Who do you think is the strongest direwolf?

Jon Snow R+L=J

That's not correct. Ghost was bigger from birth.

That's not correct. No comparison of their size is made until just as Jon is leaving for the Wall, and the statement is something akin to "already larger than his packmates", suggesting that at the very least he was of equal size until then. As far as I know direct comparisons aren't made again so really there's no legitimate way to know who's bigger than who. As pedantic as it is, at best you can say Ghost was larger in AGoT, and after that we just don't know.

People may assume Grey Wind is bigger because as far as I know he's the only one who has his size described in ACoK.

That's not correct. No comparison of their size is made until just as Jon is leaving for the Wall, and the statement is something akin to "already larger than his packmates", suggesting that at the very least he was of equal size until then. As far as I know direct comparisons aren't made again so really there's no legitimate way to know who's bigger than who. As pedantic as it is, at best you can say Ghost was larger in AGoT, and after that we just don't know.

People may assume Grey Wind is bigger because as far as I know he's the only one who has his size described in ACoK.

Thanks for the quote. So the only ever comparison we get, has Ghost bigger than all of his packmates. Apart from that, the only direct references to size are Ned remarking that Lady is the smallest of the pack, and Summer describing Nymeria as his "little sister".

The way Ghost's size is desribed, with the specific inclusion of "already" in the "already bigger than his packmates", strongly implies that this is only the start of Ghost's "accelerated" growth speed. The implication is quite strong that he is "already" larger than them in Book 1, and that this gap in size is set to grow.

There is not a single quote that gives us any reason to assume this trend reverses itself later, nor is there any reason to assume that Grey Wind ever catches up to Ghost in size.

Well maybe their size is something related to the Dragons , where Drogon had grown bigger because being outside more or something.

Anyways , Grey Wind and Lady are dead so off the list.

I reckon Nymeria is the fiercest considering she is leading a pack.

This is a thread of its own, but it is quite interesting that Nymeria has her own huge pack, whereas Arya is a lone wolf at the moment. It's difficult for me to decide who is the strongest direwolf because they are far apart and each has different strengths.

As has been said -

Grey Wind - considered large and ferocious, but is the only direwolf in Catelyn and Robb's presence.

Ghost - larger than his pack mates when departing Winterfell, has survived on his own beyond the Wall, has led Jon to Mance Rayder's camp (wolf dream) and the store of dragonglass at The Fist of the First Men. Seems to have more ties to the Old Gods.

Summer - disciplines Shaggydog, defends Bran and the Reeds and Hodor against the wights - did he lead them to BR's cave entrance, I forget if Leaf came out and brought them inside...

Nymeria - leader of a pack, terrorizes the Riverlands

Shaggydog - most wild, but Rickon was 4 and afraid and mad his parents and family left him, has been in Skagos for quite some time

Lady - sweet, small, and died too young. :-(

As I said earlier, Ghost was the biggest of the litter from birth.

Yes Jon tell us in one of his POV, at the feast with King Robert in Winterfell, that Ghost out grows the others. His getting bigger and grows faster than the other direwolfs. Its around when he fight with the dog about the chickenbone

I guess being the biggest is "strongest" if you're referring to some kind of... Wolf... weight lifting competition?

If you mean who win some kind of fucked up dire wolf battle royal... I can't see how any of us can comment.

Ghost being the biggest doesn't necessarily make him the best, Grey Wind (before dieing of course) had been in seasoned in fighting armed men... Nymeria seems to own this bitch and Shaggydog is a wild card.

I guess a week without the show and of course no Winds of WInter is making us go insane!

Archived