GGRRM says on Conan that the TV show might not end the same way as the books...

Turin Turambar

I mean, he said that the manuscripts are going to be each over 1500 pages right? And assuming he doesn't encounter the same problems that AFFC and ADWD did, we should get the books a bit quicker.

I just started reading the books themselves, on book 2 at the moment, so I can only imagine though how hesitant you all must be. I can't imagine having to wait six years for a book.

couple of things - GRRM has said when he set out to write these books he wanted to write something that could never be put on screen / would be impossible to film.

Also these books were written 15 or so years ago, so I see nothing wrong with the tv plot deviating from the books in order to make "better television"

couple of things - GRRM has said when he set out to write these books he wanted to write something that could never be put on screen / would be impossible to film.

Also these books were written 15 or so years ago, so I see nothing wrong with the tv plot deviating from the books in order to make "better television"

What does being written 15 years ago have to do with making good TV?

D&D will look at Martin's notes for the last book if it comes to it. Some little stylistic things will be changed as they have been the whole time and some minor characters fate will likely change. However, all the big stuff will be the same.

What I'm very curious about with the show: do they have trapdoors planned? In other words, if they're suddenly told by HBO, "OK guys, one season left, rather than the three you were hoping for", do they have a Plan B for how to wrap it up, or are they just planning to stop at whatever point in the books they get to?

I'm sure they have a plan B of some sorts.

There's a lot of storylines not touched by in the series (yet), or just hinted upon and easily discartable (from the POV of non readers anyway), e.g. Jon's parentage, the whole ironborn/kingsmoot/Vicarion/arc, Meeren, everything Dornish, Griff/young Griff, Arya as FM-Padavan, etc.

They could finish it up in another season if they concentrate on wrapping up storylines as opposed to keep opening new ones left and right like GRRM does.

Does anyone really believe that George is gonna have the final book out before the tv series has to wrap up? This isn't Bonzanza, it has to end eventually and all the talk of prequel movies, a season about Dunk & Egg, etc is just a fan boy pipe dream. The more changes they've made on the show the more I'm able to just enjoy it for what it is and stop worrying about how perfectly it matches what happens in the books.

The more changes they've made on the show the more I'm able to just enjoy it for what it is and stop worrying about how perfectly it matches what happens in the books.

After the season final, I'm finally coming to terms with this. I'm letting go of all expectations.

While us readers know the major plotlines before they happen (and the show features the vast majority of those) the show is still a joy to watch, because we get to see some brilliant character interactions that are not in the book (Varys-LF, Varys-Olenna, Olenna-Tywin, Frey-Bolton), and that keeps readers guessing. The purists can always choose not to watch the show, but it's entertaining television. The books will always be better but that being said the show ALWAYS feels fresh to me, especially this season. And GoT is my favourite show kn TV

I hope they don't catch up. I know that GRRM has told the D&D how it ends so it shouldn't be different. The ending SHOULD be the same. Just how we get to that point will likely be different.

I just don't want to see person X on the iron throne in the books and in the show person Y ends up on it. That would be stupid

But id much rather read the final books than watch them

Plus if they ever catch up you think they could produce a season of Roberts rebellion just to give GRRM extra time?

Unlikely but would like to see that one day

Nope, zero chance of a Robert's Rebellion season unless we want to see Rickon shaving. Just doesn't work and if they delay by one year then what's to say that Martin will be another yet late and then what do they do? Hope that ALL of the actors stick around waiting? It'd be a logistical nightmare.

We're most likely going to see the ending on TV before we see it in the books.

To me, this is a great thing. I'm thrilled to know that in 5 years or so, I'll be able to experience the ending to this saga.

If I was waiting on George to complete the books, I'd be a lot less optimistic.

We're most likely going to see the ending on TV before we see it in the books.

To me, this is a great thing. I'm thrilled to know that in 5 years or so, I'll be able to experience the ending to this saga.

If I was waiting on George to complete the books, I'd be a lot less optimistic.

This. A hundred times this.

I really don't know how the people who have been reading the books from the beginning can stand the wait - you have my respect!

I do wonder how many people basically wrote off the series 5-6 years ago, or have come back into the fold since the TV show started; I know that I abandoned "Wheel of Time" after reading Book 5 (I think?) and thinking "Crap, this is going nowhere, and taking a really long time to get there". Some people must have felt the same with Song of Ice and Fire. Hell, I'd probably have felt that way after DwD, if not for the TV show keeping me very interested indeed.

Archived