Are you expecting a happy ending to ASoIaF?

crosser

Well, in all honesty, I cannot see very many people surviving happily, let alone surviving. So, because I have nothing better to do right now, I'm going to examine it character by character and house by house.

House Baratheon: In general, House Baratheon is a very fast sinking ship. If they retained the power they once had, it would be the most surprising thing in the entire series.

Well, in all honesty, I cannot see very many people surviving happily, let alone surviving. So, because I have nothing better to do right now, I'm going to examine it character by character and house by house.

House Baratheon: In general, House Baratheon is a very fast sinking ship. If they retained the power they once had, it would be the most surprising thing in the entire series.

Yeah, House Baratheon is in almost as bad a state as House Stark (as that sign in AGOT proved). The only Baratheon heir is Princess Shireen, unless one of Robert's bastards are legitimized. And if neither Gendry nor Edric or any of their brothers are legitimized, then Shireen will be married into another Great House and the Baratheon line will end.

My Next Observations: House Stark, House Lannister

The Starks, while most certainly in trouble, will likely return somehow...in fact, I think it's a possibility (not the most likely, albeit) that Bran Stark may sit on the Iron Throne and Rickon will be Lord Paramount and Warden of the North. I can't see Arya dying, but I do believe she will not be reunited with her family. I can see Sansa dying, mostly because of poor Lady...

House Lannister: This is where the sweet part of the bitter sweet ending will come in...Cersei is going to die, but not yet. I want to wait until the end to see her death...either Jaime or Tyrion will kill her...possibly Jaime. Jaime is going to die...I hate to say it, but he will die defending Brienne...somehow. If I'm right, Tyrion will become Bran's hand (see my upcoming topic-At the End of the Song). I think that Myrcella will be spared, but Tommen will not (unless he ends up wearing a golden veil (a.ka. shroud). Myrcella will become the First Lady Paramount, excluding people of Dorne, and will rule Casterly Rock.

Returning to House Baratheon, however, I think that Shireen will become Lady of Dragonstone and Edric Storm Lord of Storm's.

... I can't see Arya dying, but I do believe she will not be reunited with her family.

I think I recall George mentioning somewhere that Parris threatened him with a lifetime of sleeping on the couch is Arya died, so I think she is safe. (Does anyone else remember this?)

Other than that, my bets are a Targ on the Throne, Bran the (re)Builder of Winterfell and The Wall, at least one of Dany and Jon dying, and the Others being driven back but not destroyed.

I'm surprised at those that feel that Dany is going to die. To me, it's been telegraphed since the very beginning that she will return and clean up the mess that is the kingdom after everyone has killed everyone else off -- bringing her dragons with her, and in essence starting over again (history repeating itself) with her line -- except she will have learned through her travels how to be a real ruler.

It's pretty much telegraphed that she will return with her host and be some sort of pseudo-savior/conquerer, no doubt fighting the Other's with her dragons. But GRRM has a habit of destroying expectations of characters who think they're owed a power, glory, and a throne by birthright. (See the Greyjoy kid who thought the north was his by right until he got smacked around by his big sister and deposed, more or less). And considering his fatalist streak, it's not hard to envision her dying in some depserate, heroic effort to stop the invaders of Westeros. Obviously she's been given too many pages, while not being in an any of the Westeros action, for her not to have a major role in future events. I just hope one of those roles involves a painful, excrutiating death. I'd prefer a meaningless one, but that's not likely.

It is concievable that she returns a conquerer, saves Westeros, and sits on the Iron Throne ruling all of her subjects wisely and brings peace/prosperity to the land. Which would result in fever and vomiting for me, burning of all the Martin books I own, and a lawsuit for intentional infliction of emotional distress against the man himself.

Seriously, if the next book consisted of 2500 pages of nothing but Brienne walking and Sam whining, but the last page had Dany stabbed to death by some random mugger, some worthless, meaningless 'tragedy'...I'd hail it as the greatest novel ever written.

It is concievable that she returns a conquerer, saves Westeros, and sits on the Iron Throne ruling all of her subjects wisely and brings peace/prosperity to the land. Which would result in fever and vomiting for me, burning of all the Martin books I own, and a lawsuit for intentional infliction of emotional distress against the man himself.

What's the point in making that happen? I don't think there's any reason to just make Dany's story retread that of Aegon the Conqueror. It would be terribly boring if Dany simply landed at King's Landing with her three dragons, as her ancestor did 300+ years ago, and then started making all the self-proclaimed kings bend their knees to her. I don't think she's destined to be a queen.

Actually I'd like to see the Others win. This would keep anyone from ever trying to continue the series or write in the same setting again after GRRM passes away. You know someone will try.

It would also serve as the ultimate lesson. So far their threat has been brushed off by the "nobles" to the south as they consider it nothing but tales to scare children while they war with each other. The Others winning would be a big ole "Stop fighting each other and face the real problems of the world together or else" theme that applies to our world.

I'd like to see Dany sit the throne at least once. Maybe she'll take it and right about then the threat from the North will be fully recognized and she'll mobilize and head that way never to return (dies in the battle).

She'll have Tyrion in her court by then helping with what he learned of dragons in that book he read in GoT and when they reach the ragtag forces at the shattered Wall including what's left of the Night's Watch he'll introduce her to Jon Snow. Instant attraction, blah blah blah. They all are swept under the tide of the Others in a battle that will probably include some ultimate betrayal from a human that costs them the potential victory.

If GRRM truly said that the person who finally sits upon the Iron Throne is someone no one would expect, I predict it'll be the leader of the Others that sits upon it in mockery of those they just destroyed. The series will end with a desciption of that Other's laughter echoing in the throne room.

