Edmure's bittersweet situation

Ordos

I don't know what to make of Edmure Tully's fate. He survives the Red Wedding (HIS wedding!!!) to become a prisoner and during the siege of Riverrun he is repeatedly threatened to be hanged unless his uncle surrenders.

I know the deal he made with Jamie was a bitter pill to swallow, but ending the siege without bloodshed and allowing his uncle to escape was definitely the right thing to do. He says to Jamie: 'I cannot begin to tell you how much I hate you'

His situation could change in future books but as of now I think his fate is the best example of what we call bittersweet.

Surviving one of the worst mass murders in Westeros, allowing his uncle to escape, saving a few lives by surrendering and living out his days as a Lannister prisoner in relative comfort with his wife and kid is sweet. But having so many other people around him suffer and die as well as losing his birthright in governing the Riverlands must really hurt.

He should consider himself extremely lucky, but I'm sure it still hurts to lose so much.

I'm wonderin' what will the Freys do to him once his baby with Roslin is born? His future is not looking so good. I just hope sister UnCat or Uncle Blackfish will come to the rescue unless Edmure will find a way to save his own bum. I like the guy but he needs to toughen up. I don't know how.

I'm wonderin' what will the Freys do to him once his baby with Roslin is born? His future is not looking so good. I just hope sister UnCat or Uncle Blackfish will come to the rescue unless Edmure will find a way to save his own bum. I like the guy but he needs to toughen up. I don't know how.

He's a Lannister prisoner in the Westerlands and is guaranteed saftey by Jamie. The Freys have no power over him.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I think he and the Blackfish have a plan of some sort. I remember one of the Lannisters saying that he seemed too smug for a defeated person that was looking at a lifetime of being a prisoner. I think he's genuinely fond of his wife (in spite of the all the crimes committed by the other Freys) and attached to her and the unborn child. But that doesn't mean he's going to stay a submissive prisoner forever....

The famous lannister word like Tyrion swore in front of the whole court to return both girls yes?

Have you paied a lot of attention? Tyrion really wanted to give Sansa back and Jaime tought a lot of times about how he keeps his word but nobothy trusts him.

I think he and the Blackfish have a plan of some sort. I remember one of the Lannisters saying that he seemed too smug for a defeated person that was looking at a lifetime of being a prisoner. I think he's genuinely fond of his wife (in spite of the all the crimes committed by the other Freys) and attached to her and the unborn child. But that doesn't mean he's going to stay a submissive prisoner forever....

We don't need yet another plot to complicate matters. The Blackfish is probably going to look for the Brotherhood Without Banners and join them in their campaign against the Freys. Edmure for now can wait. We get enough intrigue from Littlfinger, the Martells and the Ironborn not to mention all that is going on in Kings Landing as well as the impending arrival of the Others and Dany with her dragons...

I thought Edmure's loss was really interesting, too. On the one hand, I felt terrible for him. Standing in a hangman's noose day after day, losing his home and property.

On the other hand, he was an idiot who stood to inherit great wealth by virtue of heredity. He was a dim lightbulb, a little spoiled and petulant...quite frankly, he's not someone who I'd ever ELECT or CHOOSE for the role of 'master of a vast domain'.

I think that one of the things that GRRM shows really well in the series is how all the talk of 'rights' is just a nice way of glossing over 'might makes right'. All this property is gained and held through violence. The Freys suck, but Edmure really wasn't a capable leader.

I know the deal he made with Jamie was a bitter pill to swallow, but ending the siege without bloodshed and allowing his uncle to escape was definitely the right thing to do. He says to Jamie: 'I cannot begin to tell you how much I hate you'

I'd say he hated himself because Edmure fell in love with Roslin during the siege and didn't want any harm come to her.

Jaime won because he threaten to harm the wife Edmure was fond of, same as the Frey threaten the husband Roslin was fond of.

Archived