Stannis in books vs show

cooper56

In the show, not only does he know about Melisendre's shadow children, but he admits to having conspired with her to murder Renly, something that is most definately not the case in the books. This being his biggest crime so to speak in the series, it makes a huge difference with regard to his character.

In the show, not only does he know about Melisendre's shadow children, but he admits to having conspired with her to murder Renly, something that is most definately not the case in the books. This being his biggest crime so to speak in the series, it makes a huge difference with regard to his character.

In the books, he suspects what happens to Renly based on his dream but that's impossible to show on the series. As for the second one, he's fully aware of that one and even sends Davos along with Melisandre.

Actually I don't mind the way the show has gone with Selyse. Yes, she's significantly changed in some aspects (haughty & fanatic --> spooky and crazy) and the fetus scene was creepy, but it was a well done creepy and it's not like Selyse's character is so extremely central.

Davos was nicely done in large parts as well. Though I'm kind of sad that they robbed him of his decision what to do now that he became Hand -- learn to read. That was badass in the most quiet way imaginable.

I won't go as far as suggesting that TV show Stannis is a villain, just not as sympathetic in the books. On the other hand, the violent, proactive warlord we see in S2 Ep 9 fearlessly leading a charge against KL was absolutely fantastic for the character. As long as his trip North is handled well, I think a good portion of viewers will come to love him, just as a good portion of readers do.

"The Iron throne is mine by rights" quote always felt a little off though - the Iron throne is Stannis' by rights but he's more motivated by duty than a sense of entitlement like Dany.

Even after he showed up and saved the Nights Watch from Mance's wildling hoard?

I give him credit for that, it was a great part of that book. Its just not enough to catapult him over characters I've loved for 5 books. To me Stannis joined the badass party a little late in the story.

I give him credit for that, it was a great part of that book. Its just not enough to catapult him over characters I've loved for 5 books. To me Stannis joined the badass party a little late in the story.

Fair enough, i won't push the issue any further.

Yes, and because someone told him to. Before that he's just sitting around in a funk. Still, I like what he's doing in the North and if he continues, he will rise in my esteem. A little.

In the books, he suspects what happens to Renly based on his dream but that's impossible to show on the series. As for the second one, he's fully aware of that one and even sends Davos along with Melisandre.

... while in the TV series, he explicitly discusses having created a shadow with Melisendre and having sent it to kill Renly, hence my point.

I still can't accept Stanis in the tv show. In the books he is a lot more colder even when he is talking to Davos. I was watching the show again these last few days and when Stanis goes in the prison cell to talk to Davos it looks like Stanis is begging him to forgive him and its not the Stanis i have read about in the books.

I think it's all about to change.

One of the previews for episode 10 states "Unlikely mercy is shown at Dragonstone".

So I do think they will begin the buildup of showing him to be the principled man he actually is.

At least you Stannis fans got that epic Blackwater episode where Stan led the charge and was running around cutting people's heads in half. That was a change that definitely made him look way more badass than what he was doing during the Blackwater in the book.

True, much like a gilted lover after the relationship is over --- we'll always have the Blackwater.

Show-Stannis is a very muted and very dulled-down version of book Stannis. While book-Stannis was edgy, hard and defined as a man on a mission, show-Stannis is bitchy, petulant and morose. What I think happened was that the Show runner- B&W -looked at Stannis and pitched him as the evil "other" against the far more relatable Tyrion. Stannis is viewed- almost from the very first mention (Renly to Ned in episode 5 or 6 in the 1st Season, "We all know what Stannis is.") - as almost an alien; some foreign body that will kill the host. And I think B&W like it that way; Stannis serves multiple roles and one, for them, is as villian; as the "Other."

Also lost is Stannis' surprisingly dry sense of humor. In CoK he has one of the best lines in the book; when Renly says "I can assure you, she (Maergery) came to my bed a maiden." Stannis quips, "In your bed she's like to die that way." In SoS when Davos one-ups Mel in a debate, Stannis laughs, "He's got you there," which I always found funny.

