Who will be regent after Kevan's death?

Mrs_Darcy

Jaime Lannister is now Tommens closest relative who is an authority figure, Who better to lead the realm than the commander of the Kings guard and the most powerful member of house Lannister. He is shown in a feast of crows that he does possess some political knowledge ( more than Cersei )

Yeah but she's also a suspect in a regicide. That's not exactly small-claims court.

I'm sure LF would work out a good plea bargain for her. Knock it down to criminal facilitation 2, she does 5 years probation in the Vale. Tommen's a soft touch.

Jaime Lannister is now Tommens closest relative who is an authority figure, Who better to lead the realm than the commander of the Kings guard and the most powerful member of house Lannister. He is shown in a feast of crows that he does possess some political knowledge ( more than Cersei )

True, and they can make Stannis Jaime's Hand. That would help end the war and bring the Stormlands and the North back into the king's peace.

Cersei will never be able to resume the regency. She has already been displaced as regent and the position isn't hereditary, anybody can be chosen. Besides, the Tyrells will not allow it, she just tried to have their daughter the Queen killed.

Regent isn't voted on. It's who's the person responsible for the young one, that would be the mother without a suitable male family member. Mace can't just take it. Cersie is his mom, plus former queen. As long as RS loses his fight she will take over, and it will lead to absolute chaos as she rains destruction over everything her family has built up. Get your popcorn ready, it's going to be a hell of a show!

Varys does not want Cersei as Regent, he wanted to prevent Kevan from uniting (large parts of) the Realm against Aegon.

It is very likely that the alliance between Houses Lannister and Tyrell is at an end when the corpses of Kevan and Pycelle are discovered.

If the legal process is followed despite the murders (that is, if the Tyrells and Cersei merely continue to mistrust each other behind the scenes) all power is in the hands of the Tyrells now. Mace is Hand of the King, he speaks with the King's Voice, and is thus the most powerful man in the kingdom now. At least as long Tommen does not come of age. He does not even need to seize the Regency. But who will oppose him if he calls a session of the Small Council and calls a vote on the matter? The sole Lannister crony left on the Small Council is Ser Harys Swyft and he was afraid of Mace even before Kevan was murdered. He would not oppose if he is asked to vote him to Lord Regent. Even if he dared to oppose Mace, he has only one vote, whereas Mace has his own vote and Randyll Tarly's vote.

Cersei has no longer a vote on the Council. And to pull off of a coup - like she did when Robert named Ned Lord Regent upon his death - she would have to have more men than the Tyrells (which she does not, especially as long as both the Tyrell armies hang out in KL), and an unsullied reputation. I can't see the Goldcloaks - or even her own men, the Redcloaks - fighting for her against overwhelming odds. They have just seen her naked on the streets!

By the way, Mace can be Hand of the King and Lord Regent of the Realm, that's no legal obstacle for him. Tywin intended to take the Regency from Cersei, and there was at least one Lord Regent/Hand of the King under the Targaryens.

Cersei's only option to seize power again would be to run amok (i.e. to try to kill Mace and Margaery before they try to kill her). She could use Ser Robert Strong to assassinate them. It should be no problem for to win her trial-by-battle with Ser Robert's help (if there will be such a trial), but it would be easily possible for Mace to accuse Cersei of the murder of Kevan and Pycelle.

Tommen will appoint Ser Pounce.

Beets will finally be outlawed, and the entire City Watch will be sent looking after the tom cat (Balerion) who terrorizes Tommen and his kittens.

Huzzah for justice finally being done!

Regent isn't voted on. It's who's the person responsible for the young one, that would be the mother without a suitable male family member. Mace can't just take it. Cersie is his mom, plus former queen. As long as RS loses his fight she will take over, and it will lead to absolute chaos as she rains destruction over everything her family has built up. Get your popcorn ready, it's going to be a hell of a show!

Bob made Ned regent with entire Baratheon and Lannister families alive. It is not a family thing.

Bob made Ned regent with entire Baratheon and Lannister families alive. It is not a family thing.

true, but no way Cersie allows Mace to take over without one hell of a fight. She's going to give it everything she has, and it's going to be amazing!

The Regency is given either in the King's last will or voted upon by the Small Council. Ned was appointed by Robert in his last will, and Ser Kevan was appointed by the Small Council (Pycelle and Ser Harys Swyft) after Cersei was arrested by the Faith.

The Regency has nothing to the with family or kinship. It's not about the guardianship of a minor (that could actually be done by Cersei even now) but about the governance of the Realm. And that's decided by the ruling body of the kingdom (i.e. the Small Council).

I'm sure LF would work out a good plea bargain for her. Knock it down to criminal facilitation 2, she does 5 years probation in the Vale. Tommen's a soft touch.

