A Question of Mystical Creatures

SerGregori

Ok. So we all know that Dragons are the biggest, baddest magical creatures around. To the point that just having one on your side pretty much means victory. But...

On my third re-read of the series, something jumped out at me. In book 1, when Dany is having fun looking around the market (post Vaes Dothrak) she sees someone selling...Manticores. Flipping MANTICORES. For those unfamilier with Manticore lore (manitlore :P) thats a lion with the wings of a bat and tail of a scorpian. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but that would be a pretty kick-ass thing to have fighting for you, no?

Bearing in mind the dragons hadn't been born yet, so buying some manticores might've not been a bad idea. Surely the westerosi would poop their pants at the sight of one of these almost as much as when they seen a dragon.

Surely the manticore's existence within the world of ASOIAF means that other mythological beasts are possible. Discuss.

Manticores make a fearsome weapon, but I don't think it's for the battlefield. For one, the ASOIAF manticores are pretty tiny, not like the manticores from rl-Persion mythology. They seem to be mainly very poisonous insects, and as such you'd probably have a very hard time training them as soldiers. But they make extremely dangerous assassination tools - Barristan saves Dany from one later in the books.

Yeah, Manticores are some sort of arthropod/arachnid critter. Basilisks seem more intriguing, based on descriptions and the asian themed lands they come from, they sound similar to a Komodo Dragon or another large Monitor Lizard with a venomous bite (and yes, monitors like the Komodo ARE venomous, it was discovered a few years back. Their bites aren't just septic).

There are always the unicorns, the pride of Skagos.

Skagosi Unicorns are large, one horned goats. Shaggydog killed one.

Yeah, Manticores are some sort of arthropod/arachnid critter. Basilisks seem more intriguing, based on descriptions and the asian themed lands they come from, they sound similar to a Komodo Dragon or another large Monitor Lizard with a venomous bite (and yes, monitors like the Komodo ARE venomous, it was discovered a few years back. Their bites aren't just septic).

Skagosi Unicorns are large, one horned goats. Shaggydog killed one.

Thanks for your input! But what is the point in giving the name 'Manitcore' if its not a reference? If it was just some mad insect, call it a Myrekur or a Denskyre or some other made up name. To use the name from classical fiction ispires thoughts in that direction

Mythical Manticores are HIGHLY venomous, as are ASoIaF Manticore Bugs. Also, House Lorch has the Manticore on it's family arms, and our mythical Manticores also exist, in a mythological sense, in Valyria (it's a gargoyle at Dragonstone, built by the Targaryens), so maybe they named the highly venomous bug after it based on the potency of it's venom.

The Celtigars possess it not the Greyjoys.

It would be cool if someone sounds it before the series is out.

I find it quite interesting that all the special horns we hear of are supposed to summon/wake/control elemental creatures: Claw Isle horn krakens, Valyrian horn dragons, Joramun's horn giants.

It would be cool if someone sounds it before the series is out.

I find it quite interesting that all the special horns we hear of are supposed to summon/wake/control elemental creatures: Claw Isle horn krakens, Valyrian horn dragons, Joramun's horn giants.

The Valyrian Horn burns you up on the inside.... So does the Claw isle Horn cause you to drown via fluid build up in the lungs, and the Horn of Joramun give you internal frostbite? Probably not, but it would be hilarious if magical horns ALWAYS killed their blowers.

The Valyrian Horn burns you up on the inside.... So does the Claw isle Horn cause you to drown via fluid build up in the lungs, and the Horn of Joramun give you internal frostbite? Probably not, but it would be hilarious if magical horns ALWAYS killed their blowers.

Interesting... I assume Sam hasn't tried to sound the Horn of Chekhov which he found beyond the Wall yet, has he?

Interesting... I assume Sam hasn't tried to sound the Horn of Chekhov which he found beyond the Wall yet, has he?

I think he tried but it didn't work, I can't remember if it was cracked or just full of mud, but for some reason it wouldn't work.

I think he tried but it didn't work, I can't remember if it was cracked or just full of mud, but for some reason it wouldn't work.

Thanks, now that you mention the cracked bit, I was able to find the passage: "The warhorn he [Jon] had given to Sam. On closer examination the horn had proved cracked, and even after he had cleaned all the dirt out, Jon had been unable to get any sound from it." Probably better that way, it's probably to early to blow the Wall down (not to mention the potential risk to the blower).

Archived