Roose Bolton in TRoC (book spoilers)

The entire Boy plot, refusing to show him just as being Bolton's Bastard, all that effort, was done for one moment, and one moment only (arguably the best-acted body language in television history): Bolton's troll smile to Catelyn.

The smile/chain-mail tease is Roose's proper introduction as the next "Big Bad" on GoT. I loved it.

I agree that there was an element of "and now the mask finally slips." This loyal, courteous, but cold general is actually a monster. Very horror-movie like

I feel like people have a different understanding of book Roose. While clearly cold and introverted, Theon instantly recognizes the cruelty in his eyes and knows he's a dangerous man, much more so than the maniacal psychopath that's basically made his life hell. He's also described as taking enjoyment out of playing with men and women as if they were toys. These aren't characteristics of someone who doesn't really care or wouldn't enjoy when his machinations come to fruition.

He enjoys playing with men, and he enjoyed playing with Cat when she realizes what's about to happen. Now that we see his true colors, or at least that layer of him we hadn't seen on the show, to then be revealed that Boy is Ramsey accomplishes a sense of "Oh god that makes sense, those guys are creeps!" And properly villafies them for the upcoming arcs of the Stark loyal bannermen (And Stannis) vs. the new North under Bolton.

I thought the look that Roose gave Cat after she exposed his mail was pefect, I must be the only one. haha

Also I believe that Roose ran after being slapped to help subdue Rob's bannerman.

Nope, I thought his glance was great as well. Michael McElhatton killed it.

I love the paralell between Roose and Ramsay.

All the things Ramsay went through to "save" Theon, and that evil smile when Theon realized where he was showed how fucked up Ramsay is.

Roose did also keep his poker face, casually chatting with Catelyn and just being chill until that moment he let her see the chainmail.God, that evil, evil smile, in some way it made him seem way more fucked up than Ramsay.

I'm surprised if some unsullied haven't already seen the connection between those two (and how are they ignoring Bolton's flayed man cross?).

Well, I was totally wrong about Ramsay and Roose being connected in this episode. I personally still think it would have probably been a good decision though. Considering it was basically a Stark-centric episode (Bran/Arya/Cat/Robb), Dany didn't fit in this episode at all and it stood out. There was a Sam scene, but at least it was quite brief and connected to the Wall. And Ramsay is connected to Roose Bolton, hence the RW and betrayal in a way.

Roose rushed in to stab Robb with the frantic urgency of someone who'd just realized he'd left behind his wallet.

"Shit! He's about to die, and my chance to be a major dick by Giving The Regards will forever be lost!"

Also, he effectively interrupted -- dare I say cut off? -- Robb's last words to his mother. On top of all the other shit they were being served, Roose made sure they didn't even get to say goodbye.

Precision in his cruelty. Yep, that's Roose.

I agree that there was an element of "and now the mask finally slips." This loyal, courteous, but cold general is actually a monster. Very horror-movie like

I so agree! I felt exactly the same way, it was beyond creepy and chilling.

I just don't understand people like Manfryd above, who ignore all of the enormous time given to describing Bolton's caution and near-obsessiveness about his own health in the books, and dismiss it as just "acting like a bitch" when he chooses to get out of the way of arrow fire.

Again, it's not just what he did, it's how he did it. Book!Roose behaved totally differently during the wedding. He didn't stoop himself to the cheap thrill of taunting Catelyn at the risk of giving up his game too early; he didn't get slapped in the face; he didn't run away from a woman (that's how it looked, crossbows notwithstanding); and he didn't play out the epitome of his family's ancient feud with only a few mumbled words and a quick stab.

What he did was carry himself with calmness and dignity, never showing any direct sign of the incoming treason; he returned in force, wearing the deeply symbolic Bolton armour; and his act of delivering the final thrust to Rob was not glossed over and rushed the way it was in the show. (I'm not saying it should have been slow: it could be fast, but impactful, and leave a powerful impression upon the viewer. As it stands now, it's just a bunch of random guys running around stabbing Rob and Cat).

The show kept the important part of Bolton's involvement (stabbing Robb and sending Lannister regards) and also illustrated both his cruel amusements and his safety-first attitude

Yeah, they got the basics, but didn't do justice to the original. They changed some parts for no good reason, and the result is flawed and uninspired.

The show cheapened Bolton's character by making him less menacing, imposing, untouchable and memorable than in the book. Same thing they did with Ramsay, really: despite Ivan Rheon's great performance, it just can't get over the fact that Ramsay's character was severely gutted by the show, with a lot of his viciously awesome deeds either completely cut out or given to unimportant characters.

Anyone who thinks that Roose Bolton turned his cloak to survive, and not go down with the sinking ship of Stark has..."NOT BEEN PAYING ATTENTION"

The Boltons and the Starks are the most bitter enemies of any two families in this world. Someone wrote earlier that under Eddard, and later Robb, Roose had to hide his families heritage, its history of cruelty, dominance and political opposition to the Starks of Winterfell. That person was 100% right. Bolton, much earlier than Walder Frey or even Tywin Lannister, was looking for a way to take advantage of young Robb and do what his ancestors have tried to do for 8,000 years: destroy the male line of Stark, forcibly marry their women and claim the North.