Ha - I think we're in the same profession.

True, and they can make Stannis Jaime's Hand. That would help end the war and bring the Stormlands and the North back into the king's peace.

Does that mean Jaime will get a new hand (lowercase) that is hard but brittle, and also snarkily hilarious?

That is true, but at the moment he is "missing in action" in the Riverlands. Additionally, I do not know, whether the LC of the kingsguard can be regent, too. That is a lot of responsability. From what I read in the books, Jaime is a good soldier, but no great politician and therefore he would have some problems dealing with the politics (crown's debt, dealing with the faith, placating the Tyrells).

I just think, that whoever becomes the new regent will be a lot worse than Kevan Lannister (which was the reason why Varys killed him. )

Its going to be interesting to see how Cersei does ANYTHING from her current position, and after her Uncle and lackey were just killed, in what appears to be another Tyrion Lannister murder (not to us - to KL and Cersei). I don't think she has much left to play, even if Robert Strong manages to free her, I don't see where she will get any backup from anyone besides Qyburn. Mace and Tarly are pretty formidable, and Margary is already married to Tommen, and even if Jaime does make it back to KL anytime soon (doubtful), it will not be in a capacity that is favorable to Cersei.

The Small Council belongs completely to Highgarden, the majority of the armed forces in KL belong to Highgarden.

Jaime could serve as Hand and Regent - if he wanted to, and if he was not missing in action. Should he ever return to KL, he'll come too late to save Tommen or anyone there. In my opinion, Jaime will end up joining Aegon and be the deciding factor to unmake Cersei's children and the claims by revealing the truth about the twincest.

The High Septon can't seize the Regency and the political power in KL right now. The Tyrells are way too strong, and the Faith Militant has way too few men in KL. But it's quite possible that the Faith and the Tyrells won't get along all that well if Mace now has King Tommen declare Margaery innocent instead of going along with this stupid trial idea. This could very well motivate the High Septon to declare for Aegon.

Varys does not want Cersei as Regent, he wanted to prevent Kevan from uniting (large parts of) the Realm against Aegon.

It is very likely that the alliance between Houses Lannister and Tyrell is at an end when the corpses of Kevan and Pycelle are discovered.

If the legal process is followed despite the murders (that is, if the Tyrells and Cersei merely continue to mistrust each other behind the scenes) all power is in the hands of the Tyrells now. Mace is Hand of the King, he speaks with the King's Voice, and is thus the most powerful man in the kingdom now. At least as long Tommen does not come of age. He does not even need to seize the Regency. But who will oppose him if he calls a session of the Small Council and calls a vote on the matter? The sole Lannister crony left on the Small Council is Ser Harys Swyft and he was afraid of Mace even before Kevan was murdered. He would not oppose if he is asked to vote him to Lord Regent. Even if he dared to oppose Mace, he has only one vote, whereas Mace has his own vote and Randyll Tarly's vote.

Cersei has no longer a vote on the Council. And to pull off of a coup - like she did when Robert named Ned Lord Regent upon his death - she would have to have more men than the Tyrells (which she does not, especially as long as both the Tyrell armies hang out in KL), and an unsullied reputation. I can't see the Goldcloaks - or even her own men, the Redcloaks - fighting for her against overwhelming odds. They have just seen her naked on the streets!

By the way, Mace can be Hand of the King and Lord Regent of the Realm, that's no legal obstacle for him. Tywin intended to take the Regency from Cersei, and there was at least one Lord Regent/Hand of the King under the Targaryens.

Cersei's only option to seize power again would be to run amok (i.e. to try to kill Mace and Margaery before they try to kill her). She could use Ser Robert Strong to assassinate them. It should be no problem for to win her trial-by-battle with Ser Robert's help (if there will be such a trial), but it would be easily possible for Mace to accuse Cersei of the murder of Kevan and Pycelle.

If you look at the possible replacement for Grand Maester Pycelle, the situation is even more dire for the Lannisters. When Tyrion wanted to replace Pycelle, he refrained from doing it, when he learned, that Mace Tyrell's uncle would be the next Grand Maester.

I do not think, that this has changed.

So the votes in the next small council would be (assuming, that the office of regent is filled by the Hand Mace Tyrell)

-1 vote for the Lannisters (Harys Swift, who is not too bright), since Kevan Lannister and Pycelle are dead and Jaime is MIA

-1 vote for the Dornish (Nymeria Sand, who probably hates the Lannisters a lot more than the Tyrells and will probably be enraged when she learns about "Ser Robert Strong"

-4 votes for the Tyrells (Mace Tyrell, Randyll Tarly, Paxter Redwyne and the new Grand Maester)

Archived