Connection between Children of the Forest and Others

MissLalwen

Only up to a point. Its one of the mysteries of Westerosi history. The Andals conquered all of Westeros below the Neck and either during that conquest/takeover, burned out the weirwoods and slaughtered the Children when they could catch them. The North however was not conquered and so the Pact ought have been maintained above the Neck, yet instead of finding sanctuary the Children had to flee further, beyond the Wall. When the crisis came the Pact was not honoured by the First Men.

:agree:

Only up to a point. Its one of the mysteries of Westerosi history. The Andals conquered all of Westeros below the Neck and either during that conquest/takeover, burned out the weirwoods and slaughtered the Children when they could catch them. The North however was not conquered and so the Pact ought have been maintained above the Neck, yet instead of finding sanctuary the Children had to flee further, beyond the Wall. When the crisis came the Pact was not honoured by the First Men.

This looks to me like the First Men north of the Neck wouldn't/couldn't help the CotF any other way than buying them time to leave beyond the wall. That would in return buy the Last Hero the help/advice from the CotF when he finally finds them in the Long Night.

The Jojenpaste theory is one of the best. Though there is no proof, it's entirely plausible. If you reread that chapter... It's pretty creepy and dark. It's weird Jojen and Meera are gone. He sees that sacrifice, which seems to tell us: "Look. The Old Gods aren't only about trees...There's blood involved."

This sounds pretty crackpot to me.

As an aside, I think you shouldn't put a lot of stock into early drafts of Tolkien's work, if Tolkien himself changed it. He decided elves don't take wives by force, as an elven woman who was so taken would simply give up her life and return to the halls of Mandos.

The Jojenpaste theory is one of the best. Though there is no proof, it's entirely plausible. If you reread that chapter... It's pretty creepy and dark. It's weird Jojen and Meera are gone. He sees that sacrifice, which seems to tell us: "Look. The Old Gods aren't only about trees...There's blood involved."

I've never heard the jojenpaste theory before. I kind of hope its true :devil: I doubt it, but it would be pretty interesting...

This looks to me like the First Men north of the Neck wouldn't/couldn't help the CotF any other way than buying them time to leave beyond the wall. That would in return buy the Last Hero the help/advice from the CotF when he finally finds them in the Long Night.

Not quite following you on this one. Although we heretics are confident that the timelines are screwed there's no doubt that the Long Night happened before the Andals tooled up.

This sounds pretty crackpot to me.

As an aside, I think you shouldn't put a lot of stock into early drafts of Tolkien's work, if Tolkien himself changed it. He decided elves don't take wives by force, as an elven woman who was so taken would simply give up her life and return to the halls of Mandos.

Tolkien changed that because he was very religious and wanted to create his Elves as a pure race, not capable of such a crime. I don't think the same applies to GRRM. Besides, even in the final, published story of Aredhel it is still fact that she was lured into the Woods by a Dark Elf, and that he made her stay with him for years even though she wanted to leave and go back home, which actually, now that I'm writing it, reminds some of Bran's story in ADWD.

Archived