The Best Casting and Worst Casting (in your opinion).

Conor

Exceptionally Good Casting:

-Tywin Lannister(Best lines for me in S2 were the Tywin-Arya dialogues)

-Arya Stark(Best lines for me in S2 were the Tywin-Arya dialogues)

-Roose Bolton (Every word he says, pure awesomness)

-Walder Frey (he is so hateful it fits the book. Couldn't find a worse face for Frey)

-Ramsay Bolton (What I liked about Ramsay in the books, was his sense of humor. In the series, he is EVEN MORE funny, and his humor fits with the face aswell! It's kind of 3-in-1 Package: Sadistic Psychopath+Funny Face+Funny Lines)

-Balon Greyjoy (Simply Fits)

-Gilly (Simply Fits)

-Shae(why the hell do you hate her. She and Tyrion look a sympathic couple to me) ,

-Eddard Stark (100% fitting to the book + an awesome character + an awesome actor. 3-in-1 offer, like Ramsay)

-Tyrion Lannister (Read what I wrote for Ned)

-Beric Dondarrion S3(Surprisingly Good),

-Samwell Tarly (Like Ned&Tyrion)

-Brienne of Tarth( A character I never liked. I measure the fact that she's been cast good only because I hate her in the TV series more than in the books).

-Caetlyn Stark&Lysa Arryn (see Brienne why)

-Sansa Stark (Using the nearly same logic I used above for Brienne, Cat and Lysa. Only I hated her more in the books, especially Book 1)

-Maester Aemon (He's really good)

-Jeor&Jorah Mormont (Look and act better than in the books)

-Greatjon Umber(Simply Fits)

EDIT:

-Petyr Baelish

-Davos Seaworth

-Lord Varys

-Bronn

(All 4 of them are amongst my favorites, especially Littlefinger, I dont't know why I forgot them)

Badly cast:

-Talisa Maegyr (come on! I never liked Jeyne, but surely I HATED Talisa. Cheers to the soldier who opened her belly with the knife!!!)

-Mance Rayder (NOOOOOOOPE! Ugly and anitpathic. Book "Mance Rayer" always felt like Aragorn(all black leather except for his Red-and-Black Cloak), a true Ranger of the North)

-Jon Snow (Doesn't look nor act like Jon)

-Gregor Clegane of Season 2 (He looks just like a monkey with his big ears)

-Asha (Yara) Greyjoy (Hair it's okay. Eye color too. Face is simply too fat)

-Stannis Baratheon (Looks like a beggar. He looks like "The Beggar King", not Viserys obviously. He's too "Simple" a "commoner", much like book Davos)

-Daario Naharis (Just doesn't fit. Neither the book character fits. I always imagined him like Detective John Luther, from the miniseries "Luther")

-Loras Tyrell (The scene where he gives the rose to Sansa, in the books is chivalric, in the series is clownish)

-Margaery Tyrell (She looks like 10 or 15 years older than Joffrey, while she should be only 2 - 4 years old)

-Addam Marbrad (Just 1 moment of him in the TV Series but he doesn't fit description. He'll always look like Faramir for me)

-Locke (Simply doesn't look good)

Best

I think most of the characters are well cast. I like Littlefinger, but not the material he's given, it needs to be more subtle. Lena Headey is good as Cersei, when reading the books she struck me as being like a duck, calm on the surface but paddling like mad underneath until after the PW where she loses her cool- there's time yet for her character to change. There's so many similarities between the charges made against Anne Boleyn and Margaery Tyrell that I though Natalie Dormer, best known for that role in The Tudors, was a clever casting.

I don't like Ciaran as Mance, the role needed a younger actor. I pictured Henry Ian Cusick (Lost's Desmond) in the role while reading. Ciaran would have better cast in another role for an older character.

I don't think Daario has the right look at all for his character, I pictured him to be very similar to Johnny Depp's Jack Sparrow. More swarthy, less clean-shaved pretty boy.

I'm not overly fond of Stephen Dillane as Stannis. I think I would have preferred someone like Mark Strong.

Graham McTavish actually looks almost exactly like my mental image of Stannis, though I'm not sure he has quite the depth and subtlety in his acting style for the role. Realistically I would have gone with Mark Strong or even Rufus Sewell (with a bald cap)...but Dillane really isn't bad honestly. It's the writing.