Lost is Stannis' coldness- book-Stannis was hard, iron, and proud; he would just as often talk down to Mel as he would treat her as an equal. This has been replaced in the show by dog-Stannis who almost always seeks Mel's approval; she alwyas seems to have the last work; always seems to knw more than him.

And then you have the lack of those few warm-spots in Stannis: one of my favorite scenes in the books is when Stannis makes Davos Hand; when Davos protests he says, "Your lords will never listen to me" to which Stannis responds (perhaps warmly; perhaps cruely, we are never told), "Then we will make new ones." Its maybe the nicest Stannis has ever been.

Gone is Stannis' reasonable-side (you heard me). Unlike Tywin and Robb, Stannis can be talked out of bad ideas; most notable Davos TWICE talked Stannis out of bad actions- attacking the Claw Islands and in killing Edric Storm. Jon Snow also gets Stannis to change plans by giving him a "back-stage pass" to the Northern armies. Stannis is one of the few leaders who can be talked out of pre-concieved ideas. That is the true sign of a great leader. There is no trace of that in the show (okay, one trace - Davos tells Stannis to not bring Mel to Blackwater and he does not).

But all may not be lost...

I- for one - LOVED the peak into Stannis' home life. I found his wife creepy and sad, but loyal and true. I found that Stannis truly regretted cheating on her and that EVEN WHEN she was okay with it, it seemed to wound him more (as if he wanted his wife to be the one person who could still "put him in his place"). And I loved the scene with his daughter - especially watching her bear-hug Stannis and watching the King groan under the weight of ... unconditional love. I loved Stannis' talk to Davios about how he held SE against the Tyrells and how he hates cats ("... I like dogs; loyal animal... but we ate them too...").

And "Come with me and take this city" is about a good of a speech as any; Tyrion got the best line, but he had more air time. Short and sweet- far more applicable to Stannis than Tyrion (for once).

And that may be why all MAY NOT be lost. Robb dead, Renly dead, Tyrion impotent, Dany miles away; Ned dead, Winterfell in ruins, the Riverlands sacked, Jon Snow tied in knots.

Who's left? See, maybe men like Robb and Ned and even to a degree Tyrion were never meant to rule and therefore their exploits are always all too often all too brief. Maybe their heroism is what makes them so brittle; so transient; so sadly temporary. And their decency and humanity opens them up to the slings and arrows of, well, slings and arrows. And so that's why the heros WE WANT are all dead.

But Stannis is still chugging along (in the show he's on Dragonstone, but not for long); in the books he's neck deep in North. But he's there. MAybe the show is building Stannis up as the "best of the rest"; the idea that when push comes to shove and the prettier and more fragile paragons or virtue are gone, dead and burried, that what's left is a socially inept, steely, angry, whiney, and unoveable man and his proven determination; maybe Stannis' survival is proof enough of his worthiness; maybe his grit and no-nonsense approach is why he lived while others died.

And so maybe Stannis' legacy is that of the guy who is still here. When all the heros we wanted are dead, maybe the guy we are left with is the best chance any of us have to see a man become a hero.

Even if that man is the same guy who, when he met Samwell Tarly said, "I never immagined Randyl Tarly would have a son like you... you would have made a great hostage..."

Gone is Stannis' reasonable-side (you heard me). Unlike Tywin and Robb, Stannis can be talked out of bad ideas; most notable Davos TWICE talked Stannis out of bad actions- attacking the Claw Islands and in killing Edric Storm. Jon Snow also gets Stannis to change plans by giving him a "back-stage pass" to the Northern armies. Stannis is one of the few leaders who can be talked out of pre-concieved ideas. That is the true sign of a great leader. There is no trace of that in the show (okay, one trace - Davos tells Stannis to not bring Mel to Blackwater and he does not).

And in the show, Davos talked Stannis out of killing Gendry. And the Jon Snow event is probably still in the future of the show.

I think they really destroyed Stannis on the show. You can especially see this when Stannis is begging Mel for sex in episode 4, while books Stannis is borderline asexual.

Argh that was awful and yeah it was completely out of character

Archived