Are you expecting a happy ending to ASoIaF?

crosser

Hi all,

Really new here; finished all 4 books in the span of the last 3 months. Completely addicted and love them to death.

With Martin's tendency to kill the good and bad characters alike, are you expecting a 'happy' ending at the conclusion of the series. I'm hoping he does the fans homage and leaves us feeling nice and tingly inside, but I can't look past the chance that he does the opposite.

Perhaps he will end the series only to pick it up again as part of a new series set in the future.

GRRM has said the ending will be bittersweet.

Considering the other things Martin has said - namely that some characters not only take a life on their own but live or die by these choices - I would say that even he would have difficulty in telling you just how bitter or sweet..

Personaly, as long as Tyrion lives, I'll be a happy bunny.. or was it direwolf?

A "dream" does not necessarily mean a reality. They are still hoping when the last book comes.

Agreed, as with your last point Jon T.

So if you think Tyrion dies, who else out of the three you listed will be lying 6ft under?

My money is on Dany which, I suppose, fits in nicely with your hopes...

I'm guessing Tyrion will die. The kinslayer is accursed. And one of the other principal characters (Dany, Jon, Bran) to make it bittersweet.

Not only do I think that one of those principal characters will die, but I also suspect that at least one principal antagonist will end up not getting what he/she deserves.

basic same idea, I hope jon lives, but I think hes gonna die- can't say why, don't even know if GRRM knows, but i think he will. If he lives though, YAY

like, at the end of SOS, I was jumping for joy about Jon....and about Lysa Arryn

never liked her

Is it lysa? Im tired, and dont have the book with me, i thought it started with an l

Personally, I don't think Jon will die. I'm not saying that because I particularly like his character (I'm pretty much indifferent to him), but I've always liked to entertain the idea that he will die an old man, Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, staying true to his vows even though he had the opportunity to do much more (this is seen with him giving up the possibility of ruling Winterfell as Jon Stark).

I do think Dany will end up dead, mostly because Martin has said that the person who ends up on the Iron Throne will be somebody no one expected, and Dany's the obvious choice here. I also doubt that she'll willingly let someone else have the Throne that she's sought after for so long and threw so much. This only leaves the possibility of death!!! I'm guessing it'll happen when fighting the Others. First person who's ever said that, I know :P

- Lannistark

When did he say that? :unsure:

If that's true then i think the Iron Throne will go to ......... Theon :mellow:

I didn't hear that either, but ya know, I don't think Dany is all that obvious. She has the force and the claim, but I just was not expecting her for the throne. Even if she doesn't get the throne though, it doesn't mean she'll die...

No way it's going to get a storybook happy ending. That's not how the rest of the series has been, and I see no reason to expect that the ending will be different.

The way I see it is that lots of characters will die. Probably a lot of popular characters will die. But in the end, things are right again in Westeros as a whole. Either the rightful ruler will be restored to the Iron Throne, or else a just ruler will take the throne. Either way, balance is restored to the Seven Kingdoms, though at great cost.

As for which characters die and which live? I don't even want to guess, I kind of suck at predicting that. :P

Definitely a happy ending. The Others defeated and hopefully destroyed and perhaps the seasons fixed. Maybe the dragons have to go together with the Others and the weird seasons. I wouldn't be surprised if the three were somehow connected. The throne could go to Dany or Jon. Or Aegon pops up to take it...

GRRM's being ready to kill major characters is much overrated. What he did was fool the reader into thinking Ned Stark was the hero of the story, then kill him. After that the only POV character killed was Cat, and she even came back though not as a POV). He might kill Sansa (that's quite likely, actually) and Arya, but not Bran, Dany, and Jon. Not before the end, that is.

Agreed, as with your last point Jon T.

So if you think Tyrion dies, who else out of the three you listed will be lying 6ft under?

My money is on Dany which, I suppose, fits in nicely with your hopes...

I actually think it will be Jon that dies. He seems like the doomed hero to me. Maybe as punishment for giving up the Night's Watch and taking the throne.

Archived