Are you expecting a happy ending to ASoIaF?

crosser

Probably the ending will fit the rest of the series ie. he won't bolt on a happy finale just to please fans, but nor will he kill everyone off just to spite them either. We'll just have to wait and see exactly what happens, but my guess is it'll be worth waitin for.

My guess is that a few of the favorites will get wasted...

I think the death list will include...

Dany. She just seems destined to the ultimate hero's death, probably taking her dragons with her. (And I will weep)

Arya. I've half excepted her to die since AGOT. My mantra in every book is "at least Arya is still alive". Still I just have a feeling that George will be sleeping on the couch for a few night after ADOS (Though I really hope I'm wrong).

Tyrion. Tyrion seems destined for great things, but also a great death.

Jaime. If he makes it though the series I will be quite perturbed.

Cersei. Because see seems bent on killing herself.

Brienne. I could see her going either way. I hope she makes it through.

Doran. Because I think he is in a pit of snakes that don't understand his real motives.

And many more...

I do think that the ending will be over all happy. I really doubt the others will win and cover Westeros in an unending night. But that it will be marred by the people that we lost along the way. And the crimes that have gone unpunished.

For instance while there is part of me that thinks Arya will die, I'm almost certain Sansa will live, which will seem very "unfair" to me. So in all I think "bitter sweet" will probably be a good way to describe it. :)

I agree on cersei, and doran, but for the rest, I sorta doubt it. Brienne still has a quest to accomplish, and I think she wont let herself die till she does, Jaime I just dont see dying, and you might be right on tyrion. Im not really sure about the others

Hi all,

Really new here; finished all 4 books in the span of the last 3 months. Completely addicted and love them to death.

With Martin's tendency to kill the good and bad characters alike, are you expecting a 'happy' ending at the conclusion of the series. I'm hoping he does the fans homage and leaves us feeling nice and tingly inside, but I can't look past the chance that he does the opposite.

Perhaps he will end the series only to pick it up again as part of a new series set in the future.

Welcome to the board.

If you can even imagine a "happy" ending you must be reading a different series than I am ;) but then again i'm opposed to happy endings for the most part.

I highly doubt that the series will be taken up in the future

I do think Dany will end up dead, mostly because Martin has said that the person who ends up on the Iron Throne will be somebody no one expected, and Dany's the obvious choice here.

have we ever considered that Jaime will end up on the Throne?

pretty ironic and twisty, sounds like GRRM to me...

All our favourites will end in an inferno of fire and blood - one last battle to end them all. Only one person will be standing, and as Arya sees the total devastation she breaks... Critically wounded, she will find a horse and ride away into the sunset. Somewhere along a river she will see a tree that looks vaguely familiar, and sit down there to wait for death. After she passes out, a cloaked man with half his face burned off will find her. Gently, he picks her up and brings her with him to an island in the river - among the smoking ruins he nurses her back to health.

Then they go off looking for Gendry and Sansa. *sniff*

I'm not expecting a happy ending at all to this story. As to which characters will remain standing I won't even guess...

When did he say that? :unsure:

If that's true then i think the Iron Throne will go to ......... Theon :mellow:

I'm gonna be honest here, I'm committing hearsay... Its been talked about on the board before and I think (can someone help me out here) it comes from ssm somewhere.

have we ever considered that Jaime will end up on the Throne?

pretty ironic and twisty, sounds like GRRM to me...

Yeah, that possible ending has been discussed before and personally I think it would be great! I love the idea of Jaime, once again, sitting on the Iron Throne waiting for someone to come and claim it, as he did after the death of Aerys.

- Lannistark

Considering the other things Martin has said - namely that some characters not only take a life on their own but live or die by these choices - I would say that even he would have difficulty in telling you just how bitter or sweet..

No, from what he has mentioned with some strong emotion for the ending he's got quite planned out. But the journy or tale is the part that he dosn't really know.

Hi all,

Really new here; finished all 4 books in the span of the last 3 months. Completely addicted and love them to death.

With Martin's tendency to kill the good and bad characters alike, are you expecting a 'happy' ending at the conclusion of the series. I'm hoping he does the fans homage and leaves us feeling nice and tingly inside, but I can't look past the chance that he does the opposite.

Perhaps he will end the series only to pick it up again as part of a new series set in the future.

For my own part i'm hoping for a not so happy ending. If GRRM goes all Robin Hobb on me I will track him down and kill him myself.

I believe he will give us one of those ending where you are happy that what was wanted was accomplished, but it leaves you heartless and torn apart for all the pricess paid, and the thought of all those things that are out of reach now that what has happened happened. A sort of incomplete feeling.

Hey, who says that he said "It will be somebody youll never expect" to make us think its not Dany, or Jon, and that its way to obvious, and then does it and were all thrown off our feet. Oh god, I hope not.

I have a feeling that this whole series is just one big sad story, with a huge lesson of how the nature of human beings taints our world. That we all need not be divided, but unified.

Everybody knows, the pack survives, and the lone wolf goes.

Bittersweet ending probably means victory over the Others but death for most of the major protagonists (Jon, Dany for sure). As for the suprise about who sits on the Iron Throne, my money is on Tyrion (I definetely don't see him ending up dead).

For a good ending . deaths to include, but not limited to: Cersei, Dany, Sansa, LF, Undead Catelyn, all the Kingsguard but Jamie and Loras, Janos Slynt, Pyatt Pree, Rickon and Bran if he cannot be happy. I suppose Margaery will die.

I will be unhappy if Jon or Arya dies.

I think I've written this before, but I think the ending will have Jon and Dany dead fighting the Others, the realms ruined by war, and the last scene will be Bran rebuilding the wall at the start of spring.

With many of the Houses we've come to love or love to hate ruined or in the process of rebuilding, I think that would be bittersweet enough.

Bittersweet means Littlefinger will humbly agree to sit the Iron Throne for the good of the Seven Kingdoms after a vast majority of the other "players" end up wight bait and the last scene will be him ascending the steps, sitting on the throne, and looking out over the crowd with a well satisfied smile.

And yes, for some strange perverted twisted reason that even I don't understand, this ending would satisfy me.

Guest Ser Jaime

I'm hoping for an ending that leans more towards the bitter than the sweet.

Too many good series have been nearly ruined by a tacked-on happy ending.

I'm guessing the "sweet" part will be the Others being defeated and the Seven Kingdoms looking forward to the promise of spring.

The "bitter" probably involves a whole bunch of characters not surviving the final book.

I do think Dany will end up dead, mostly because Martin has said that the person who ends up on the Iron Throne will be somebody no one expected, and Dany's the obvious choice here.

I've always thought Jon was the obvious choice. So if Martin said that, that may take him out of contention. Is Bran also an obvious choice? Arya wouldn't necessarily be an obvious choice. I hope by "no one expected" he doesn't mean some side character.

Archived