Let's make a list of lords who actually care about the smallfolk.

Sansa_Stark

There's really no indication that Robert as a King was drinking and feasting with smallfolk and that his drinking buddies weren't mostly nobles. Anything like this would've been highly unusual and a scandal.

...other than 14 lowborn bastards? He was never discrete and there was scandal. It's part of why Cersei hated him so much.

The tourneys and parties were for Robert himself mostly. Even if he wasn't competing, he loved watching them and loved showing off how wealthy and powerful he is.

Then why invite the smallfolk to watch? Or why not charge them a fee if they are invited? Robert never cared about financial or political power, he only cared about martial power. He'd been wealthy since childhood. It was never about grandiose spending just to spend grandiosely, it was about spending so that everyone could have a good time.

We see in Arya's chapter when Ned gets executed that barely anyone in KL gives a damn Robert had died.

Fair point. But it's likel that the smallfolk are more fickle than Robert, in that regard. Robert is pretty fiercely loyal.

What kind of a weak minded person makes a major decision like this against his own wishes just because his mentor told him to? I certainly won't choose a job for life with a whole host of responsibilities I don't want just because my father asks me to, unless his life was at stake or something drastic like that.

Not to sound rude, but they're an honor-bound culture. There's no honor in being selfish. When your elder and father (especially adoptive father) asks something great of you, you do it, even if you're not built for it and it will drastically change your life.

Robert's whole "I never wanted the throne" has always seemed like a revisionist history to me, after he realised it's too much work and responsibility to him. The young Robert probably had no serious objections.

He'd been Lord of Storm's End for almost decade. He knew the responsibilities of a Lord and had never liked them.

This is not a discussion about Brienne being a true knight, though technically she is not a knight. This is about Renly being two faced and acting like he cares about someone, when he really does not. As the Brienne example shows, Renly is not above pretending to be nice just to use people.

Yes and Joffrey kept rejecting him. Joffrey as a child never took to Robert. He lost interest with Mya when he had nothing else to take care of. He was living in the Vale with no concerns, though he should have been back at Storm's End looking after his lands. Mya made her own way in life. Robert abandoned her. Compare this with Jon Snow or Joy Hill, who are brought and raised with the family. Joy Hill is even given a good marriage.

Robert did not give Edric gifts, Varys did so and acted as Robert had picked them. Robert did not care about the boy at all and only acknowledged him, because his mother was noble.

I showed how Robert had habit of not bothering about the things he once cared about. Mya was someone he once cared about, but he soon neglected her. Even Ned says he had this ability to soon lose interest. There is nothing to suggest he would maintain his care for the smallfolk. On the contrary his reign where he did not bother to be a good king and help the common people, shows he did not care about them. He spent his time whoring and drinking.

I don't understand what you're saying about Renly. He gave Brienne a job and treated her kindly. Does he need to marry her to care about her. It only shows that Renly had the same gendered perspective of 99% of Westeros. Still, he was able to overcome that and respect her for her martial prowess. ...how does that make him two-faced?

You brought up two bastards who were raised with their family even though I already said that Robert tried to do EXACTLY THAT with Mya.

Oh, Varys just started sending gifts to a random boy in the Stormlands? He didn't do it at Robert's orders?

In the books, the commoners talk constantly about how things were good under Robert. They talk about how the Kingsroad isn't safe anymore and there's no food, etc. In what way was he not caring for the smallfolk? Was there some way they were suffering under his reign?

Lol...this post doesn't make even a little bit of sense. I'm honestly not sure where to begin. In one part, you say Robert didn't protect the Kingdom from a 13 year old boy who had never hurt anyone and who wasn't going to have power for decades. What exactly do you mean by "protect" the realm from Joffrey? Disinherit him? Do you know the laws around that (I'm genuinely asking, cause I don't)? What reason could he give?

Then you go on to say that Robert wanted to be King even though he himself said he didn't. I don't know what you want me to say to that. "You're right, Robert's wrong..?"

You just blamed a continental war on Robert neglecting his wife. I don't even..

Oh, but Ned cared about the smallfolk because he avoided war by telling the queen that her children are bastards. If Robert would have survived and Ned had told him, what do you think would have happened? You think the Lannisters would've quietly gone back to their gold mines after Robert had Tywin's daughter and son beheaded?

