King Robert the Good.

Varys "claims" to be acting for the good of the realm. He has placed (f)Aegon out of harms way and has schooled him in leadership his whole life.

However if Robert had fulfilled his potential and been an excellent King ruling fairly,enabling prosperity etc would Varys have done away with Jon Con et al?

Depends on what Varys's true motivation is.

1) The good of the realm, as he claims: Then sure.

2) Power for him and maybe Illyrio: Then no way.

3) A Blackfyre restoration: Then no way.

My money is on 3, maybe 2. So I expect he'd have gone with a variant of the Jon Con & Young Griff plan no matter how great Robert would have been.

Given Varys' conversation with Illyrio, it seems that replacing Robert had been on the cards for some time before Robert's death, but we don't know if things would have turned out differently had Robert been a better king. Having said that, given the theories and evidence around (f)/Aegon's identity and the lack of altruism throughout the series, I would say that Varys has ulterior motives, there's more to his plan than just having a good king on the throne, I suspect.

Depends if we take what Varys has to say at face value. He could have been of the opinion that only a Targ will ever hold the realm together, he could have decided to cut the original plan loose if Robert turned out to be a good king, he could be lying about his motivations and have some other reason to want Aegon back on the throne...we know so little about Varys' end game or his thought process we can only speculate.

Why is everybody so insistent that Aegon VI is actually faegon? And Varys is a shady one, I wouldn't chalk anything up to his benevolence.

I guess it has to do (for me) with how breezily he was introduced and how everyone more or less accepted his claim despite him having no real proof other than the pisswater prince story. It just seems convenient that, with their first real Targaryen heir pinned in Slaver's Bay, that another one just magically pops out of nowhere to rescue the Varys/Illyrio conspiracy.

Aegon definitely could be real but the way he was introduced encourages doubts.

Why is everybody so insistent that Aegon VI is actually faegon?

You probably need to read through a few of the Aegon/(f)Aegon threads to find the answers you want, but the short answer is that the only evidence that he is Aegon Targaryen is the word of a few people, while there are a number of things that foreshadow a Blackfyre appearance, (red or black a dragon is still a dragon, for example.) But this belongs in an Aegon thread, not this thread. :)

Varys basically revealed that he wasn't for the good of the realm when he killed Kevan because he was doing a good job at gluing the realm back together. So I still say he would have tried to get rid of any king that sat the throne besides Aegon.

Why is everybody so insistent that Aegon VI is actually faegon? And Varys is a shady one, I wouldn't chalk anything up to his benevolence.

Because there are about a million very questionable circumstances in his story. Furthermore, Aegon being fake explains the motivation of Varys and Illyrio to involve themselves in Westerosi politics - which never had a satisfying explanation before.

Why is everybody so insistent that Aegon VI is actually faegon?

Because there are just too many indications in that direction. How would Varys know that Aegon will be killed in a way that completely obliterates his face? How come the prophecy shows a fake dragon as one of the lies Dany is supposed to uncover? Why else is the Inn of the Crossroads story included, which describes a black dragon being thrown into the sea to return years later appearing red (because of a thin cover of rust)? How come Illyrio says that the Golden Company broke its contract for Aegon because of a contract "writ in blood"? I wouldn't call it a sure thing, but it appears about as sure as a thing can get without being called an outright fact.

Depends on what Varys's true motivation is.

1) The good of the realm, as he claims: Then sure.

2) Power for him and maybe Illyrio: Then no way.

3) A Blackfyre restoration: Then no way.

My money is on 3, maybe 2. So I expect he'd have gone with a variant of the Jon Con & Young Griff plan no matter how great Robert would have been.

During his conversation with Kevan, Varys seemed to give more value to Aegon's education and knowledge of commoners than to his lineage. That 's why I think he is not interested in a Targ or Blackfyre restoration in itself, and that his "for the good of the realm" idea may not be a lie.

Archived