Whose the best fighter in Westeros right now?

The Taxman

TOP 8 in alphabetical order:

Aemon Targaryen

Arthur Dayne

Barristan Selmy

Cregan Stark

Daemon Blackfyre

Gregor Clegane

Gwayne Corbray

Jaime Lannister

Sandor Clegane

A few might be missing (Robert, Rhaegar, Fireball, Bittersteel...)

all time ?

this is my allstar , probowl whatever you wanna call it team

1-Daemon Blackfyre

2-Aemon Targeryan

3-Cregan Stark

4-Arthur Dayne

5-Barristan Selmy

PS: this might get looked very soon (there are a lot of other threads with the same purpose active right now)

Why Cregan Stark below the Dragonknight, Aemon himself said Cregan was the greatest swordsman he ever faced assuming that means hes better than him.

I understand Daemon as the top spot.

Define "right now"?

I'd say Jaime Lannister (with both hands), Arthur Dayne, Robert Baratheon before he went to seed, Sandor Clegane, Loras Tyrell, Oberyn Martell

But by the end of Dance With Dragons most of these guys are dead, seriously wounded, retired or at least heavily handicapped. By the end of Dance i'd probably say.. Barristan Selmy, Brienne of Tarth, Darkstar, Brynden Tully, Jorah Mormont, Bronn, Jon Connington (?) , there's probably some decent Ironborn (do we actually know if Qarl the Maid is any good? and let's assume that Euron and Victarion are pretty handy in a fight.), Night's Watch (Grenn or Jon would be my pick) Wildlings(how about whatshisface the Magnar of Thenn?) and sellwords.

Ok, Barristan Selmy, Brienne of Tarth, Euron Greyjoy or Darkstar and maybe Bronn if he's been practicing.

all time ?

this is my allstar , probowl whatever you wanna call it team

1-Daemon Blackfyre

2-Aemon Targeryan

3-Cregan Stark

4-Arthur Dayne

5-Barristan Selmy

PS: this might get looked very soon (there are a lot of other threads with the same purpose active right now)

Aemon says, Cregan was finest. So Cregan>Aemon

Really think Ned is the most underrated with a sword, hope we had a scene a the TOJ to see how that one went out.

Considering the author said he was average, I have trouble understanding why people still think that.

Right now, Garlan Tyrell or Tumco Lho. At the start of the series Jaime. All time, Aemon the Dragonknight, Daemon Blackfyre, Arthur Dayne (all are top in my book) followed by Cregan Stark, Barristan Selmy and they are followed by Jaime Lannister.

Wait a minute -- you said 'right now' didn't you? And in Westeros? There are a lot of names being mentioned that are either dead right now (at the end of "A Dance with Dragons") or not in Westeros - an example of the latter being Barristan Selmy and Strong Belwas. They kick ass, but are on the wrong continent.

Sadly, a lot of the main contenders 'right now' aren't around anymore - Ned Stark, Robert Baratheon, Jaime Lannister, (still around but hors de combat) Ser Arthur Dayne, Gregor Clegane. We're not sure about Sandor, either whether he's alive and if so if he's in any condition to fight. Same goes for Ser Loras - is he as injured as reports say? I don't think so.

Areo Hotah is certainly in contention. I wouldn't want to go up against that longaxe of his. Strangely enough Brienne of Tarth has moved up into the top ranks, if only because so many of the elite are either dead or have lost their sword hand or.._______.

I'm going to agree with a few who've already posted. Ser Garlan Tyrell is one of if not THE most dangerous man in Westeros at present. We've already been led to believe that Loras is VERY good, and he admits that Garlan is the better swordsman. Loras is the better jouster, meaning you wouldn't want to face him if he was ahorse with a war lance.

The top-ticket heavyweight event would be between Ser Garlan Tyrell and Areo Hotah, IMnsHO.

I find it funny that most people consider Gregor amongst the top, yet Oberyn completely out-fought/schooled him. Yes, (before anyone brings it up) Gregor ended up killing him, but, if Oberyn hadn't pushed for a confession he easily would of defeated Gregor,,, and in a way still did...

Amongst the living I have to go with Ser Grandfather himself; Barristan Selmy. One handed Jaime would get destroyed (two handed is a different story). Sandor is probably the best 'all rounder' atm, considering his leg is no longer giving him trouble. Garlan Tyrell is also up there just based on Loras' opinion of him and how he trains against multiple opponents. War is never fair! (maybe that was Jon)

I think Victarion deserves a mention as well. Jorah also comes across as a more-than capable warrior, as does Mance. Darkstar, however, just hasn't enough credentials to be placed among these others IMO.

Barristan Selmy is still pretty good, but no longer as strong or quick as he used to be, and not in Westeros atm.

Jaime is skilled and talented, but his injury probably does for him.

Ser Robert Strong, living or not, must be considered up there, but if Qyburn has not found some way to proof him against poisons, he still has the weakness of Ser Gregor. If he is resistant to poisons, OTOH, he is almost unquestionably the most likely to win any given fight.

I would have to reread the material for Darkstar and Garlan to be sure, but I assume they're up there. I would give Areo Hotah high place as well. Some of the GC men, too, now that they qualify.

Barristan Selmy is still pretty good, but no longer as strong or quick as he used to be, and not in Westeros atm.

Jaime is skilled and talented, but his injury probably does for him.

Ser Robert Strong, living or not, must be considered up there, but if Qyburn has not found some way to proof him against poisons, he still has the weakness of Ser Gregor. If he is resistant to poisons, OTOH, he is almost unquestionably the most likely to win any given fight.

I would have to reread the material for Darkstar and Garlan to be sure, but I assume they're up there. I would give Areo Hotah high place as well. Some of the GC men, too, now that they qualify.

Forgot about Hotah, but at the same time, Arys Oakheart didn't do much to prevent his death... Hotah worth a mention, though.

The top-ticket heavyweight event would be between Ser Garlan Tyrell and Areo Hotah, IMnsHO.

Omg I would LOVE to read (and eventually see) that fight.

Actually we never could see that fight. Garlan doesn't exist in the show :(

And who knows if areo will either

Archived