Whose the best fighter in Westeros right now?

The Taxman

Well the topic is "Right now" Right now I don't think it's Barristan considering the fact that he isn't even in Westeros. Right now it would probably be Darkstar because not only is he a great fighter but also he is a threat. People fear the Darkstar and they should.

I would enjoy to see a fight between Hotah and Selmy; if we're going by the best fighter, and 'right now', a few in the GC may give Barristan a run for his money, as would someone who isn't honourable. Barristan is a very skilled knight, yes. Very good, especially considering his age. He says himself though, there are a lot of factors when fighting for real. Training only gets you so far. Before losing his hand, I'd have said Jaime. Because I do believe he was the best fighter in the series. Now? Hotah, Barristan, Darkstar ( think he's got something up his sleeve ) Brienne, Garlan, Bronn, Wun Wun and, for Ramsay is known to have a saveageness, if he has the warrior instincts Gregor had, then perhaps!

If GRRM is to be believed Darkstar is the best fighter in Westeros. He said Darkstar was up there with Sandor Clegane and a two handed Jaime. Further more if Darkstar is known as the most dangerous man in Dorne it's likely he was considered superior to Oberyn.

He's not a very well liked character so no one wants to acknowledge the authors obvious intent.

After Darksatar, Garlan would probably be next in the post ADWD Westeros.

If GRRM is to be believed Darkstar is the best fighter in Westeros. He said Darkstar was up there with Sandor Clegane and a two handed Jaime. Further more if Darkstar is known as the most dangerous man in Dorne it's likely he was considered superior to Oberyn.

He's not a very well liked character so no one wants to acknowledge the authors obvious intent.

After Darksatar, Garlan would probably be next in the post ADWD Westeros.

Do you have a link or something for this??

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Lyn Corbray. The guy led an attack on the dornish lines, broke them and personally killed Lewyn Martell, not to mention he has a Valyrian blade which greatly helps in combat. He is also described as the most dangerous man in the Vale.

TOP 8 in alphabetical order:

Aemon Targaryen

Arthur Dayne

Barristan Selmy

Cregan Stark

Daemon Blackfyre

Gregor Clegane

Jaime Lannister

Sandor Clegane

A few might be missing (Robert, Rhaegar, Fireball, Bittersteel...)

Heh. Didn't notice that it should be of people alive at the moment.

Garlan Tyrell, Darkstar, Areo Hotah,

Nobody seems to be mentioning Blackfish - remember that he was Jaime's idol. In terms of strength, it would be difficult to match the Greatjon, regardless of his captivity.

Blackfish is old. Also, he never was on the level of Barristan etc. so I don't think he's at the top.

Aemon says, Cregan was finest. So Cregan>Aemon

Cregan was the finest knight Aemon ever faced but Cregan lost. Being the finest knight Aemon ever faced doesn't make you better than Aemon (especially since Cregan lost) nor does it make him the best knight of the time, since he's only the best of the people Aemon had faced at the time.

proof? I don't remember Grrm saying that.

Not exactly the wuote you're asking for but it implies the same thing:

GRRM when asked who would win, Ned Stark or Boromir: "I think Boromir is probably more of a warrior than Ned was," the writer told MTV Geek. "Ned was more of a lord, a ruler, a diplomat, a general."

I find it funny that most people consider Gregor amongst the top, yet Oberyn completely out-fought/schooled him. Yes, (before anyone brings it up) Gregor ended up killing him, but, if Oberyn hadn't pushed for a confession he easily would of defeated Gregor,,, and in a way still did...

Oberyn cheated by using poison. Also, I don't think he'd win with a sword. The only reason he won was that he had a long a$$ spear, and he could just jump around Gregor with a 3-4 meter gap between. If he'd fought against someone like Jaime with a apear I think he'd lose, and Jaime with a sword would have serious trouble beating the Mountain. A spear just happens to be the exact weapon that's effective against him.

The main point: Oberyn had the necessary skill with a spear to beat the Mountain, but if they both faced people like Jaime & Barristan I'd say that the Mountain has a lot better odds of victory than Oberyn.

Bronn gets no love

Bronn's good but he's not in the same league as the others, especially if Jaime, Sandor etc. are still taken in to the count. See the link in my sig for a few polls with Bronn in them. Feel free to ask more if there's any interesting fights missing.

Cregab was the finest knight Aemon ever faced but Cregan lost. Being the finest knight Aemon ever faced doesn't make you better than Aemon (especially since Cregan lost) nor does it make him the best knight of the time, since he's only the best of the people Aemon had faced at the time.

Do you have proof that Aemon won? From the info ive seen all we know is they fought.

Since some people are doing "of all time" I'll join in:

Ser Arthur Dayne

Prince Aemon the Dragonknight

Cregan Stark

Daemon Blackfyre

Ser Barristan Selmy

Jaime Lannister

Why Cregan below Aemon? Is there proof Aemon won their duel?

Why Cregan below Aemon? Is there proof Aemon won their duel?

I'm not saying Cregan lost to Aemon. It's just we know more about Aemon than we do about Cregan. If it was said he'd beaten Aemon I would put Cregan above Aemon, but all we have is the quote that Aemon said he'd never faced a finer swordsman.

This could mean two things. Either Cregan did beat Aemon or Cregan almost beat Aemon and Aemon is saying he had never faced someone so good. A bit like in the movie Troy, where Achilles says, after his fight with Hector; after he's killed him, that he was the best man he's fought.

So it could be like that but Cregan wasn't killed. But I'm not saying he did win or not, it's just we don't know anything more about the fight.

I'm not saying Cregan lost to Aemon. It's just we know more about Aemon than we do about Cregan. If it was said he'd beaten Aemon I would put Cregan above Aemon, but all we have is the quote that Aemon said he'd never faced a finer swordsman.

This could mean two things. Either Cregan did beat Aemon or Cregan almost beat Aemon and Aemon is saying he had never faced someone so good. A bit like in the movie Troy, where Achilles says, after his fight with Hector; after he's killed him, that he was the best man he's fought.

So it could be like that but Cregan wasn't killed. But I'm not saying he did win or not, it's just we don't know anything more about the fight.

True i understand with the info we have Aemon would be the better warrior because we know more of his exploits. Id say they tie for my 2nd and Daemon Blackfyres top dog.

I know that a poster earlier said Cregan lost and we have no way of knowing that. Maybe it will be in the World of Ice and Fire.

True i understand with the info we have Aemon would be the better warrior because we know more of his exploits. Id say they tie for my 2nd and Daemon Blackfyres top dog.

I know that a poster earlier said Cregan lost and we have no way of knowing that. Maybe it will be in the World of Ice and Fire.

Yeah, I don't know why that poster assumed that Aemon beat Cregan. And I also hope that there'll be something about their fight in TWOIAF.

And as for Daemon being the best, I'll just say Ser Arthur's my top dog :D.

Yeah, I don't know why that poster assumed that Aemon beat Cregan. And I also hope that there'll be something about their fight in TWOIAF.

And as for Daemon being the best, I'll just say Ser Arthur my top dog :D.

Daemon Blackfyre vs The Sword of the Morning would be the greatest fight in ASOIAF history.

Daemon Blackfyre vs The Sword of the Morning would be the greatest fight in ASOIAF history.

Now that's a hard question. Who would win in a fight against Daemon Blackfyre and The Sword of the Morning?

They'd probably dance for well over an hour.

Now that's a hard question. Who would win in a fight against Daemon Blackfyre and The Sword of the Morning?

They'd probably dance for well over an hour.

Maybe they would ust both chop each others heads off at the same time or stab each other in the chest in some tragicly artistic manner.

Archived