• 9 months later...

This thread is ancient, but what the hay, im new and i'll put in my two cents.

An ending where the Others win would be totally awesome but it aint gonna happen, good will triumph. However the reason that i and so many others love asoiaf is that there will be a huge price to pay for victory, people will die and they will not ever come back. There can be much speculation as to who those people might be hence all the prior posting, but for me the death of tyrion at any point is the death of the series. this to me would signal that no other novels could be published with the same crew of characters, kind of like how when wash dies in serenity you know that there can be no more firefly. The heroes most likely to be the stuff of legends, jon, dany, bran, are also those most likely to bite the big one too. i cant wait... well yes i can, adwd first, rest of the series later, ive got time.

I wouldn't like to see a lot of characters killed off just for the heck of it. However everyone living wouldn't ring true either.

I argee, that is exactly what I wanted to say. Because I read this topic, and again, you all talk mostly about the deaths of characters...

I'm surprised at those that feel that Dany is going to die. To me, it's been telegraphed since the very beginning that she will return and clean up the mess that is the kingdom after everyone has killed everyone else off -- bringing her dragons with her, and in essence starting over again (history repeating itself) with her line -- except she will have learned through her travels how to be a real ruler.

Well, I thought that first...

But this sounds too predictable to me. I think it is just not Martin's style to be so predictable.

I personally would like Jon to live...

He doesn't have to be on throne, but I would like him to live.

Unless GRRM bucks his habits from the first 4 books, I don't think any of the POV characters sith the Iron Throne. Correct me if I'm wrong, but to my knowledge, none of the crowned kings in the series have been POVs. Robert, Joffrey, Tommin, Robb, Baelon, Renly, Ueron. None were POV. The closest would be Cercei, but she is only Regent.

This leaves open the strong possibility for Gendry for me.

I see good things happening for the Starks. What, I can't guess. It was the actions of the Starks that blew up the realm (Ned's "coup" attempt and Cat arresting Tyrion) and to close the circle they should have a strong hand in making the realm whole again.

But above all else. long live Tyrion!

In terms of who will "win" the Game of Thrones and sit the Iron Throne, I suspect that at the end of the current situation/conflicts Westerosi society will be irrevocably altered and that the single hereditary monarchy will either not exist or be on the way to being greatly changed (e.g. as England moved toward a Parliamentarymonarchy over a period of time {not necessarily that form specifically but a change of similar magnitude}).

sPh

Happily ever after...no. even for someone that survives all the way through, each person has suffered so much loss to this point that happy will be a long time coming to anyone. Relieved ever after may be a stronger possibility.

If anyone is to have that happily ever after ending my money would be on Sansa. She always wanted a knight to marry, and well, if Sandor can make a comeback there is a chance that they would end up together...and even that would not be a perfect happy ending for her.

Happily ever after...no. even for someone that survives all the way through, each person has suffered so much loss to this point that happy will be a long time coming to anyone. Relieved ever after may be a stronger possibility.

If anyone is to have that happily ever after ending my money would be on Sansa. She always wanted a knight to marry, and well, if Sandor can make a comeback there is a chance that they would end up together...and even that would not be a perfect happy ending for her.

Maybe. Though personally, I'd sooner see her end up married to Un-Gregor...

Maybe. Though personally, I'd sooner see her end up married to Un-Gregor...

I agree....I'm not an S&S shipper, but it looks like the closest thing (at this time) to what could be a happy ending. Unless a massage is involved for Tyrion somewhere...

I agree....I'm not an S&S shipper, but it looks like the closest thing (at this time) to what could be a happy ending. Unless a massage is involved for Tyrion somewhere...

I am ashamed to say that it took me 2-3 seconds to connect the massage to the happy ending theme...

Yeah, no happy endings... especially for Sansa (PLEASE?!?!?), if someone has to grow up to be the fairytale princess that gets the prince and rules peacefully for the rest of her days, let it be Arya (and let keeping the kingdom peaceful and serene be a bloody affair with lots of killing and torture)...

sure. a happy ending for the millions of small folk who don't have leading roles in the story, who rarely speak, and mostly get slaughtered, starved, conscripted, reaved, raped etc.

as for our many protagonists, many will die, most will suffer and whoever is left will struggle to comes to terms with it all. some of them will pass through their pains and losses to find happiness.

sure. a happy ending for the millions of small folk who don't have leading roles in the story, who rarely speak, and mostly get slaughtered, starved, conscripted, reaved, raped etc.

as for our many protagonists, many will die, most will suffer and whoever is left will struggle to comes to terms with it all. some of them will pass through their pains and losses to find happiness.

Imagine how pleasing it would be if this turns out to be the series where the heroes fail and all is ultimately lost in the end... maybe a handful of wildlings survive to dream of spring, or something like that... Wouldn't that be a kick in the pants?

I am ashamed to say that it took me 2-3 seconds to connect the massage to the happy ending theme...

Yeah, no happy endings... especially for Sansa (PLEASE?!?!?), if someone has to grow up to be the fairytale princess that gets the prince and rules peacefully for the rest of her days, let it be Arya (and let keeping the kingdom peaceful and serene be a bloody affair with lots of killing and torture)...

would that really be a happy ending for her? That would be another ironic twist based on where her character has always been - in the mud, scab covered, practicing with a stick. being the fairytale princess for her would be a hell...

as for your other post - the good guys losing...while I wouldn't want that, this is definitely a series that I wouldn't count the possibility out..."evil shall always triumph because good is dumb"...

Archived