Cersei's Plot

Prehistoric

Well, I'm a newbie so if there's anything I miss ( which is likely ) bear with me, sorry if this has been asked before. So I was wondering Cersei's plot to get Robert out of the way before he comes back from his hunt to be told of the incest by Ned. It seems that Cersei's plan i very random and based on too many factors. I mean get him drunk and then ? What if he falls asleep, what if his entourage takes him back to rest, what if he passes out, all non-lethal ends as far as Cersei's plan go. Why not something more concrete ? Poison that takes it's time, hell even some assassin or FM ( they got the money anyways ). My point is how could she say '' In the game of thrones you ....... blablabla '' to Eddards face when nothing was certain ?

Poison would've been too obvious. And then you'd have all the Robert-loyalist realm asking for answers. A FM would be expensive even for the Lannisters and the FM price varies with the victim's stauts. Assassinating a King would be an unmesured amount of credit and it was Tywin's gold still. Why waste all that if your son is already heir and there other far more cheap methods? Cersei knew Robert would be trying to fight the boar himself considering the crazy-fool he was for battles and him drunk would make this very hard for Robert to conquer.

And this:

Robert was a professional drinker, he doesn't just pass out.

Also, Cersei was not really that stupid. Not until her son's death.

P.S. Welcome to the forums! ;)

History is littered with 'hunting accidents' for kings, add in the spiked booze and Cersei was simply playing the odds.

Playing quite poor odds with her life and her children's lives on the line. It is a weird bit of ASOIAF I really want someone to ask GRRM about it so he can maybe explain the reasoning.

Cersei is.....eh, strategically challenged, well let's just say she isn't the brightest person out there .

long story short she got lucky, which brings to mind just how lucky she is i mean here's a list of the top of my head :

1-stannis and renly fighting each other instead of uniting

2-edmure not understanding the plan resulting in tywin turning back

3-sansa telling her the NED's plans

4-taena merryweather not getting caught by the high sparrow

5-qyburn probably the only maester in westeros who can make robert strong showing up at her door step ... and on and on it goes,yet despite all this she keeps amazing me with her ability to screw everything up.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

that Cersei sure is something

Cersei is.....eh, strategically challenged, well let's just say she isn't the brightest person out there .

long story short she got lucky, which brings to mind just how lucky she is i mean here's a list of the top of my head :

1-stannis and renly fighting each other instead of uniting

2-edmure not understanding the plan resulting in tywin turning back

3-sansa telling her the NED's plans

4-taena merryweather not getting caught by the high sparrow

5-qyburn probably the only maester in westeros who can make robert strong showing up at her door step ... and on and on it goes,yet despite all this she keeps amazing me with her ability to screw everything up.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

that Cersei sure is something

Actually, Cersei pre-King Joffrey wasn't that stupid at all.

Cersei rocks, crazy paranoid egocentric and in power, she makes the story interesting. But I think that winesack was all she could do to get him close to death. I doubt Pycelle, her nephew or anyone would agree to actually poison him. She did it in a way that, even now, no one (we neither) can say she murdered him. That's important too.

not really i know people tend to say and think that but what i believe is that we simply didn't get that much cersei pre king joffry and her role as queen was simply being Roberts sexual partner (no real power and no real responsibility) and when robert drops dead she becomes queen REGENT (REAL POWER REAL RESPONSIBILITY) and like a lot of people when she got the power she went all out with what she always wanted to do ( kill roberts bastards , put jamie as LC KG and the rest of that )

Hard to say to be honest. Even before Joffrey was king virtually all of her plans failed. She was exceptionally lucky to survive Jon Arryn and then even luckier to survive Ned.

I agree with the OP, her plan was very lucky to succeed. Even drunk Robert managed to kill the boar. With a bit more luck he would have either killed the boar or taken a less serious injury. Considering she was in serious trouble when Robert got back, she should be thanking the seven.

not really i know people tend to say and think that but what i believe is that we simply didn't get that much cersei pre king joffry and her role as queen was simply being Roberts sexual partner (no real power and no real responsibility) and when robert drops dead she becomes queen REGENT (REAL POWER REAL RESPONSIBILITY) and like a lot of people when she got the power she went all out with what she always wanted to do ( kill roberts bastards , put jamie as LC KG and the rest of that )

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Cersei Lannister manipulated Robert over and over again, she turned the entire court and even KL into a pro-Lannister and corrupt society. Not Tywin, Cersei did this. The reason why the Lannisters were so strong when Ned came to KL was because of her.

i'm not sure that cersei really intended for it to work the first time she tried it, given the fact she meets with ned after robert leaves for the hunt. If Lancel and Tyrek kept on giving him the wine, something was bound to go wrong in the long term, and its a lot more deniable than hiring an assassin, and cost effective to

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Cersei Lannister manipulated Robert over and over again, she turned the entire court and even KL into a pro-Lannister and corrupt society. Not Tywin, Cersei did this. The reason why the Lannisters were so strong when Ned came to KL was because of her.

seriously ?

i feel like we've been reading different books , and why all the heat ?

Playing quite poor odds with her life and her children's lives on the line. It is a weird bit of ASOIAF I really want someone to ask GRRM about it so he can maybe explain the reasoning.

Point is, Bob went on that Hunting trip before Ned told Cersei he knew about the incest. Cersei had probably planned such assassination attempts way before (remember the melee at the tourney where she almost provoked him into participating?) and was sure that at some point, one of them would work. She was just very very lucky that the assassination worked in the very moment she needed it the most...

seriously ?

i feel like we've been reading different books , and why all the heat ?

Not heated, mate, I just feel all you said was wrong, from my pov.

We probably have been reading different books, yes.

You are suggesting that Cersei was nothing but Robert's plaything when she clearly held a grip on him and was a large influence to his decisions and even in court. Example: Jaime Lannister as going to be Warden of the East instead of the title being awarded to the rightful person, the Lord of the Vale, this was a bad call in all sense of the word. Cersei also bought Janos Slynt and a few others. She made sure the Lannister presence was strong around Robert and look how well that worked when Robert died and Ned's outcome.

Archived