And you keep lumping in the smallfolk with the kingdom, so I'm going to have to explain the difference. The "kingdom" of the United States has fought two wars in the last decade and has been in a number of violence conflicts outside of those wars. Our country is in a massive national debt. But the smallfolk of America have among the highest standard of living the world. For the most part, they have been cared for, even at the cost of other countries' smallfolk. We can live our lives, go to the store, watch sports and live peacefully without worrying about the international Game of Thrones.

^This is how the smallfolk lived under Robert.

Robert was King and could do anything he wanted to I'm sure disinheriting a prince was little to no problem, he would still have Tommen as an heir FYI. And yes protect the Kingdom from Joffery like never having him be King or teaching him how to be a king something he neglected to do.

Robert decided to be King, his actions spoke louder than his words. Robert didn't have to be King and nobody forced him to he took that throne and stayed on it for 15yrs enjoying the good that came along with being King. Just because Robert said he didn't want to be King means shit when everything he did along with fighting to keep the crown showed that he was fine with being King, until the hard stuff that came with it came along.

And no I didn't blame a war only on Robert neglecting his wife read my post you'll also see it being blamed on him keeping Jamie around and not paying more attention to Joffery, or letting people like Varys and Littlefinger manipulate and steal power at court

I think "hovel" is the word that was used by Tyrion to describe the homes by the bay that were up against the wall, I may be wrong, its been a long time since I read a Clash of Kings but that's why I used that word. Also if a person chooses to live next to train tracks you can expect to hear trains often, likewise if a person chooses to build your house up against the wall of a capital city that was sacked by a hostile army not 20 years before, then that person should know that should another army come to lay siege to the city their house could be in the way. I'm not saying its fair or that armies burning people's houses down is moral but in Westeros you have to acknowledge they should have sensed some risk there. Tyrion cleared those bayside hovels/homes/dwellings or whatever out to make the wall more defensible. I understand the owners of those dwellings had no reason to love him for it, but it was better for the populace of Kings Landing as a whole.

I doubt the people living there "choose" it though ;) not in any particular discreement with you over the decition Tyrion made

He knew Joffery's nature and was scared to leave the Kingdom to him but never did anything to fix that. How could he care about the small folk but at the same time and want someone like Joffery as their King?

This does not follow. A.) he worried about his son and did not 'want' him to inherit, but had little definitive reason, which would make disinheriting Joff neigh-unthinkable. B.) he did not expect he would get killed (murdered) so young - and when he did, he deliberately entrusted his son to a loving, honorable, decent man who's quite accomplished at raising children. We don't really know how Robert felt about the common man, but it's entirely possible for them to care a great deal for them without ultimately doing the best thing for them. People are fallible - Robert especially.

I don't understand what you're saying about Renly. He gave Brienne a job and treated her kindly. Does he need to marry her to care about her. It only shows that Renly had the same gendered perspective of 99% of Westeros. Still, he was able to overcome that and respect her for her martial prowess. ...how does that make him two-faced?

The discussion was about Lord's who cared about the smallfolk, not who treated them well. I suspect Tarly actually treated the people he ruled better than most Lords in the realm, but he did not care about them. Tywin too was probably not to bad during a time of peace. I am not questioning whether Renly treated Brienne well or not. I agree he did. The argument is that he has been shown to feign compassion when it suits him as shown by Brienne. Since he was feigning to care for Brienne, he might be doing the same for the lesser people.

You brought up two bastards who were raised with their family even though I already said that Robert tried to do EXACTLY THAT with Mya.

Robert had the chance, but neglected her well before he got married.

Oh, Varys just started sending gifts to a random boy in the Stormlands? He didn't do it at Robert's orders?

Robert did not even care enough to find out what the boy was getting.

In the books, the commoners talk constantly about how things were good under Robert. They talk about how the Kingsroad isn't safe anymore and there's no food, etc. In what way was he not caring for the smallfolk? Was there some way they were suffering under his reign?

Yes, because Robert left the actual governing of the realm to Jon and Stannis. The common people liked Aerys too, but it does not mean he cared about them. Robert made no effort to ensure their well being or be a good king. He himself knew he was a bad king.

I doubt the people living there "choose" it though ;) not in any particular discreement with you over the decition Tyrion made

I would say that most of them do have choices, children not so much, and I would agree that some people may have been stuck their by unfortunate circumstance but for those unlucky few who were wanting to move out from under the wall but just couldn't by the time Stannis got there, that's just bad timing. That said, however, I would still say that over any considerable period of time, non-slave adults do have choices about where they live, surely Flea Bottom would have been affordable and at least it was inside the walls, eh, lol.

Archived