Does Anyone Else Feel Disgusted When

I've always equated Robin with Dudley Dursley from Harry Potter. Of course you hate him, but the only reason he is the way he is, is because of his twat of a mother. He is a sickly boy who was always spoiled by his mother in everyway because he was the only boy that she didn't miscarry or was stillborn and he has a medical condition that she tries not to trigger into seisures by keeping him happy/calm. He knows he is the rightful Lord of the Eyrie, but all he was taught of Lordship he learned from his mother who wasn't a very good teacher or a fair Lady. Now, he no longer has a mother so he clings to Sansa because she's the only reliable female in his life. I think that he can eventually redeem himself as he grows up (after all in DoD he was only seven I think?) with Sansa to guide him. Although I do NOT want to see the two of them married (or him dead and her married to Harry the Heir).

Sweetrobin reminds me of my brother when he was babyish/young. He has Aspergers which made caring for him a huge pain in the butt when he was younger. He'd have dramatic hour long temper tantrums if the slightest thing went against his plans. In only took me a short period of time watching him to make me feel like I wanted throw myself out a window, and I did love him. He socially didn't know what was acceptable... at 6 years old, guests would be over and he would just randomly take off all his close and run around naked through the house. He'd always ask the most embarrassing questions in public... he would just go up to random strangers and start talking to them about embarrassing things... ones that make you wish you were dead. He wouldn't "shake" his whole body... but when he was excited or upset he does and still flaps his hands and arms uncontrollably.

After years of patience, love, therapy, and medication- by 4th grade is a mostly functional person.

Since I love my brother its hard to hate Sweet Robin... but if I was stuck in the Eyree with him and he had no medication I might have thrown myself off that mountain along time ago... (and brought Lysa with me).

I was an elementary school teacher for a number of years, so any time I see a poorly adjusted child, I'm more inclined to feel disgusted at their parents than I am at them. Lysa over-mothered Robin to an extreme degree, and while he's not too old to be corrected in his behavior/expectations, it would require a much more concentrated effort than I think Sansa is capable of or Littlefinger is willing to give (Sansa being barely a child herself and LF being a psychopath). As a result, if allowed to come into his title he would be a poor lord and the Vale would suffer for it, and the blame falls almost entirely on his mother (Jon Arryn may have been busy as Hand, but he should have paid more attention to his son and heir).

Sweetrobin reminds me of my brother when he was babyish/young. He has Aspergers which made caring for him a huge pain in the butt when he was younger. He'd have dramatic hour long temper tantrums if the slightest thing went against his plans. In only took me a short period of time watching him to make me feel like I wanted throw myself out a window, and I did love him. He socially didn't know what was acceptable... at 6 years old, guests would be over and he would just randomly take off all his close and run around naked through the house. He'd always ask the most embarrassing questions in public... he would just go up to random strangers and start talking to them about embarrassing things... ones that make you wish you were dead. He wouldn't "shake" his whole body... but when he was excited or upset he does and still flaps his hands and arms uncontrollably.

After years of patience, love, therapy, and medication- by 4th grade is a mostly functional person.

Since I love my brother its hard to hate Sweet Robin... but if I was stuck in the Eyree with him and he had no medication I might have thrown myself off that mountain along time ago... (and brought Lysa with me).

I had a similar experience growing up with my autistic bother. He used to hit me, throw tantrums, was an absurdly picky eater and would terrifyingly smash his head against the floor. With good parenting, special ed and child psychologists he grew into a fantastic adult. It's hard to feel too much disgust or dislike of Sweetrobin, as annoying as he is.

Sadly, there is no help for kids like this in Westeros. He won't be able to grow up into a functional adult. He will killed by LF, die from a seizure or become a puppet.

I have a nephew who is the same.

As to the OP, I'm not disgusted by Sweetrobin, I mostly feel bad for him. His parent's are dead and he's left alone in the world. His regent is a man who doesn't care about him and last we saw, all but announced plans to kill him.

I had a similar experience growing up with my autistic bother. He used to hit me, throw tantrums, was an absurdly picky eater and would terrifyingly smash his head against the floor. With good parenting, special ed and child psychologists he grew into a fantastic adult. It's hard to feel too much disgust or dislike of Sweetrobin, as annoying as he is.

Sadly, there is no help for kids like this in Westeros. He won't be able to grow up into a functional adult. He will killed by LF, die from a seizure or become a puppet.

I dont it will be LF or a siezure to do him in, but his 'medicine'. Which sounds like it may have some mercury or other heavy metal in it.

Lysa and Sweetrobin chapters always make me feel such conflicting things. On one hand, they are the two most annoying people ever to exist, but on the other, they've both been put in some really crappy positions.

I second this.

Why do you say that? Not doubting, just curious.

I don't have my books to find the quotes, but in Feast in the Alayne chapters, the description of what would happen if he had too much medicine sounded like heavy metal poisoning.

Thi sorta reminds me of something my lil bro did when he was little. Me my mom and him as well as a couple of cousins went to go see Harry Potter and the Sorcers Stone and he was like 3 or 4 at the time and my mom made him sit of her lap. Well bro knew how to make her let go, he just shouted at the top of his lungs in a crowded movie theater, " YOU ARE HURTING MY PENIS!" It was the funniest thing ever.

Archived