Anyone else wants Jon dead?

Wayward Wolf

Certainly you could craft a good story coming from Jon dying (chaos on the wall, Stannis being in a bad spot, etc), it basically neuters so much of the story's promise. Ned's fever dreams, Dany's vision, whatever Rhaegar was planning, all of it becomes moot. This isn't Red Wedding shocking, this isn't "It was all a dream" Newhart shocking, this would be approaching Fonzi-shark moment. An unjon would be even worse. Let him live and just have bad wounds. Corny cliffhanger, but better than the alternatives.

I agree with this. He's taken stab wounds but none being necessarily fatal. My personal theory is that someone let ghost out, probably Mel. There's a significance to Jon calling out for ghost much as Robb called out for grey wind. For Jon however I think ghost will show up.

I think Jon going into a sort of coma would be awesome, particularly if he has some sort of interactions with Robb and Ned (not real ones but as part of his subconcious).

Again, in my opinion of course, there's so much for Jon to do and contribute to the story.

New Lord Commander = new rules.

The Watch may stay friendly with the wildlings, they may be not. They may remain close to Stanniss's Queen, they may attack from Melisandre to Shireen. They may be attacked by Ramsay themselves or they may just die out there in the cold. Just to name a few.

And the New Lord Commander will command what?

The same lot as Jon and Mormont did.

The Watch was less than a 1000 before the Others started gathering rangers for their army, the wildlings escaped South of the Wall because of it. This is it: the last line of defense.

They lose the Wall and may as well lose the Kingdoms, this is more important than Jon or Stannis or the Night's Watch itself.

I don't want him dead because he seems to be the only one that understands the oaths of the Night's Watch to the greatest degree and that the wildlings need to be protected along with the realms of men. That said, his choice to march on Ramsay was a terribly impulsive one that went against what I thought was reasonably great leadership as a commander up until that point :I

If Jon would die though, it'd be a sad end to a plotline about self discovery and growth, but more so I'd weep for the realms of men being protected without him.

Selfishly I wouldn't like it because he is one of my favorite characters, although objectively it would be quite an interesting twist.

It's hard for me to see him as being permanently dead if for no other reason because of the motive for the attack on him. He gets stabbed because Bowen Marsh (?) and some other Crows don't like the way he's doing things? There's really nothing more you can do for that story if he really is dead. It seems like it's a bit too anti-climatic a motive for permanently killing one of the main POV characters.

No he gets stabbed for being a deserter. The punishment for deserting the NW is death.

What if Shireen sits on the throne?

Well we know next to nothing about her atm, But nah idc for her much due to that.. I wouldn't burn my books but i'd be severely let down by the ending and now care to discuss ASOIAF anymore

Well, it would be the most useless twist ever, since it does not solve anything and does not change anything for any character.

I might as well rip all Jon's chapters from my books since they would as pointless as nipples on breastblate.

Jon's death would bring about the fall of the Night's Watch and would allow the Others an easy way in.

This is not "pointless" and "without any consequences", this would be as big as the birth of the dragons.

Jon is turning into a character that is going in a direction I'm not all too pleased about. I like the underdog and the fact he was a bastard that was making his name through merit rather than name made him very likeable out of all the other POVs. Then all of a sudden people are convinced he will be the messiah of Westeros (PTWP, AA etc.). I liked the fact he possibly had a mother of lowborn or low-rank lineage, now there's a possiblity his father is some sort of god-worshiped hero. It's like Jon is a fairy tale hero and his future bride - who is almost unanimously decided to be Danerys by board fans - is a fairy tale princess. Do all these fans really think this is acceptable?

Jon's death would bring about the fall of the Night's Watch and would allow the Others an easy way in.

This is not "pointless" and "without any consequences", this would be as big as the birth of the dragons.

Personally, I don't see how do we enter the last part of the story without the Others crossing the Wall. As much as I hate it, it just has to happen.

