I have an Egg question that's bugging me.

mindchap

Is it ever directly stated in the books that Egg was trying to hatch dragons at Summerhall? The reason I ask is that if Egg knew that the PwwP would come from Rhaella and Aerys line why would he be trying to hatch the dragons? Doesn't the prophecy say something about the dragons coming back when the PwwP came along? I mean he pretty much knows that it's not him and Egg doesn't seem like the kind of person to just say "what the hell let's try it anyway". Also there are the eggs themselves why would he risk destroying the eggs when he believes someone will come along who could use them?

It's not direclty stated. All we know is that there was some experiment involving fire, dragons, and it happened at Summerhall. We also know that caused a lot of grief.

It is possible that if there were dragon eggs involved (which seems a reasonable assumption), the three eggs Dany received as a wedding gift are the same ones.

Is it ever directly stated in the books that Egg was trying to hatch dragons at Summerhall? The reason I ask is that if Egg knew that the PwwP would come from Rhaella and Aerys line why would he be trying to hatch the dragons? Doesn't the prophecy say something about the dragons coming back when the PwwP came along? I mean he pretty much knows that it's not him and Egg doesn't seem like the kind of person to just say "what the hell let's try it anyway". Also there are the eggs themselves why would he risk destroying the eggs when he believes someone will come along who could use them?

I have always felt the Summerhall event was based on two considerations 1. Rhegar's to be born thing .. & 2. the prophecy of the PwwP ...

Egg , perosnally comes across as areasonably rationale person & in some ways he might have decided to experiment on the lines of the prophecy keeping into account the Rhegar's birth ( he must have considered R to be the PwwP ) .. Unfortunately something must have got wrong .. thus becoming a sad conclusion to what might have been a few more prospective Dunk & Egg Stories ! :(

It's not confirmed, but that is the prevailing theory given the triangulated hints we have.

My theory goes like so:

The woods witch tells Aegon about Aerys and Rhaella's line and the Prince That Was Promised. We have decent evidence he took her seriously since he did have them married. I think she also told him that she saw "a dragon hatch at Summerhall," leading him to attempt to hatch actual dragon eggs, thinking that's what she meant. The hatching attempt obviously went splat, a bunch of people died and a dragon was born that day: Rhaegar, in the Baelor Breakspear and Aegon V mold of dragon-hatching. The vision referred to a Targaryen, not a literal dragon.

I have always felt the Summerhall event was based on two considerations 1. Rhegar's to be born thing .. & 2. the prophecy of the PwwP ...

Egg , perosnally comes across as areasonably rationale person & in some ways he might have decided to experiment on the lines of the prophecy keeping into account the Rhegar's birth ( he must have considered R to be the PwwP ) .. Unfortunately something must have got wrong .. thus becoming a sad conclusion to what might have been a few more prospective Dunk & Egg Stories ! :(

Well we are supposed to get the D&E tales all the way up to Summerhall, I just hate to have to wait that long. And as for the eggs there should have been at least a dozen during the D&E stories and surely if they were not found right after the accident Rhaegar would have found them eventually.

It's not confirmed, but that is the prevailing theory given the triangulated hints we have.

My theory goes like so:

The woods witch tells Aegon about Aerys and Rhaella's line and the Prince That Was Promised. We have decent evidence he took her seriously since he did have them married. I think she also told him that she saw "a dragon hatch at Summerhall," leading him to attempt to hatch actual dragon eggs, thinking that's what she meant. The hatching attempt obviously went splat, a bunch of people died and a dragon was born that day: Rhaegar, in the Baelor Breakspear and Aegon V mold of dragon-hatching. The vision referred to a Targaryen, not a literal dragon.

Or maybe Daeron dreamed it at some point.

the three eggs Dany received as a wedding gift are the same ones.

Really? I thought Dany's eggs came from Asshai. Also, in all the Egg and Dunk series none of the eggs presented matched Dany's.

