Favorite "third tier" House?

joluoto

As the books go on we start to learn about Houses that are bannermen of bannermen. A thrid tier of Houses, mayhaps the lords with the smallest holdings in the Realm. There are House Locke that is sworn to the Dreadfort, House Stout that is sworn to Barrowton, several Houses sworn to Oldtown, we also have several Houses sworn to Runestone and to Harlaw, and many more.

My favorite of these Houses is House Tollet, sworn to the Royces of Runestone, because Dolorous Edd is a Tollet.

House Baelish was a third tier house. Not anymore. They (or rather he) is a major house with governance of both the Riverlands (in name at least) and the Vale (in practice but not in name).

Sorry I cannot answer the question. Does House Seaworth count? They are landless at present.

House Baelish was a third tier house. Not anymore. They (or rather he) is a major house with governance of both the Riverlands (in name at least) and the Vale (in practice but not in name).

Sorry I cannot answer the question. Does House Seaworth count? They are landless at present.

Was it?

I seem to recall that lordships have so many tiers that House Baelish could be a 4th or 5th or even smaller tier house.

According to something Martin said at least.

As the books go on we start to learn about Houses that are bannermen of bannermen. A thrid tier of Houses, mayhaps the lords with the smallest holdings in the Realm. There are House Locke that is sworn to the Dreadfort, House Stout that is sworn to Barrowton, several Houses sworn to Oldtown, we also have several Houses sworn to Runestone and to Harlaw, and many more.

My favorite of these Houses is House Tollet, sworn to the Royces of Runestone, because Dolorous Edd is a Tollet.

Lady Smallwood (whose husband is sworn to Lord Vance), is kind and intelligent (sending her daughter out of the war zone to a Motherhouse in Oldtown) and shows us how some of the nobility in the Riverlands are working hand in glove with the BWB. The BWB doesn't have many noble or knightly members, but just as much as the Smallfolk, they are the sea in which the BWB swims.

I think house Locke is an invention of the TV show. I don't remember anything like that in the books.

House Locke is a 2nd tier House from the southeastern part of the North. From the coastal stronghold of Oldcastle, I believe. So they aren't bannermen of the Boltons, as portrayed by the show. They held the Wolfsden for a century or more in the days before the Manderlys.

If anything, they appear to be allied to the Manderlys today, and most certainly not to the Boltons.

I do enjoy hapless one-armed Harwood Stout with his requisitioned hall/kitchen. I also recall some decidedly shady characters called Slate got bussed in to witness Lady Arya's wedding, they seemed funny. And the Haighs, Frey bannermen, give off the same endearingly small-minded, incompetent vibe. Ser Donnel got smashed by the Hound and can't even recognise him in disguise. Ser Leslyn schmoozes not very convincingly with Cat and gets his ear bitten off by the Greatjon. Etc.

In terms of anyone who's actually nice, yeah, Lady Smallwood takes it.

Define "tier". if we go by simply counting the amount of lords in the chain, many less significant houses would jump upwards because of administrative reasons (Crownlands houses are sworn directly to throne and I don't think it's fair to put them on par with the great houses)

Archived