Roose Bolton in TRoC (book spoilers)

Roose not making a show of this "masterpiece" of a plan coming together was really my only issue in the whole episode. The drive-by stabbing was sort of anticlimactic imo.

I rewatched the scene, and it went by a bit slower this time for me. It's still quick, but the camera does cut to Cat's reaction which makes it seem even quicker. I don't know how much longer he could've stood there since Robb could barely stand and thus falls over relatively quickly. It's just one of those unfortunate TV things were prolonging something could make it seem way too Hollywood.

I do wish they had him wear his cloak...I always found that so preposterous that he was dressed in armor and helm with his pink cloak to stab a guy who's almost already dead...Only a real ass does that lol.

You've all made a great deal about the meaning of my smirk, so I'll let you in on the truth. Seconds before we shot that scene, Michelle made a joke about the size of my schlong (totally inaccurate, I might add), I couldn't quite get the smile off my face (and I'll admit, it was somewhat of an embarrassed smile). Michelle and I apologized to David and asked to shoot it again as I was supposed have stuck my tongue out at Michelle when she discovered the mail. Strangely, David thought that the grin was even better, so we kept it.

Thanks Mike!

I think it would have been perfect if he had been slapped, just looked at Cat for a second, smiled, and glanced up at the balcony before backing away.

That would have been perfect.

Agreed.

However, that little smirk seemed very much him. He's a subtler monster than Ramsay, but it's not surprising that he's a bit excited at the thought of getting rid of the last obstacle to shoring up his control of Winterfell

I think the smirk was perfect, very chilling, and by the time the doors were shut and Frey started his speech the Starks' fate was sealed, he wasn't in any danger of giving the plan away, he chose the pefect moment to mock his victim. There is a heavy degree of psychological torment to the ambush, Robb watches his wife die and Cat watches her son die before she is offed. Intentionally letting Cat know that shit was about to go down and there was nothing she could do about it was a calculated and cruel twist.

Agree, that smile just felt like Roose taking a sadistic pleasure in letting Cat know how doomed she and her son really were. I loved it. Roose may not have feelings, but he delights in playing with people's emotions. We've already seen some of this in the scene with Jaime, and the exchange with Cat really helped show just how chilling he is.

Off topic, but I'm hoping that in the next episode, Ramsay reveals the details of the RW to Theon, and essentially guilt trips him and torments him so that Theon feels that it's all his fault. Like father, like son.

Off topic, but I'm hoping that in the next episode, Ramsay reveals the details of the RW to Theon, and essentially guilt trips him and torments him so that Theon feels that it's all his fault. Like father, like son.

Off topic, but wow... it never occured to me before, but we can blame Theon for the RW. At least in the books, where Robb turned to Jeyne for comfort after the supposed death of his brothers, bringing about the feud with the Freys.

On the tv show, Roose would have to be my favourite character. Every scene he's in (lately, at least) ends up being great. The "Lannisters send their regards" line I thought could've been better, but the previous look he gave Cat made up for it.

I cannot wait for the "don't make me rue the day I raped your mother" line.

• 4 weeks later...

The Roose. The Roose. The Roose is on fire.

this

I lol and roll my eyes bigtime when people get all fandumb over Ramsay but I'll be goddamned if The Roose "Is Loose" Bolton and Michael McElhatton by extension isn't just the best thing (i am the hypocrite, it's me, but still)

I thought the "Oh, yeah, you just got OWNED" look was perfect. Top-notch trolling.

I'm a big fan of the Boltons (as wrong as that sounds) and I think the show is doing them both pretty much perfectly. Ramsay the gloating panto uber-baddie and Roose the iron fist in the (presumably pink) velvet glove.

this

I lol and roll my eyes bigtime when people get all fandumb over Ramsay but I'll be goddamned if The Roose "Is Loose" Bolton and Michael McElhatton by extension isn't just the best thing (i am the hypocrite, it's me, but still)

I'm thoroughly entertained whenever he shows up. He steals dang near every scene. I was watching Season 2 with an Unsullied friend of mine and I had to stop myself from giving away how dangerous he and House Bolton are to the fate of the Starks and the back-story of them being rivals in the North.

I thought the "Oh, yeah, you just got OWNED" look was perfect. Top-notch trolling.

I'm a big fan of the Boltons (as wrong as that sounds) and I think the show is doing them both pretty much perfectly. Ramsay the gloating panto uber-baddie and Roose the iron fist in the (presumably pink) velvet glove.

He has a deft political hand, I think he would've been a great hand to Robb if the war had gone in his favor, and still uses low cunning to really twist the knife, so to speak. That knowing smirk chills me to the quick too - you never know where he stands until it's too late and even then he's inscrutable. Trollface could learn a thing or too from McElhatton's Leech Lord. :devil: :leer:

I can't help but like Ramsay as well. He kept Season 3 very, very interesting. I crack up anytime I see those gifs of him playing with his food and tormenting poor Theon.

Prunes and leeches, I tell ya. This is the stuff of a Boss in Westeros..

I'm thoroughly entertained whenever he shows up. He steals dang near every scene. I was watching Season 2 with an Unsullied friend of mine and I had to stop myself from giving away how dangerous he and House Bolton are to the fate of the Starks and the back-story of them being rivals in the North.

He has a deft political hand, I think he would've been a great hand to Robb if the war had gone in his favor, and still uses low cunning to really twist the knife, so to speak. That knowing smirk chills me to the quick too - you never know where he stands until it's too late and even then he's inscrutable. Trollface could learn a thing or too from McElhatton's Leech Lord. :devil: :leer:

I can't help but like Ramsay as well. He kept Season 3 very, very interesting. I crack up anytime I see those gifs of him playing with his food and tormenting poor Theon.

Prunes and leeches, I tell ya. This is the stuff of a Boss in Westeros..

What is the picture in your avatar from?

I think Roose is general is just horribly miscast.

Roose of the books is weasely, soft spoken and has beady eyes and wormy lips. You know from the beginning that everyone was scared of him because he said so little. This Roose is nothing of the sort, and has way too much of an Alpha male/strong featured face and handsomeness.

I think they've done a different job overall with casting, but Roose is one of those who they just completely struck out on.

I think Roose is general is just horribly miscast.

Roose of the books is weasely, soft spoken and has beady eyes and wormy lips. You know from the beginning that everyone was scared of him because he said so little. This Roose is nothing of the sort, and has way too much of an Alpha male/strong featured face and handsomeness.

I think they've done a different job overall with casting, but Roose is one of those who they just completely struck out on.

Hmmm.. He is pretty good looking, but The Bastard of Bolton has the wormy lips. You know what I missed? The leeches, when he was in Harrehal and having a whispery conference w/ The Stoats (Freys) naked and being leeched.

Archived