Jon is turning into a character that is going in a direction I'm not all too pleased about. I like the underdog and the fact he was a bastard that was making his name through merit rather than name made him very likeable out of all the other POVs. Then all of a sudden people are convinced he will be the messiah of Westeros (PTWP, AA etc.). I liked the fact he possibly had a mother of lowborn or low-rank lineage, now there's a possiblity his father is some sort of god-worshiped hero. It's like Jon is a fairy tale hero and his future bride - who is almost unanimously decided to be Danerys by board fans - is a fairy tale princess. Do all these fans really think this is acceptable?

Here here! The fact remains we wont know until the WOW comes out and not a moment before. PS The amount of theories ive read on this board on various ways the story could go has me scared now that im gonna read this next book and be underwhelmed due to my imagination being filled with all these different seemingly both predictable & unpredictable storylines. "Curiosity killed the cat"

Sadly, yes. Way too many fans say they love the unpredictability of GRRM, but still ultimately expect and want a cliche ending with Jon being the hero who saves the world and is the legitimate son of Rhaegar and is Tptwp so ends up on the IT at the end.

Personally, that would be the worst ending.

Even if R +L = J, it would be SO much more fitting if Rhaegar and Lyanna weren't married and Jon is still a bastard with no claim no the throne. Jon being of illegitimate birth has been a prominent feature of his character. It would be much better for Jon to do something to show people in Westeros that whether your parents were married at your birth don't mean shit in terms of your value as a person than having him being true born and perpetuating the ridiculous notion that legitimacy of birth even matters.

I agree with this. He's taken stab wounds but none being necessarily fatal. My personal theory is that someone let ghost out, probably Mel. There's a significance to Jon calling out for ghost much as Robb called out for grey wind. For Jon however I think ghost will show up.

I think Jon going into a sort of coma would be awesome, particularly if he has some sort of interactions with Robb and Ned (not real ones but as part of his subconcious).

Again, in my opinion of course, there's so much for Jon to do and contribute to the story.

:agree: I think he and Bran will communicate while Jon is unconscious. Like the dream about Mance's camp in ACOK. Three or four stab wounds would only be fatal if they pierced arteries or went right into the heart. He's obviously lost a fair amount of blood, but dead? Nope. Also, wanting Jon to still be alive and to have his parentage be important (as GRRM said it would be) is not the same as wanting a fairy tale ending. I expect GRRM will provide a twist on the secret royalty with a destiny trope just as he has done with a number of other tropes. Ned's death and the RW were both shocking, but both served a purpose other than shock. Jon being dead would be a cheap twist for no reason that leaves Jon's arc unconcluded.

I'm sick of the word "trope" but don't know what else to use.

Him dying would be, actually, the best thing for the story. Marsh would start something with the Wildings, creating a civil war and without Jon's clear, understanding, the Others have a perfect chance to remove the wall as an obstacle. If he is still alive, I don't see how the Others get through and he doesn't die anyway... their oath is to defend the realm, if the wall breaks down, they all die anyhow, or they flee; to be executed.

Why does Jon have to die for the Others to get past the wall? The magic works as long as the wall stands and the NW remains true. We already had Mormont's assassination. Now with Jon's stabbing the NW will be in complete chaos, even if he is still alive.

Also, where is the foreshadowing for the death of Jon? With the RW there were clues everywhere in ACOK and the first half of ASOS. The clues about Jon's arc have all had to do with R + L. GRRM said Jon's parentage is important. If he was dead, it wouldn't matter anymore.

The hints are that Jon will survive the stabbing. "Kill the boy and let the man be born." Notice the reference to birth. This hints at the AAR prophecy and it suggests that when Jon awakens he will be a radically different, hopefully somewhat darker person.

The fact is, he denied the North. His gods are the Old Gods, not anything to do with AAR. Denying the North ( Not listening to his Direwolf, as Robb didn't with Grey Wind ) is part of the reason it happened, imo. I am not sold on him being dead, or alive, anything is possible. But I find it interesting that you believe even if Jon lives, he won't die after? He takes his vows seriously and dying in an attempt to stop the Others going further south is something he'd do. He'd be dead either way.

Archived