Why didn't Ned just blame Brandon?

The Dragon King

So Ned told everyone that Jon Snow was his bastard

Did he? Is there any proof Ned ever claimed Jon to be his son? As for Catelyn, Ned just told her that "He is my blood, and that is all you need to know". Everybody assumes Jon is Ned's bastard because he brought him up North after the war, but nobody dares to ask... :read:

Why did Ned look for him then?

Even if he is not the heir he complicates things, that's why the lannisters wanted them dead.

And that is why Jon couldn't be portrayed as Brandon's son

Legally a bastard son of Brandon could not inherit, it doesn't complicate things at all. Cat is still worried that there might be a Blackfyre-type situation with Jon's descendants. On that note, Brandon was never Lord of Winterfell while everyone recognizes Ned as the Lord, being more distanced from Ned puts Jon's descendants in a weaker position in that regard.

Did he? Is there any proof Ned ever claimed Jon to be his son? As for Catelyn, Ned just told her that "He is my blood, and that is all you need to know". Everybody assumes Jon is Ned's bastard because he brought him up North after the war, but nobody dares to ask... :read:

That's distinction without difference, Jon's situation is no different than if Ned had announced that it was his bastard son.

I think the answer has been provided up the thread, several times. It's absolutely dishonourable to "frame" someone else with what was Ned's burden and responsibility. Plus, if Lyanna asked him personally to take care of Jon, he would do it himself and not shift it on another even if he could.

If Howland Reed had agreed he would not have been framed. Sure, if Lyanna had Ned personally to raise Jon in Winterfell that is different.

Still, if R+L=J were true, neither Lyanna nor Ned could be sure that Jon wouldn't develop Targaryen features when growing up. And Targaryen features would have stood out in Winterfell. If Robert had known, he might have killed Ned and Jon. If Ned took that risk, the Stark words should change to 'Honor beyond stupid'.

Still, if R+L=J were true, neither Lyanna nor Ned could be sure that Jon wouldn't develop Targaryen features when growing up. And Targaryen features would have stood out in Winterfell. If Robert had known, he might have killed Ned and Jon. If Ned took that risk, the Stark words should change to 'Honor beyond stupid'.

If Jon was born dark-haired and grey-eyed, developing the Targ features was highly improbable. Plus, you have the whole detour to Starfall and the rumour of Ned's fling with Ashara, which would have covered the possibility as purple eyes or silver hair are Dayne traits, as well.

If Jon was Brandon's son he would be in line to inherit before Ned's children.

And yes he'd still be a bastard, but it's enough of a problem as it is that Cat worries about Jon taking the inheritance away from her children that in a Brandon's child scenario it would be worse.

As of AGoT if Jon was legitimized he'd still be behind Robb. If he was Brandon's and was legitimized he would technically be before Ned.

It would have raised more questions than it answered. For example, who is the mother? If Brandon's dead, are you going to just name some random woman and dishonor her? At the same time, there would be no reason not to tell who the mother was. Also, why did Ned come out of Dorne with Brandon's bastard?

It wouldn't be the first time a bastard has created trouble in the inheritance. It's one thing for Ned to say Jon is his bastard but he also has three other trueborn sons, and another to say that Brandon had one son, he is illegitimate but he will be raised as a Stark of Winterfell, yet we'll make sure he doesn't inherit anything. Less complicated this way.

Between Ned telling Jon that he would one day speak to him about his mother and the "almost letter" that he asked Varys about handling for him, it seems apparent that one day he was going to tell Jon.

He wasn't going to throw Brandon into the mix for many reasons. Ned took on that burden and I also think Wylla was willing and trustworthy and agreed to it too. She is key in this. She went right back to Dayne service and kept it up. Another reason the Daynes are constantly mentioned in snippets throughout the series and we are reminded, but we never see too much either. I like too how the name is used again with Wylla Manderley.

If Ned had claimed Jon as Brandon's bastard, there are some issues that could arise from this. The major one I see is some power hungry lord raising his banners in Brandon's bastards name. If he wins well Cat, and here children are most likely dead as well Ned. That is an issue that could have happened, and one that would make things a lot worst for the Starks. Also, Jon could have turned out like Brandon, and what his father's title. What then? A war for winterfall, and the question would be, will the Iron Throne get involve, and what happens if they do and Jon wins?

I didn't know Brandon was known as a lover....maybe passionate and hot-headed but...not a lover in the same vein as Robert Baratheon. I didn't think any of the Starks were womanizers, I mean Robb married a woman and risked destroying any chance he had being the real king because he slept with a woman and didn't want to dishonor her.

The point of making him Brandon's bastard isn't about Brandon's habits or manner, but the honor of a dead brother. No way Ned blames it on any one but Ned. One lie is as much as Ned honor would allow. That is if its a lie after all. Please don't attack me R+L=J pundits. Just saying if. Haha.

If Jon was born dark-haired and grey-eyed, developing the Targ features was highly improbable. Plus, you have the whole detour to Starfall and the rumour of Ned's fling with Ashara, which would have covered the possibility as purple eyes or silver hair are Dayne traits, as well.

How old do you think Jon was when the ToJ showdown took place? If you assume Lyanna died in childbed he can't be older than a month. Probably bald, anyway hair color can change as well as eye color at that age,

The detour to Starfall has other issues. Ned arrives with Howland Reed, a baby, Dawn and the red horse. That won't go unnoticed. Also, who fed and cared for the baby while Howland Reed and Ned tore down the ToJ and build seven cairns. The baby would have starved before they reached Starfall.

The point of making him Brandon's bastard isn't about Brandon's habits or manner, but the honor of a dead brother. No way Ned blames it on any one but Ned. One lie is as much as Ned honor would allow. That is if its a lie after all. Please don't attack me R+L=J pundits. Just saying if. Haha.

