Eddard saved Theon

I'm too lazy to look this up but didn't the Ironborn rebel twice?

Wasn't there something about Greyjoy's betraying the throne twice and then Robert was going to kill them all and then Ned stepped in with the thought of taking Theon? Or am I mixing something up?

I'm too lazy to look this up but didn't the Ironborn rebel twice?

Wasn't there something about Greyjoy's betraying the throne twice and then Robert was going to kill them all and then Ned stepped in with the thought of taking Theon? Or am I mixing something up?

Nope, Balon only rebelled a second time during ACOK thus after Ned and Robert's deaths.

Why would Robert want to kill Theon, as he was just a small boy?

All Robert wanted was for Balon to surrender and knell to him.

Giving away Theon would keep him in check.

Probably was no other easily available person to put in charge of the iron isles that could manage it.

I think Ned was a better teacher to Theon than Balon would have been buts that's not saying much.

Also I think it would have been a good idea to marry Sansa or Arya off to Theon because he would have strong ties to House Stark. But I also don't think Sansa or Arya would like the Iron Islands and would not like Pyke. So that wouldn't have worked.

I think Ned was a better teacher to Theon than Balon would have been buts that's not saying much.

Thinking about I would actually say that Stannis would have been the best choice. In how the future Lord Reaper of Pyke should likely be well trained in naval combat and Stannis is Robert's Master of Ships. Moreover, at that time Stannis still had no heirs(or at least only a newborn infant daughter) thus he could focus more on educating Theon then Ned who has four children already living with him at Winterfell.

Robert had an uncharacteristic hatred for Targ's because he thought that Rhaegar kidnapped, raped, and killed Lyanna. Otherwise, I think King Robert is pretty forgiving. Varys, Barristan Selmy, and many houses who fought for the Targs were pardoned.

But they didn't directly fight against him, they just stayed loyal to their superiors. They Greyjoys actually rebelled against him, I think that's the difference here, for example, another Ironborn family would have been forgiven, as they were following the Greyjoys out of loyalty, but the fact that the Greyjoys LED the rebellion, I don't think Robert would have forgiven... He was happy to accept a follower on his side because they would follow him, he knew the Targ's would never follow him, and I think he knew the Greyjoys would not as well, regardless of what was said.

"He rembered the angry words they had exchanged when Tywin Lannister had presented Robert with the corpses of Rhaegar's wife and children as a token of fealty. Ned had named that murder; Robert called it war" - Eddard, A Game of Thrones.

Notice how Robert doesn't call it 'Justice' or whatever, he calls it War, implying that this is how his victories in war will go...

I agree with the whole marrying Sansa off to Theon being a bit of a long shot, but what you've got to rember is that this was 15 or so years ago, a lot could have changed, and also I believe it was a back-up plan of Eddard's, keeping his options open, rather than a set in stone betrothal.

So the original post is that Robert decided to spare Balon or his three brothers who took up arms against him but instead take his only remaining 10 year old son (hours, a couple of days after his brothers have died) and kill him? Wow that would have really seen Balon accept rule under Robert.

Thank the gods nice old Ned was there to stop all those nasty non-Stark characters doing such evil deeds.

Sansa would absolutely hate life on the Iron Islands. She just doesn't have the personality for it.

Arya on the other hand would love being Ironborn. She has such a wild, spirited nature that would fit in really well with the culture of the Iron Islands and it's also a plus that she wants to be a warrior.

An ironborn husband would encourage her wildness.

She'd never marry Theon, but maybe Euron or Victarion might be suitable.

She'd never marry Theon, but maybe Euron or Victarion might be suitable.

Yeah, I doubt that wife-killing Vic or rapist/brother-molesting Euron would be all that suitable.

Nope.

Robert forgives easily, and I'm sure he was actually grateful to Balon for rebelling, it got him out of the boredom of ruling, even if only for a short time.

Eddard din't save Theon, he took him hostage.

Archived