That same person also mentioned the symbolic value of "the armor". The armor, worn by both father and son, does indeed represent the full and final revelation of House Bolton: cruel, proud and merciless. It is worn only in moments of utter victory:

1. Ramsay's sack of Winterfell

2. Roose's murder of the "last" male Stark

3. Roose's arrival to the North as the Lord Paramount, triumphant

The Boltons are far, far greater villains than the Freys. They are traitors who have taken advantage of House Stark's unwillingness to exterminate them years ago, waiting for weakness. We know what Roose thinks of young lords and how they doom a house. He saw the same in Robb. He took every chance to undermine the Young Wolf, from Winterfell to the bleeding of loyalist forces, to the retention of his own, to the alliance with House Frey, and even to the sacrifice of the Brave Companions to Ser Gregore.

That having been said, I believe Roose knows, inside, that his line is finished. His bastard will kill any of his trueborn sons, but he lacks the subtlety or guile to hold the North for long after his father's death. Therefore, I would not be shocked if the big twist in Book 6 is that Roose himself kills Ramsay.

1. "That person" = me;

2. +100% agree on everything said.

Well, Roose is one of my favourite characters, and I've been known to critique this show quite a bit so you can be damn well sure I'd be ranting if Roose had been cheapened. I really don't think he has. He was VERY sinister this episode, actually his look to Catelyn was fucking terrifying.

His stab to Robb was perfect, did you want a slow motion hollywood death?

I really feel Roose was particularly wonderful this episode.

God forbid turning away from a woman, also Catelyn's slap was fucking thunderous.

Well, Roose is one of my favourite characters, and I've been known to critique this show quite a bit so you can be damn well sure I'd be ranting if Roose had been cheapened. I really don't think he has. He was VERY sinister this episode, actually his look to Catelyn was fucking terrifying.

His stab to Robb was perfect, did you want a slow motion hollywood death?

I really feel Roose was particularly wonderful this episode.

God forbid turning away from a woman, also Catelyn's slap was fucking thunderous.

I didn't think his look to Cat was sinister, more of "what do you expect" but I liked it, I love the guy who plays him, he does the quiet menance to perfection. Its too bad he hasn't gotten more screen time.

Yep, it looks like Roose is going to be enjoying a front seat to the destruction of Robb's remaining forces.

Grand. Rheon mentioned in an interview that the Ramsay reveal might be in episode 10 (I've followed this shit long enough to read their poor attempts at being cryptic), but I was sooo sure it would be a visual reveal. Like, Roose walking in on the torture and shouting down his son for physically ruining their valuable prisoner.

Wonder how it'll go down if he stays at the Twins for a while...

Anyone who thinks that Roose Bolton turned his cloak to survive, and not go down with the sinking ship of Stark has..."NOT BEEN PAYING ATTENTION"

The Boltons and the Starks are the most bitter enemies of any two families in this world. Someone wrote earlier that under Eddard, and later Robb, Roose had to hide his families heritage, its history of cruelty, dominance and political opposition to the Starks of Winterfell. That person was 100% right. Bolton, much earlier than Walder Frey or even Tywin Lannister, was looking for a way to take advantage of young Robb and do what his ancestors have tried to do for 8,000 years: destroy the male line of Stark, forcibly marry their women and claim the North.

That same person also mentioned the symbolic value of "the armor". The armor, worn by both father and son, does indeed represent the full and final revelation of House Bolton: cruel, proud and merciless. It is worn only in moments of utter victory:

1. Ramsay's sack of Winterfell

2. Roose's murder of the "last" male Stark

3. Roose's arrival to the North as the Lord Paramount, triumphant

The Boltons are far, far greater villains than the Freys. They are traitors who have taken advantage of House Stark's unwillingness to exterminate them years ago, waiting for weakness. We know what Roose thinks of young lords and how they doom a house. He saw the same in Robb. He took every chance to undermine the Young Wolf, from Winterfell to the bleeding of loyalist forces, to the retention of his own, to the alliance with House Frey, and even to the sacrifice of the Brave Companions to Ser Gregore.

That having been said, I believe Roose knows, inside, that his line is finished. His bastard will kill any of his trueborn sons, but he lacks the subtlety or guile to hold the North for long after his father's death. Therefore, I would not be shocked if the big twist in Book 6 is that Roose himself kills Ramsay.

I love your post !

When I first saw this ep it was a total WTF at the way Roose behaved at the chain mail reveal. Then I just started laughing at it, because his trolling was hilarious.

By the way, is there a way of finding out if your post was replied to, other than flipping through the pages? I'm not sure if I'm overlooking something here. Thanks!

I thought the look that Roose gave Cat after she exposed his mail was pefect, I must be the only one. haha

Also I believe that Roose ran after being slapped to help subdue Rob's bannerman.

No agreed. Just because Roose is much better at the game then his son....at waiting for his moments. He too is a total sadist. I loved that slight smirk. it was his moment of triumph. He feels he was always better suited to rule the north. Not that sanctimonious Eddard....not his fool boy of a son. He did look down at his sleeve. he wanted cat to look. He couldn't contain himself any further. He wanted her to know what he had done before Walder Frey that decaying old letcher could reveal. This was his design.

Archived