Really? I thought Dany's eggs came from Asshai. Also, in all the Egg and Dunk series none of the eggs presented matched Dany's.

Exactly but Egg says all the princes have one so there are more than just the few he describes and Bloodraven's.

Illyrio would tell her they came from Asshai. Otherwise he'd have to explain how he got the family eggs. While it's true that the eggs don't match up perfectly, the color combinations are there (silver/gold, green/cream, black/red) such that it's not out of the question for the eggs to come from the same "family," even if they aren't the exact same eggs in D&E.

The woods witch tells Aegon about Aerys and Rhaella's line and the Prince That Was Promised. We have decent evidence he took her seriously since he did have them married.

Wasn't Jaehaerys II the one that commanded Aerys and Rhaella to marry?

Wasn't Jaehaerys II the one that commanded Aerys and Rhaella to marry?

I could have sworn it was Aegon. He was the king at the time, their marriage would have been under his jurisdiction. The Wiki actually contradicts itself. Rhaella's entry says it was Jaehaerys, Aegon V's says it was him. Seeing as Aegon was king when this occurred, I'm going with him.

I could have sworn it was Aegon. He was the king at the time, their marriage would have been under his jurisdiction. The Wiki actually contradicts itself. Rhaella's entry says it was Jaehaerys, Aegon V's says it was him. Seeing as Aegon was king when this occurred, I'm going with him.

I argued this with a couple of other folks in another thread and someone confirmed that the app said it was Jaehaerys II. Sorry I don't have the app and I don't recall the thread.

Yeah I think it's been argued on here before because the wiki says one thing and the books indicate another, I wouldn't swear it in blood but I'm pretty sure Egg was responsible for that. And I see your point about Illyrio not being honest about where they came from, there still should have been more though, unless something happens between Mystery Knight and Summerhall which is also possible.

Yeah I think it's been argued on here before because the wiki says one thing and the books indicate another, I wouldn't swear it in blood but I'm pretty sure Egg was responsible for that. And I see your point about Illyrio not being honest about where they came from, there still should have been more though, unless something happens between Mystery Knight and Summerhall which is also possible.

I'm betting that Illyrio and Varys have more than what they gave Dany, and/or there really is a cache on Dragonstone somewhere.

I'm pretty sure the books too indicate it was Aegon; I thought it had to have been Aegon before I looked at the Wiki and found the contradiction.

I'm betting that Illyrio and Varys have more than what they gave Dany, and/or there really is a cache on Dragonstone somewhere.

I'm pretty sure the books too indicate it was Aegon; I thought it had to have been Aegon before I looked at the Wiki and found the contradiction.

Yeah I doubt they would put all their eggs in Dany's basket, just in case that whole thing didn't pan out. And I don't remember right off but I think maybe Aemon mentions something about it being Egg's doing but I'm not 100% on that.

Illyrio was a trader in dragonbone with contacts in the far east where dragons probably originated and likely still dwell in the wild.

I argued this with a couple of other folks in another thread and someone confirmed that the app said it was Jaehaerys II. Sorry I don't have the app and I don't recall the thread.

Yeah, that was me, I think. Multiple entries in the app say it was Jaehaerys. I would have sworn it was Aegon, too, before I saw that. Even so, I think Apple's theory is dead on. Someone saw a vision of the birth of a dragon; Egg and co. attempted to fulfill the prophecy; the result was Rhaegar.

Yeah, that was me, I think. Multiple entries in the app say it was Jaehaerys. I would have sworn it was Aegon, too, before I saw that. Even so, I think Apple's theory is dead on. Someone saw a vision of the birth of a dragon; Egg and co. attempted to fulfill the prophecy; the result was Rhaegar.

FWIW, n Book 5, Barristan specifically tells Dany that her "grandsire" was responsible for the marriage of Aerys and Rhaella. Her grandsire is/was Jaehaerys, but Barristan doesn't refer to him by name and it would make more sense for the marriage to have been ordered by Aegon.

Archived