which kingdoms are the seven?

Fightbringer

This may belong in the small questions thread but i'm unsure if any actually knows this for sure, as i dont think its ever clarified in the books (at least i cant remember) My question is this: Which of the Seven Kingdoms are actually counted as kingdoms, as there are eight kingdoms, not including the crownlands and dragonstone.

The only ones in the eight are the riverlands and dorne. Here's why

a ) The Riverlands wasnt actually a kingdom at the time of conquest, instead being under the control of the Ironborn, backed up by the TV show when it mentions 'making the eight' (admittedly this is not fully cannon)

b ) Dorne didnt become part of the seven kingdoms until later and it wasnt technically a 'kingdom' in the literal sense it is a princedom. Its possible the name of the Seven Kingdoms just stuck before Dorne was added and they didnt change it to accommodate the change. We never hear of it being called the six kingdoms up until then.

third option i guess is the iron islands and riverlands count as one together even though they have different lords paramount cos they were one kingdom at the time of conquest

North

vale

reach

westerlands

stormlands

iron islands

dorne

ETA Westeros is called the seven kingdoms because there are seven of them. The riverlands was never a kingdom, it was controlled by various other factions.

1. The North

2. The Vale

3. The Iron Islands

4. The Westerlands

5. The Reach

6. The Stormlands

7. Dorne

The Riverlands never had an unified separate monarch, with them otherwise being controlled by the Iron Kings or the Storm Kings until Aegon I and the rise of House Tully.

The North (Torrhen Stark)

The Iron Islands (Harren Greyjoy)

The Vale (Ronnel Arryn)

The Westerlands (Loren Lannister)

The Stormlands (Argilac Durrendon)

The Reach (Mern Gardener)

Dorne (Mariya Martell)

The Riverlands were held by the Iron Islands and the Crownlands was ruled by several petty kings, including the Darklyns, but was mainly used as a buffer zone for the wars between the Stormlands, The Iron Islands, and I think the Reach.

ETA Westeros is called the seven kingdoms because there are seven of them. The riverlands was never a kingdom, it was controlled by various other factions.

The "never" part is wrong. It's just the couple centuries immediately preceding the Conquest where it was under the Stormlords' or Ironborn control.

The number shifted a hundred times as well over the generations

I can see how this confuses people. The Targaryens called themselves "Kings of The Seven Kingdoms" even before Drone joined them. It was probably to show that they either wanted it or wont recognize it as anything other than a region under their rule.

Kingdom of the North

Kingdom of the Vale and Sky

Kingdom of the Rock

Kingdom of the Reach

Kingdom of the Stormlands

Kingdom of the Iron Islands

Are the official 6 Large Kingdoms that Aegon conquered.

The possible 7th could've been:

Kingdom of Duskendale 1st/2nd kingdom that was officially taken

Kingdom of the River altho it was taken 360 years before Aegon by Stormlords then Ironborn.

The North (Torrhen Stark)

The Iron Islands (Harren Greyjoy)

The Vale (Ronnel Arryn)

The Westerlands (Loren Lannister)

The Stormlands (Argilac Durrendon)

The Reach (Mern Gardener)

Dorne (Mariya Martell)

The Riverlands were held by the Iron Islands and the Crownlands was ruled by several petty kings, including the Darklyns, but was mainly used as a buffer zone for the wars between the Stormlands, The Iron Islands, and I think the Reach.

Harren the Black was a Hoare not a Greyjoy actually.

The "never" part is wrong. It's just the couple centuries immediately preceding the Conquest where it was under the Stormlords' or Ironborn control.

The number shifted a hundred times as well over the generations

i think it was house Mud that controlled it before house Hoare ?

It is North, Vale, Westerlands, Riverlands, Stormlands, Reach and Dorne. Riverlands were an occupied kingdom untill the Targaryens freed it. I don't believe people view the Iron Islands as the 7th kingdom as they don't play a part in the kingdom as all the others do, they are outcast and they are very small. But the naming shouldn't be viewed literally, seven is a magic number so they would just change the way of counting as fits the magic number. In reality, there really are 8.

i think it was house Mud that controlled it before house Hoare ?

they were the last first men kings of the riverlands i believe, i think its possible the riverlands had its own andal kings for a while, and i think its mentioned that various kingdoms controlled it over the generations

It is North, Vale, Westerlands, Riverlands, Stormlands, Reach and Dorne. Riverlands were an occupied kingdom untill the Targaryens freed it. I don't believe people view the Iron Islands as the 7th kingdom as they don't play a part in the kingdom as all the others do, they are outcast and they are very small. But the naming shouldn't be viewed literally, seven is a magic number so they would just change the way of counting as fits the magic number. In reality, there really are 8.

I was under the same impression. Seems like the consensus is different though :S

The Iron Islands are one of the Seven Kingdoms.* They controlled the Riverlands at the time of the conquest and before them it was controlled by the Storm Kings I believe. It wasn't an occupied kingdom, it was conquered land. The "Seven Kingdoms" no longer exist as they are now divided up into 9 regions.

*The only thing in the text that springs to mind that contradicts this is Joffrey getting a seven sided goblet with 7 sigils on it and he jokes about replacing the direwolf with the kraken. I think GRRM may be undecided on which of the regions he means by "Seven Kingdoms" to be honest.

The Riverlands were a kingdom ruled by House Mudd (remember King Tristifer?) until they were overtaken by the Storm Kings and the Iron Islanders (at various times). At the time of Aegon's Conquest, they were ruled by Harren the Black, King of the Iron Islands, who intended to rule his kingdom from Harrenhal but was roasted by dragons before he could do so.

1. Dorne

2. The Vale

3. The Westerlands

4. Iron Islands

5. Stormlands

6. The North

7. The Reach

The Riverlands was never a unified kingdom, but was ruled by the Iron Kings or Storm Kings up until Aegon's Landing and House Tully becoming the Paramounts.

Kingdom of the North

Kingom of Mountain and Vale

Kingdom of the Isles and Rivers

Kingdom of the Rock

Kingdom of the Reach

Kingdom of the Stormlands

Princedom of Dorne

They were the seven polities which Westeros was divided in at the time of Aegon's Conquest (the Riverlands were ruled by the Ironborn, and the Crownlands were divided between the Ironborn and the Stormlands). He created the expression (as the "Lord of the Seven Kingdoms" title) to claim rule over all Westeros (he didn't conquer Dorne, but he still claimed it).

Archived