Top 4 POV Characters Stories?

TamingAemon

Honest question here: Why is that every poll you always asks us to pick 4 (why not 5? or 10? or 3?). Why is that 4 is always the magic number???

Well I for one can never stick to the given number mainly because I have too many favorites to decide. So here it goes and in no particular order:

1- Dorne: The characters alone may have few chapters, byt when you look at the whole story together its actually brilliant. Areo, Arianne, Quentyn, and even Arys' POV (Since he was in Dorne) were great. I think TWOW will take this storyline to a whole new level.

2- The Iron Islands: The same with Dorne: Together they make a brilliant storyline. The best thing Martin did was gives FOUR Greyjoy POV characters, and the worst thing he did was not giving us us more. Victarion and Asha are entertaining, Aeron is insightful (And entertaining in his own way), And I believe I dont have to say anything about Theon now, do I?

3- Catelyn: Probably Martins best written character. Her character stirs strong emotions, and her storyline is unique and very well done. It saddens that we cant see any of her POVs in the next books.

4- Tyrion: Another unique storyline. His story in the first three books was one of my favorites. Though he may have suffered in ADWD, I have faith that Martin will improve his story in the next few books.

5- Sansa: Probably the best character development in the series. Her story is among the ones that are mostly exposed to the political intrigue of the series, and thats one of my favorite aspects of ASOIAF.

6-Cersei: Entertaining. One of the funniest and most amusing POV characters in the series. With its fair share of political intrigue, Cerseis chapters are like being in a roller coaster you never want to get out of.

7- Barristan I just couldnt leave the character whose POVs made the most boring place in the story much, much more entertaining. The way he he handles Meereen after Danys flight is one of my favorite moments of the series, and is one of the highlights of ADWD.

Honorable mentions: Daenerys (Without Meereen), Jaime (Though still a scumbag), Eddard, Arya.

1) Arya has been a favorite of mine from the beginning. Her ACOK terrified me and I loved reading about the BWB. Her chapters show how devastating war is for the smallfolk. The FM fascinate me.

2) Bran isn't the most interesting character but his chapters give us the most information about the mythology and the ice magic.

3) Theon is the classic tragic trainwreck I can't look away from. I'm a horror fan and Ramsay provides that.

Sorry to break the rules but it's a 4 way tie for last spot:

4) Cersei is so much fun to hate. The Tyrells are my 2nd favorite house after the Starks and I love to read about how much they thwart and enrage her.

4) Getting to know Jaime is great. I love the redemption arc and the details of the last days of the Aerys regime.

4) Sansa gets better for me every time I read her chapters. Maegor's holdfast, snowcastle and only Cat are some of the most thrilling moments in the series.

4) I've loved to watch Jon go from an angsty teen with a chip on his shoulder to a leader (probably) destined for greatness. Also, Tormund.

How is anybody supposed to pick just four?

1) Arya - journey from a Lady of Winterfell, which she never really cared about, to Acolyte of the Faceless Men of Braavos, yes it was telegraphed, but in this series that doesn't mean much, and the journey has been quite lovely to read because her development has been top notch as a character. Arya also gave us an in depth view of the then version of the BWB, while Brienne shows us the now. We also get a far more in depth view of the Hound from her.

2) Ned's story - he was a bit naive and showed mercy at the wrong time, but seeing the voyage of an honourable man into a place without honour was pretty awesome. I was genuinely surprised when he lost his head, but it might be him losing his head that made me so interested in the series, certainly it was different than The Wheel of Time or Lord of the Rings, which was a nice change. It's more like the Silmarillion, which is my favourite book.

3) Tyrion - moving from the man he was to the man everyone thought he was, and relishing the role, along with his internal humour has been a lot of fun to read.

4) Melisandre - Only one chapter, but after having seen her first through Cressin's eyes, then Davos, then Jon's, and then seeing her own thoughts was somewhat illuminating, she very much reminds me of Moiraine from the Wheel of Time who was similarly mysterious, even in her own PoVs, and also frustrated with not being able to get the saviour of the World to trust her heh

1 Theon - Maybe the best arc in the series The reek chapter were the bestt in ADwD.

2 - Dany - Unlinke most of all, I enjoy her, Daario Noharis and Meeren arc. Love to see how a good little girl is loosing control over her kingdom

3 - U gotta love him, dont need to explain why I enjoy his chapter

4- Sansa _ hated her chapters in the first books, but she grew so much during the series, and now her arc is so great, that she made a spot for in my my list

Ps: Jaime and Cersei, in this order, have great chapters... U may hate the Lannisters, but u enjoy their chapters.

ps2: I love Dorne, all their characthers are great, Oberyn most of all

• 9 months later...

Catelyn-

Grieving mother when some assassin dude tries to kill her child, mind does 180, and sets out for KL. Meets with Ned, and conspires some shit there. Once, outside KL, encounters Tyrion and snatches his ass up after a baddass speech and quick thinking. Drags his ass to the Vale, not before surviving an attack from some mountain peeps,iirc. Is there too witness Tyrion TBC. Soon after heads out. meets with Robb, does some shit with WalderF and gets her son the Twins and their Bannermen. Best of all, she heads south to meet the Baratheons.

"My son is fighting a war, not playing at one" -Awesome line!

She is our eyes into the Renly and Stannis parlay which is one of my fav moments in the books, all the while wanting to bend them over her knee and spank the fuck out of them. Is our eyes into the shadow baby assassination, WOAH!. She then hiked up her skirts and kicked rocks dragging Brienne's stupid ass with her. Hoster Death, poor Cat :crying: . Everything that Happens with the KiTN arc is through her. Then RW, gets thoat slit... woah!

...Comes back.

Now she's hunting Freys, killing bitches and throwing 'em in ditches

Best pov in the books, hands down :commie:

Jon

arya

and Jaime

1. Theon/Reek

2. Cersei

3. Davos

4. Sansa

Honorable mention: Arya. Her chapters from aGoT to aSoS are the best arc of the series, and she's my ultimate favorite, but her chapters in aFfC and aDwD were a slight drop of quality for me. She shines when she's at the thick of things, not at the fringes

Jaime, Jon, and Davos have all been enjoyable PoV's because of how human they are. (Yes, even Jaime, all the time. One thing that struck me as odd is how quickly I rationalized his tossing Bran out a window. I didn't like him for it but I could understand his motives from a emotional or purely numerical point of view.)

1. Tyrion - Favorite character, best story, especially in aSoS.

2. Jaime - After his hand is cut, the character totally takes a different and interesting direction.

3. Theon/Reek - Mostly in aDwD.

4. Cersei - aFfC is definitely Cersei's book, and it's really fun and interesting to read about her road to insanity and paranoia.

1. Theon/Reek (His chapters in a Dance with Dragons are the most disturbing/amazing stuff I've ever read, quite heartbreaking at times)

2. Tyrion (He's just very intriguing, love him)

3. Arya (She goes through many changes, and it's very interesting to see how she develops as a character)

4. Eddard (mainly cus of the Tower of Joy flashbacks)

4. Bran (His dreams, 'nuff said)

4. Davos (Because of the rightful King of the Seven Kingdoms, King Stannis Baratheon)

Archived