I don't think there was any TERRIBLE casting, but some were better than others.

Best:

Peter Dinklage, because NO ONE else could possibly play Tyrion so well. No, wait- he IS Tyrion.

Maisie Williams is phenomenal too, and looks exactly like how I pictured Arya. And Sean Bean as Ned. And all the other Starks. They were all well cast.

I actually love Kit Harington as Jon, I think it's his voice that does it for me.

Jerome Flynn as Bronn. Enough said.

Charles Dance as Tywin is amazing.

Lian Cunninghame (sp?) is also brilliant.

Emilia Clarke is great as Dany, she has a presence.

NIKOLAJ. He brings the best to Jaime and is exactly how I pictured him. One of the best actors in the show.

Gwen Christie is also spot on. Her and Nik have the best chemistry in the series, along with Maisie and Joe Dempsie.

Not so great:

Gemma Whelan as Yara/Asha. It's not Gemma's fault, because Yara is kind of a different character from Asha, but she just doesn't bring the sassy swashbuckle to the screen.

Ciaran Hinds as Mance- Ehh. I always pictured him as Viggo Mortensen, so I suppose it's my fault.

They're the only two I have a kind of problem with.

I don't understand how people can hate Stephen Dillane as Stannis. He is one of the best if not the best actor on the show right now. Granted, I began reading A Game of Thrones the same time season two started. I could never picture Stannis as anyone else. The only thing in the books that is inconsistent with the actor's looks as far as I can remember is that Stannis has less hair. This season, he wasn't written too well so I can only assume that's where all this discontentment is coming from.

Ok, you people have convinced me I need to read the books now...but...but where do I start?

DAMN IT people seem determined to spoil it for me and I will not let them! Must read!

Start w/AGOT. You will already know the plot inside and out(season one was quite faithful to the book), but you will still gain lots of new insight due to the way Martin uses character POV to alternately reveal and conceal information in a way the show can't always do.

Reading ALL the books will not only be a great experience in it's own right, it will enhance your enjoyment of the show.

I like Littlefinger, but not the material he's given, it needs to be more subtle.

This is spot-on. Aiden Gillen is a strong actor. But for some reason LF tends to monologue his intentions; this is curious because the show avoids this with most other characters. I love the show, but this tendency in LF is a real pet peeve of mine.

This is spot-on. Aiden Gillen is a strong actor. But for some reason LF tends to monologue his intentions; this is curious because the show avoids this with most other characters. I love the show, but this tendency in LF is a real pet peeve of mine.

Aiden Gillen is very talented. I must disagree, I sort of liked the cheesy "The Climb" monologue speech. It was very super villany which appeals to my somewhat childish nature.

Start w/AGOT. You will already know the plot inside and out(season one was quite faithful to the book), but you will still gain lots of new insight due to the way Martin uses character POV to alternately reveal and conceal information in a way the show can't always do.

Reading ALL the books will not only be a great experience in it's own right, it will enhance your enjoyment of the show.

It seems I must, that is what everyone keeps saying. I'm looking forward to it. Not to be rude or anything but I expected Cersei to be cast as prettier...and more blonde than she is. Her wig in the show is a dirty blonde. I always pictured her as a platinum knock out. Like Anita Briem or something but then again, Lena does such a great job that I feel bad saying that.

I think people here are really bad at this. They think because an actress looks like the character they imagined, or if they have previously played parts similar to the role that they would fit a particular part. Looks can change to fit the character and it's not the only important part - you have to consider how good the actor is as well. Lena Headey looks nothing like cersei and doesn't act like her at all, but she still plays the part perfectly.

Fantastic....

I love Tyrion in the series,

Cersei you gotta love to hate her.

Joffrey such a sadistic lil brat again love to hate. I actually think series Joff is better than book Joff.

Arya .. She is often episode by episode my fave.

Drogo... I love the actor and I know the char was plot driven but I miss him loads.

Ned... You gotta love Sean Bean.

The Hound... Dunno why but he always gets my attention.

Tywin is a good fit always draws you to watch him.

Average

Sansa I think the part is likely one of the hardest but the actress is just OK. i've never found her riveting.

Dany... Dany is one of my fave chars in the books but the actress has of moments brilliance, but if i changed an actor in the series it would be her... I don't hate her but a lot of the time I think she could get more from a scene.

Daario He might move up or down in my estimation but in his first appearance I didn't buy him in the role.

