The Unpopular Opinions Thread!

Pinkie Baelish

This thread has the potential to go downhill really fast, so people need to be civil in their discussions and avoid starting a flame war. No blind hatred of characters is to be expressed, nor revenge fantasies, because these sort of things gets threads closed really quickly.

This thread is to share opinions about the series that you might find yourself in the minority holding. So I'll start:

1. IMO, Of the Five Kings, a Renly/Tyrell alliance would have been the best monarchy for the time being. Renly was inexperienced, yes, but the Tyrells display a knack for holding the popularity of the smallfolk as well as political skill. I think Stannis deserves the throne the most, but a monarchy fronted by him might not be the best option available.

2. Catelyn should have stayed dead. Not because I dislike her character(I don't), but I thought that the Red Wedding was pretty much the perfect tragic conclusion to her arc. Unless Lady Stoneheart has something to do with meeting her kids in the future, I'm still unsure as to whether I think resurrecting her was the best way to go.

What are some of your opinions that you feel might be unpopular? Discuss.

The Red Wedding was necessary and couldn't have been avoided. It was a good move on Lord Tywins part.

Agree. Everyone knows that the Lannisters were involved, but the Boltons and Freys take most of the heat, plus Tywin's only remaining large threat is taken care of(Stannis being defeated and Balon not being taken seriously). However, I wonder whether Tywin had much foresight, because such an event can spectacularly backfire on the Lannisters in the future.

Agree. Everyone knows that the Lannisters were involved, but the Boltons and Freys take most of the heat, plus Tywin's only remaining large threat is taken care of(Stannis being defeated and Balon not being taken seriously). However, I wonder whether Tywin had much foresight, because such an event can spectacularly backfire on the Lannisters in the future.

He was pretty out touch with reality. I doubt he realized theory term ramifications.

Also, Arianne is hotter than Dany. That's all folks.

I always felt the Dany is the most beautiful woman in the world was mostly flattery, she's probably very good looking and has that exotic factor, but she's surrounded by sycophants.

1) Robb did right by marrying Jeyne

3) A+J=T

4) Asha is a smart, fierce warrior wench :P

1. Agree wholeheartedly, it fits his character perfectly.

3. I don't like this theory, but if something like it were true, I'd find A+J=C+J better, and more of a reflection of Tyrion being Tywin's true son.

4. Is this widely disputed?

Theon siding with his family wasn't dishonorable, moreover it is exactly what Ned would have done if he was in Theon place. Moreover, Theon's taking of Winterfell demonstrates that he isn't an idiot but instead he was a strongly competent and probably the best military tactician for the Ironborn at that time.

Instead, it was only a mix of his sentimentality for the place that insured his downfall. Alongside, the boneheaded decisions of Balon and Asha in refusing to reinforce the Ironborn control of Winterfell. In how, the holding of Winterfell drastically increased their chances of a successful conquest of the North which they were supposedly aiming for when they began their attacks..

1. IMO, Of the Five Kings, a Renly/Tyrell alliance would have been the best monarchy for the time being. Renly was inexperienced, yes, but the Tyrells display a knack for holding the popularity of the smallfolk as well as political skill. I think Stannis deserves the throne the most, but a monarchy fronted by him might not be the best option available.

2. Catelyn should have stayed dead. Not because I dislike her character(I don't), but I thought that the Red Wedding was pretty much the perfect tragic conclusion to her arc. Unless Lady Stoneheart has something to do with meeting her kids in the future, I'm still unsure as to whether I think resurrecting her was the best way to go.

I agree with both of these, and I was particularly annoyed that Cat was resurrected.

And now for my own...

Brienne/Jaime is a boring cliche.

Aeron is one of the most interesting characters in the series. His incredible faith in a religion based on what we know to be the common practice of resuscitation and the way in which his supposed rebirth has changed his outlook on life and clearly blocked out a disturbed childhood makes him a fascinating psychological profile. I wish we saw more of him.

Aegon should be King. I'm pretty sure he's fake, and I don't give a flying fuck. Varys may not have the best interests of the realm at heart, but putting a Blackfyre on the throne IS in the realm's best interests regardless. Anyway, he'd make a much better king than Stannis.

Instead, it was only a mix of his sentimentality for the place that insured his downfall. Alongside, the boneheaded decisions of Balon and Asha in refusing to reinforce the Ironborn control of Winterfell. In how, the holding of Winterfell drastically increased their chances of a successful conquest of the North which they were supposedly aiming for when they began their attacks..

Whilst I don't necessarily agree it's what Ned would have done, taking Winterfell was smart. But trying to hold it was never going to work. The smart thing to do was what Asha told him, take the boys and burn Winterfell to the ground.

The TV version of the House of the Undying was exponentially better than the book version.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I thought you had taste... :crying:

I forgive you :smileysex:

Archived