Any man who must say, ‘I am the king’, is no true king at all.

Shrave

So tl;dr version is:

Only King in the North was real, others were fake and pretenders. Sounds about right.

Yes, by this logic, Robb was the only true king during the Wot5K as he was the only one who didn't crown himself King.

Yes, by this logic, Robb was the only true king during the Wot5K as he was the only one who didn't crown himself King.

What about Mance then? Or Euron? They technically did not crown themselves either.

What about Mance then? Or Euron? They technically did not crown themselves either.

Robb was the only true king during the Wot5K as he was the only one who didn't crown himself King.

Euron and Mance weren't participants in that war, but yes the same can be applied to them.

Doesn't Catelyn at one point appreciate that Stannis is not hectoring her about titles during their meeting?

And does Stannis ever say, "Do that because I am king" in the way Joffrey and Aerys did? Because that's how the quote is meant to be understood: People who feel the need to constantly remind everyone around them about their title are doing so because they're desperately clinging to any way of exerting authority over others. And in my view, this doesn't apply nearly as good to Stannis as it did to Aerys, Joffrey and Viserys.

Archived