Why Robert

JonathanTheBold

so I've been thinking about Roberts Rebellion and found myself wondering why make Robert king I understand that his grandmother was a targaryen and his family may be targaryen bastards but te war started over the Stark family and Jon Arryn refusing to give up Ned and Robert and I understand that Ned probably wouldn't want the throne but if Ned and Robert were relitively young why wouldn't Jon Arrny claim the throne by right of conquest since that's basically what Robert did

@MLaden Orys Baratheon was rumored to be Aegon the Conqueror's bastard half brother. So, it may not be entirely inaccurate to describe the Baratheons as Targ bastards.

@OP Jon Arryn probably didn't even want the Iron Throne, also it was Robert's Rebellion- not Jon Arryn's Rebellion. Robert Baratheon was the leader and inspiration- why not give him the throne?

Young, handsome, charismatic, powerful lord, fearsome warrior - why not? He was a better choice than Jon or Ned, especially since Ned didn't want the throne and Jon was considered too old. Plus the Targ lineage helped as well. I don't think Jon wanted the throne either, but he would have been happy serving as Robert's Hand.

@MLaden Orys Baratheon was rumored to be Aegon the Conqueror's bastard half brother. So, it may not be entirely inaccurate to describe the Baratheons as Targ bastards.

Yes, but Targaryen blood in Robert was being proven via Rhaelle Targaryen not Orys. Not entirely inaccurate, but not the reason why Robert`s right was above others, according to Maesters.

Oryes Baratheon was Aegon the conquerors bastard brother so they would technically be targaryen bastards but all bullshit aside Robert had no real claim to the throne he won it by conquest which wouldn't have happend if Jon Arryn hadn't rebelled so why not claim it him self it's his war in the sense that he was the first to formally rebel Rickard and Brandon wernt rebelling Brandon wanted justices and Rickard was come to his kings call

Robert was more popular, Robert was young and strong, Jon Arryn was a married man by then (alongwith Ned), etc etc. They didn't give much of a shit about Targ blood; why honour the blood of their enemy so much? They used to mention Robert's Targ blood to

'appease' newly conquered subjects who had loved the Targs. Politics.

I'm damn sure that if Robert had no Targ blood he'd still rebel, because reasons for his rebellion were the Lyanna thing and Aerys being crazy.

It was Robert who drove the warhammer onto Rhaegar's chest - it was called Robert's Rebellion, after all. My understanding was that Robert being the main military person on the rebellion, by conquest, the iron throne was his... Him being of Targaryen lineage was mostly irrelevant.

The way I read it, everybody seemed to rally around Robert, even if he wasn't the first instigator. He was young, charasmatic, a fierce warrior who took on all comers and had great feats in battle. Nodoby really say Ned's influence of holding him back when necessary, they saw Robert leading daring battles to victory. Robert would have been toast without Ned though.

` Robert didn't want the throne. If Ned had wanted it it would've been his and the rebellion would have been known as 'Ned's Rebellion' or the 'Stark Rebellion'.

I'm assuming Jon also didn't want the throne. Robert's Targaryen blood didn't mean much. At best, it simply allowed some former loyalist lord to save face by claiming a Targaryen was still on the Iron Throne.

ETA:

:ninja: Toxspecific raised some of the same points.

He is charismatic,Easy to like,all the lords who served under him loved him,He won over even the rebel lords,So why not??

The Targ blood was just an excuse,He'd have been even if was just a Stromlander.

Arryn didn't want the throne as well, he just protected his wards, who he considered his own sons

the claim from the blood is strong than the claim from the conquest, among honorble men

It was a rebellion not a war of succession.

It was Robert who drove the warhammer onto Rhaegar's chest - it was called Robert's Rebellion, after all. My understanding was that Robert being the main military person on the rebellion, by conquest, the iron throne was his... Him being of Targaryen lineage was mostly irrelevant.

it's called Robert Rebellion in hindsight

My theory?

Because Jon Arryn wanted to use Robert as a puppet. He loved him, but he was also a high lord and a player of the game. He married a Tully to secure the Riverlands, had a ward of both the north and the stormlands, and married one of those wards to the Lannisters.

Arryn played the game well, but he, like everyone else that has died in the series, trusted LF.

Archived