Is Bloodraven the Three-eyed Crow?

The Sleeper

...There is another clue similar to this in one of the D&E tales, that quite a few people miss as well.

Throw us a bone with the clue from D&E? Put it in spoiler tags if that's what you're worried about.

That's pretty much the idea.Bran's subconscious mind chose the crow to symbolize the entity that was trying to teach him to fly.A comfortable and familiar one. Asking for corn in the dream is a way of introducing familiar to Bran making the experience less terrifying.

As to why Bloodraven would ask for corn when warging Mormont's pet,I think that's more the raven than BR,but I think almost every aspect of corn symbolism is explored here...

http://asoiaf.wester...aven-a-re-read/

The next incarnation of this thread starts soon.

There are some obvious questions. Why do Bran, Jojen and Coldhands all see Bloodraven as a three-eyed crow, if it is due to their own subconscieous. Why does Jon see Bran as a weirwood and not a wolf or in his own form which would be a more familiar image to Jon? Regardelss of they are aware of how they appear in dreams, is there significance to the differences in appearance?

There are some obvious questions. Why do Bran, Jojen and Coldhands all see Bloodraven as a three-eyed crow, if it is due to their own subconscieous. Why does Jon see Bran as a weirwood and not a wolf or in his own form which would be a more familiar image to Jon? Regardelss of they are aware of how they appear in dreams, is there significance to the differences in appearance?

I think it may be less their own subconsciousnesses and more that BR isn't aware of what form he takes when appearing to others in the dream. Perhaps BR's subconscious is the reason he appears as a 3EC to others, but he isn't looking in a mirror and isn't aware of how he is appearing?

Same thing for Bran appearing as a Weirwood... he is tapping into the Weirnet, so Bran's subconscious causes him to appear as a Weirwood?

Just a thought. Not sure of the significance though (perhaps there is none)

Throw us a bone with the clue from D&E? Put it in spoiler tags if that's what you're worried about.

D&E Spoiler:

Maynard Plumm mentions Egg's ring before Dunk ever says anything about it. Giving his identity away only Dunk is too stressed to catch it.

D&E Spoiler:

Maynard Plumm mentions Egg's ring before Dunk ever says anything about it. Giving his identity away only Dunk is too stressed to catch it.

Cool I certainly missed that... remember being a little confused but not giving it much thought. tMK right? Now that I know what I'm looking for I'll have to do a reread.

Now I am as you see me, and now you will understand why I could not come to you …except in dreams.

He says this without Bran ever mentioning a dream, so he can't be just going along with what Bran is saying. There is another clue similar to this in one of the D&E tales, that quite a few people miss as well.

I agree that the two are most likely one in the same,... But i could be possible that BR doesn't actually know how he appeared in the dream. As in what form. a tree, himself, a crow etc etc... He only knows that he did in fact appear in a dream to Bran.

We're exploring strange territory here-the human subconscious.Freud and,even more so Jung have attempted to explore it.Jung hypothesized that we share a collective subconscious where certain dream symbols are universal-clouds,sun,grass etc,whereas at a higher level they're personal,based on life experiences.

I see the Bloodraven/Bran TEC dream and the Jon/Bran weirwood dream as a shared situation where all four were in a subconscious state.Shared dreaming,if you like,but dreaming with intent on the part of the greenseers.

I don't know if we'll ever get an answer to this,though I think we've only had the merest hint of what greenseeing is all about so far.I'm sure more will be revealed in the next two novels.

That aside,I remain convinced that Bloodraven is the Three Eyed Crow and that it's not some separate entity.

We're exploring strange territory here-the human subconscious.Freud and,even more so Jung have attempted to explore it.Jung hypothesized that we share a collective subconscious where certain dream symbols are universal-clouds,sun,grass etc,whereas at a higher level they're personal,based on life experiences.

I see the Bloodraven/Bran TEC dream and the Jon/Bran weirwood dream as a shared situation where all four were in a subconscious state.Shared dreaming,if you like,but dreaming with intent on the part of the greenseers.

I don't know if we'll ever get an answer to this,though I think we've only had the merest hint of what greenseeing is all about so far.I'm sure more will be revealed in the next two novels.

That aside,I remain convinced that Bloodraven is the Three Eyed Crow and that it's not some separate entity.

It's more of a musing on my part and the imagery may purely aesthetic, but Bran's storyline gives the feel that we are getting glimpses behind the scenes, so I can't help but wonder.

Archived