Will Jaime ever be great again?

On the question, was he ever great, here's GRRM in The Prince of Winterfell interactive feature:

"The truth is that Jaime is a very dangerous enemy to restore to the other side. He's one of the greatest warriors in the realm. He's a general and a battle commander of some skill. He's very valuable."

Am I the only one who is sick of seeing people put forth the idea that Jaime was never an elite warrior? It seems to show up frequently, and I just cannot figure out where it comes from. Even setting aside the countless pieces of textual evidence of his greatness, Martin himself has explicitly stated that Jaime is (or was, at least) one of the best swordsmen in the (known) history of Westeros.

Getting back to the topic, I think that Jaime will not reach his previous skill level in the series. The example of Quorin demonstrates the potential for recovery, but it is important to remember that Quorin had years for this to take place. Jaime could likely become extremely capable again, given time (although I still hesitate to say he can be great once more), but time is running out for all of the characters. With only two books to go, I don’t see Jaime as an elite fighter by the end of the series.

The one thing I can think of which lends support to the idea that Jaime can regain his skill is the previously planned five-year gap. If Martin originally intended for Jaime to have five years to recover, he may simply accelerate the process at this point.

Loses a hand, gains a heart. He was brave all along, but without direction. Now that he's got something more than pride and resentment to go on, I think he can at least become formidable once again. The thing is, Jaime as a character is past being mere muscle. I think he'll have to balance his reputation against his handicap and newfound skill.

One thing for sure is that anyone who faces him in the future will be thrown off by him now being a southpaw.

I'm hoping Jaime survives the entire series, and participates in the grandest tourney to ever be put together. That is... The Tourney at The Wall. He can rest while cheering on Brienne during the Melee, and then he can display his supreme skill with the lance.

I'm thinking this tourney takes place around pages 900-1100 in A Dream of Spring

Archived