says the wall was sustaining him or the cold was sustaining him. Now clearly the wall des not sustain the life of everyone but maybe it could somehow preserve the life of those with Targaryen blood (i.e. Maester Aemon and Bloodraven). Now this is probably taking things too far but this could be another meaning of the title "a song of ice and fire). It could also be another plot way to resurrect Jon (assuming of course R+L=J).

Any thoughts?

Where exactly did you read this nonsense?

Archived