I was pointing out the ludicrousness of this scenario. If Ned said it's not mine, it's Brandon's baby a few red flags would be raised to say the least.

I think the obvious answer is that Ned didn't want anyone to ask questions about Jon, and it's considered rude to pry into the origins of a man's bastards. If Ned refuses to talk about it, people (including Cat) will assume that it is because his relationship with Jon's mother ended badly and it hurts him to think about her.

If Ned claims that Jon is Brandon's bastard though then he's got a LOT of questions to answer: Who is Jon's Mother? How did she meet Brandon? How did Ned happen to meet her? Is he sure that she was telling the truth? Where is she now? The more complicated a lie gets, the harder it is to keep. Ned isn't exactly Littlefinger or Tyrion either, so it'd only be a matter of time before someone, even if it's just Benjen, figured out that something wasn't quite right. Much better to say "He's my bastard" and leave it at that.

How old do you think Jon was when the ToJ showdown took place? If you assume Lyanna died in childbed he can't be older than a month. Probably bald, anyway hair color can change as well as eye color at that age,

The detour to Starfall has other issues. Ned arrives with Howland Reed, a baby, Dawn and the red horse. That won't go unnoticed. Also, who fed and cared for the baby while Howland Reed and Ned tore down the ToJ and build seven cairns. The baby would have starved before they reached Starfall.

Children are never entirely bald, you see the colour of hair, especially if it's dark. The colour can change, but from dark grey to purple is rather improbable.

And who says that they all went to Starfall en masse? It's not like the group cannot split.

As for the baby starving, that apparently had to be addressed, no matter where Ned was taking him, but the answer is there already: Wylla. First, she is apparently a part of the cover-up, as she claims to be Jon's mother; second, they found Ned holding Lyanna's dead body, i.e. at least one more person was present. It is highly dubious that the KG did all the cooking, washing and midwifing just on their own. The logical conclusion is that Wylla, originally from Starfall, was at ToJ for some time, and nursed Jon.

Children are never entirely bald, you see the colour of hair, especially if it's dark. The colour can change, but from dark grey to purple is rather improbable.

And who says that they all went to Starfall en masse? It's not like the group cannot split.

As for the baby starving, that apparently had to be addressed, no matter where Ned was taking him, but the answer is there already: Wylla. First, she is apparently a part of the cover-up, as she claims to be Jon's mother; second, they found Ned holding Lyanna's dead body, i.e. at least one more person was present. It is highly dubious that the KG did all the cooking, washing and midwifing just on their own. The logical conclusion is that Wylla, originally from Starfall, was at ToJ for some time, and nursed Jon.

I didn't grow hair until I was two years old. And I know a lot of bald babies. Sorry, but this argument is invalid.

As for Wylla being at the ToJ, that is of course possible, but not hinted at anywhere. And no one in Starfall would have noticed? :dunno:

As for the baby starving, that apparently had to be addressed, no matter where Ned was taking him, but the answer is there already: Wylla. First, she is apparently a part of the cover-up, as she claims to be Jon's mother; second,

they

found Ned holding Lyanna's dead body, i.e. at least one more person was present. It is highly dubious that the KG did all the cooking, washing and midwifing just on their own. The logical conclusion is that Wylla, originally from Starfall, was at ToJ for some time, and nursed Jon.

by Ygrain

I always believed this too. I like thinking too that when Ned goes to Starfall and returns Dawn and is received by Ashara that Wylla is there to back up too what exactly went down with Ned, Howland, and Arthur.

Also, I am taking liberties, but Wylla being there as Rhaegar's servant totally borrowed from his buddy Arthur because they are right there in Dorne works and assists the story.

Rhaegar and Lyanna are there: 1. they need domestic help 2. He may have to leave Lyanna, he does, and she needs someone to look after her and maybe even be a companion/someone to talk to, etc. 3. Midwifing, nursing Lyanna, nursing baby/baby care. The KG is many things but nannies/maids/female companionship they are not. She HAD to be there. Rhaegar can not use somebody that might go right back to Aerys. So his buddy Arthur helps him with this, there is a trusted servant from home, and they are in Dorne so home is not too far.

Now, Ned and all involved have nothing to worry about if Wylla had been with Lyanna for a long time. Nobody else can travel with Ned and nurse that baby for fear of talking about his identity. But to have a girl that maybe grew close or cared for Lyanna and baby Jon.... Ned's secret is gold, and that is what most likely happened. I could see Lyanna being very kind to the girl to, so the girl won't talk for many reasons:

1. They found someone decent and trustworthy to begin with.

2. The girl was loyal to the Arthur, Ashara and the Daynes anyway so she is helping them out ( we know Starfall is her home because she returns to nurse Edric, so she is still is good stead there and keeps her job and home. They also couldn't get some random woman from Dorne. If she was from Dorne and loyal to Elia and the Martells....Oh, Jesus then...

3. She firsthand knows that she must keep silent to help baby Jon live

4. She is doing it for Rhaegar and Lyanna too because she knew they were good eggs by working/being with them. If she was alone with Lyanna during pregnancy for awhile a bond of friendship was formed possibly.

5. If Wylla on her own feels that when Jon gets older he may a claimant to the throne or just a better life, if she heard any PTWP stuff or whatever, than keeping the secret is effortless for her because she wants to help guard it willingly til Jon grows.

All I think is that nobody, not even Ned, had to force or even beg this woman to be quiet. She was willing and Ned and the rest involved were fortunate for that.

Ned just had to perpetuate the lie and had the added burden of his wife, Cat, thinking other things about him.

Ned has Wylla wean Jon and go. So it is not in Cat's face and since he brought Wylla home, he lets Cat think it is Ashara, but he tells Robert the name is Wylla when they are alone in book 1.

Archived