Bran. He just isn't memorable for me. There is something I just don't get into about him.

My picks for the absolute worst.

Shae..She is just a fake. Not believable at all. She is a poor actress.

Robb...I think part of the reason is he doesn't fit at all with what I picture the char in the book. His acting doesn't make me forget it either.

Catelyn same as above... The auburn haired Tully beauty just isn't her.

Jon perhaps the worst written char in the series. That is my opinion.

Loras just bleh.

You're really shallow. You're only saying that because she isn't as young and pretty as the rest of the actresses. Why does it matter when her acting is top notch.

*GASP*

Yes! She would have made a great Cercei!!

Favorite castings:

Charles Dance ( and the best actor on the show but the role suits his style)

Peter Dinklage

Robert Baratheon - ( on second thought, he IS the best actor actually. His emotional spectrum was amazing to behold. Dance is excellent at his "one-emotion" Tywin but Robert was excellent at them all- fury, sorrow, frustration, desperation, drunkenness, regret, fear, mirth)

Sam Tarly

Jaime

Kit Harrington- excellent portrayel of sad and mad Jon. The storylines though are TERRIBLE at the Wall.

Maisie but I have found some of her storylines very badly written in the show.

Bronn- so believable in this role:)

Gendry- he and Maisie have the best acting chemistry in the entire show:)

Jacqen- perfection

Sandor- bad mouth piece but great in every other way

Varys

Rose Leslie

Osha- She has such weird mannerisms and enunciations, but it honest to God makes her spectacular in this role !

Jeor- perfection in every way

Disappointing castings:

Dany- over acts and doesn't look exotic

Cersei- she slouches, leans and tilts her head constantly. I see "crazy evil lady" when I look at her but never see "queen material". She also sucks on her teeth weirdly while waiting to say her lines. She DOES say her lines exquisitely though!

Theon- over acts to the point of flamboyancy

Stannis- so wrong physically. The actor has desperate eyes and a defeated countenance. Stannis is rigid, confident and determined.

Mance- wrong look, wrong personality, wrong story lines, wrong everything

Renley- what the heck! How hard is it to find someone that looks like Clark Kent from Smallville? That's how amazing young Robert looked. He looked like a God. With muscles.

The stark trek woman, whoever she is, is just blonde. That's the only similarity and it's not good enough.

While I generally think all the actors on the show (save one, see below) do excellent work, I'd have to say my absolute favorites are:

Maisie the amazing - Seriously one of the best child actors I have ever seen in my life.

Nikolaj Coster-Waldau - When I read Jaime's chapters now, I actually hear his voice in my head.

Rose Leslie - She makes me love Ygritte even more in the show than I do in the books.

Gwendoline Christie - What an incredibly difficult role to cast; it's like she was born for it.

Michael McElhatton - Creepy as fuck, and his soft voice is like butter.

And my least favorites (who are all lovely people, but...):

Sophie Turner - By far the worst actor in the entire series; her line readings are always super stilted.

Harry Lloyd - Not remotely scary, and he looks ridiculous as a blond.

Kit Harington & Richard Madden - Both way too fucking old and way too sombre.

Not to be rude or anything but I expected Cersei to be cast as prettier...and more blonde than she is. Her wig in the show is a dirty blonde. I always pictured her as a platinum knock out. Like Anita Briem or something but then again, Lena does such a great job that I feel bad saying that.

I agree. A friend of mine once fancast Diane Kruger as Cersei, and I was like, YES. So that's how I always picture her now, even though I still think Lena is an amazing actress.

Worst casting: the Mountain in Season 2

Best casting: the rest. I like all of them. Even though I still have different pictures in my mind when I read the novels.

I didn't even realize it was him till I re watched the season a few months ago I remembered think where's the mountain he should e a Harren hall

Harry Lloyd - Not remotely scary, and he looks ridiculous as a blond.

Kit Harington & Richard Madden - Both way too fucking old and way too sombre.

Visarys is only scary to Dany because she's grew up instilled with fear of him. So he wouldn't seem scary to us the audience and that was the point he thinks he's scary but he isn't.

And as far as Kit and Rickard I don't see how could not like what they did just because their older than the book characters it's not their fault the producers had to raise their characters ages because of all the sexual stuff I know it's hbo but their still only something you can get away with on paper and not in practices

Archived